2016 AAA Vinyl

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by LavidDange, Feb 11, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. mikemoon

mikemoon Forum Resident

There's another AAA release that Scott Hull has been working on that I read about in the most recent TapeOp magazine. I will have to go back and see if I can find the name.

2. mikemoon

mikemoon Forum Resident

Keep us posted with what you find out. This sounds like it has all the ingredients for an all analog vinyl release. I guess the only place to order right now is directly through the site of the link provided?

3. SuperFuzz

SuperFuzz Forum Resident

Released in 2012... According to her CD Baby page and Facebook announcement.
    ♫ "Live At Willisau" - Allison Miller. Listen @cdbaby »
    Allison Miller's BOOM TIC BOOM "Live at Willisau" Vinyl Release party! »

4. LavidDange

LavidDange Forum Resident Thread Starter

Ah! In that case....

5. LavidDange

Aim is to create a list of new 2016 vinyl releases that are confirmed AAA. Aim is NOT to create another discussion of digital vs analog.

Applewood Road - S/T (mastered @Gearbox Records: Applewood Road: Applewood Road on PledgeMusic »)
    Vanessa Fernandez - When the Levee Breaks (mastered by Bernie Grundman)
    Ashley Monroe - Live @Third Man Records (direct-to-acetate, mastered by George Ingram & Wes Garland)
    The H8teful Eight Soundtrack - Live from Abbey Road Studios
    Squrl - Live @Third Man Records (direct to tape, mastering TBA)
    The New Mastersounds - Nashville Session (mastering TBA, The New Mastersounds To Release 'The Nashville Session' »)
    Death From Above 1979 - Live @ Third Man Records (direct-to acetate)
    Eric Clapton - Still Do (Vinyl mastered and cut by Bernie Grundman)
    Blood Ceremony - Lord of Misrule (cut by Noel Summerville @3345)
    Dave Mathews Band - Crash (mastered by Chris Bellman) - First time released on vinyl

mikemoon likes this.
  6. cjp123

cjp123 Forum Resident

LavidDange and mikemoon like this.
  7. mikemoon

mikemoon Forum Resident

I'm glad you found this. I personally have an interest in post 2000 all analog productions. I eventually want to have an lp shelf for these releases or most of them (that I like). I think at some point we can start a list dating back to then. It would be resourceful but time consuming. I already have a ton of albums noted.

mr.dave, LavidDange and POGunter like this.
  8. LavidDange

Yeah, but now you got me listening to her 2016 album Otis Was A Polar Bear. Any indication that this is all analog?

9. LavidDange

Aim is to create a list of new 2016 vinyl releases that are confirmed AAA. Aim is NOT to create another discussion of digital vs analog.

Applewood Road - S/T (mastered @Gearbox Records: Applewood Road: Applewood Road on PledgeMusic »)
    Ashley Monroe - Live @Third Man Records (direct-to-acetate, mastered by George Ingram & Wes Garland)
    The New Mastersounds - Nashville Session (mastering TBA, The New Mastersounds To Release 'The Nashville Session' »)
    Dave Mathews Band - Crash (mastered by Chris Bellman) - First time released on vinyl
    Shabazz Palaces - Live @ Third Man Records (direct-to-acetate)

10. mikemoon

mikemoon Forum Resident

FYI, The New Mastersounds is recorded and mastered/cut at Welcome to 1979. Just put it on the platter for the first spin!

Demitri and LavidDange like this.
  11. sberger

sberger Dream Baby Dream

12. mikemoon

mikemoon Forum Resident

13. Steve Baker

Steve Baker Forum Resident

DMB "Crash" must have this.

dobyblue and LavidDange like this.
  14. sberger

sberger Dream Baby Dream

They claim "Remastered from the original analog tapes"

15. LavidDange

Really looking forward to hearing that one!

16. LavidDange

The New Mastersounds - Nashville Session (mastered and cut @Welcome to 1979)

17. LavidDange

Any idea who/where the record was mastered by/from? Also, is this a remastered album?

18. sberger

sberger Dream Baby Dream

If you check the link provided you'll see that this contains 6 "new" songs, plus 5 alternate takes from "The River". Mixed from the analog multi tracks by Brian Kehew and remastered by John Baldwin.

LavidDange likes this.
  19. mikemoon

mikemoon Forum Resident

John Baldwin does excellent work and he is the one who remastered it but he doesn't cut vinyl. A vinyl release can be "Remastered from OMT" but not be all analog, if that makes sense. Sometimes that phrase, does indeed mean all analog but it takes further research to determine if the statement is indeed AAA.

In saying that, it should sound good. I own about 30 LITA releases and none are all analog to my knowledge. The stuff being offered through them by Gearbox appears to be AAA.

LavidDange likes this.
  20. sberger

sberger Dream Baby Dream

I'll send them an email. And yeah, it sounds great.

mikemoon and LavidDange like this.
  21. radiogod

radiogod Forum Resident

Phish - Hoist

Never released on vinyl until this year.

From their website: "In September 2015, Chris Bellman at Bernie Grundman Mastering cut the lacquers from the 1/2″ flat master reels for the vinyl edition, (the colored version of which will be released on Record Store Day)."

22. LavidDange

The New Mastersounds - Nashville Session (mastered and cut @Welcome to 1979)
    Phish - Hoist (mastered by Chris Bellman) - First time released on vinyl

Mr. Explorer likes this.
  23. sberger

sberger Dream Baby Dream

I must have missed discussion surrounding those Back To Black titles, and a look at the website didn't provide any confirmation. Where has it been confirmed that they are AAA? I know that they are mastered from the analog tapes, but didn't know they were completely analog.

scotth likes this.
  24. Classicrock

Classicrock Senior Member

Unfortunately the old Back to Black specific site has been closed. There was a graphical representation of a rack of Lps from which you could click on a title and there was a details page. These particular Lps had details of where the vinyl was cut from the tapes only for those that weren't digital. All lps could be said to be remastered from an analogue master at some stage of their creation. Listening to these titles confirms their quality over other B to B issues. Just compare Sandy (GZ DMM digital) with North Star Grassman and The Ravens. Think this was done at the old Decca mastering facility but the details I cannot remember and they are gone from Universal web sites.

DeRosa likes this.
  25. krisjay

krisjay Psychedelic Wave Rider

As we know, that doesn't mean anything really. Other than the remaster was from the original tapes, doesn't mean an all analog chain. Certainly could be hi rez files from the master tapes. I'm not familiar with this release, so I have no idea. Hopefully for those who know this title, it is AAA.

Paully, LavidDange and mikemoon like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.