streaming music to ...... cassette?

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by ChuckyBuck, May 25, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ChuckyBuck

ChuckyBuck Forum Resident Thread Starter

So my car is old and the audio options are limited. There's no great way to hook up the smartphone but it does have a cassette player. It has occurred to me that I could stream about any album I want from my streaming service to a cassette deck for recording and personal playback in the car. A little bit of the old and a little bit of the new. Audio quality should be fine for motoring about. It's probably in violation of some agreement that I never read though.

CrazyCatz likes this.
  2. Stone Turntable

Stone Turntable Independent Head

How retro-futuristic of you!

:nauga:

[​IMG]

3. LEONPROFF

LEONPROFF Forum Resident

There used to be at least and adapter for cassette players that you had a mini-jack that you could plug any type of player into as long as it had a small headphone out. Not the zenith of audio quality but it worked.

4. LEONPROFF

LEONPROFF Forum Resident

5. MonkeyLizard

MonkeyLizard Forum Resident

Love cassette threads

6. ChuckyBuck

I've gone thru a lot of cassette adapters. They are very inconsistent. They seem to sound good one minute then lousy the next. I go get a new one but it's the same. Also I'm old enough that fiddling around with my phone while I'm driving could be dangerous.

Or maybe I'm just looking for a good excuse to buy a cassette deck.

Aftermath, MonkeyLizard and CrazyCatz like this.
  7. CrazyCatz

CrazyCatz Great shot kid. Don't get cocky!

Stone Turntable likes this.
  8. HiFi Guy 008

HiFi Guy 008 Forum Resident

So let me get this straight. You want to record your streaming service to a cassette, then play in the car. Or, do you want to play your digital lossy files from your digital device through one of those awful sounding cassette "adapters?"

Are you looking for the best way to record streaming to a cassette at home to then play in your car? There are some pretty good ways to do that, cheaply.

If you don't have digital in your car, stick with cassettes. And some cassette car players are much better sounding than the "adapters" from digital sources.

Shak Cohen likes this.
  9. Gretsch6136

Gretsch6136 Forum Resident

Definitely record your streamed music onto cassette at home and simply use the cassettes in the car. Far better in term of minimising distraction whilst driving, will sound loads better, and you won't have cords hanging down the dashboard.

ChuckyBuck likes this.
  10. ChuckyBuck

I'm thinking of recording to an actual cassette tape. I think you may be right about quality.

11. sberger

sberger Dream Baby Dream

I've done that, put my Squeezebox on shuffle and recorded 90 minutes of music on cassette for car rides. Works fine. And it's fun.

Shak Cohen likes this.
  12. Shak Cohen

Shak Cohen Forum Resident

Should be easy enough. Headphone or phono out from your digital device, to phono in on your cassette deck, set recording level, bias, and away you go.....

:righton:

13. Trapper J

Trapper J Senior Member

Go to your local thrift shop and buy a bunch of cassettes... Done

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.