High gain MM Phono Preamps?

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by russk, May 25, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. russk

russk Forum Resident Thread Starter

Hi all,

I'm getting a new tube amp, a SEP design, with an input sensitivity range of 1.32v to 1.55v depending on tube selection. Did the math for my current cartridge and for the Exact that I intend to get once everything else is done and will need right around 48db of gain for an ideal match. So I am looking for suggestions for for phono preamps with sufficient gain.

Thanks

2. Erik Tracy

Erik Tracy Meet me at the Green Dragon for an ale

Pretty sure the Jolida jd9 can be set for 55dB of gain for MM.

russk likes this.
  3. thegage

thegage Forum Currency Nerd

What's the price range?

russk likes this.
  4. russk

I'd like to keep it under a 1000.00 USD. Originally I was planning on the 400.00 iFi Iphono so something in that range.

5. russk

Thanks I'll check it out

6. stereoguy

stereoguy Its Gotta Be True Stereo!

Another vote for the Jolida J9. That's my preamp and I love it.

7. TheVU

TheVU Forum Resident

Musical Surroundings Phonomena II+

40, 44, 46, etc gain.

It's a dream boat.

russk likes this.
  8. jupiterboy

jupiterboy Forum Residue

Last edited: May 25, 2016
    russk likes this.
  9. russk

Thanks for the response. What gain settings does the Jolida have?

10. russk

That is something I was wondering. I remember people doing the math in the 1980s and deciding on what amount of gain was needed. So I ran the numbers and with the lower gain tubes I need 48.9db of gain and was wondering what I could get away with. I think I remember hearing you need to stay within two dB buy wasn't sure.

11. avanti1960

avanti1960 Forum Resident

lehman black cube se ii . running the ortofon 2m black at 46db and it is every bit as incredible as michael fremer said it is in the analog planet review.

12. stereoguy

stereoguy Its Gotta Be True Stereo!

Any settings you will ever need. It's got a 3 position dipswitch that will support any cart, MM or MC. It also has high output rca Jacks and low output rca jacks. And it sounds great if you roll the 12ax7s with 50s or 60s tubes.

13. Bob_in_OKC

Bob_in_OKC Forum Resident

The PS Audio GCPH is probably easily found, although out of production.

Bubbamike likes this.
  14. Brando4905

Brando4905 Forum Resident

I owned a Jd9, very nice sounding phono pre, however, it is unbelievably high gain. I don't remember what the lowest was on the high gain outputs, but it was still something like 55 or 60db. You can use the low gain outputs, but the way those outputs are designed, they don't sound as good as the high outputs. Here's a thread that sort of explains it way better than I can.
    Vinyl Asylum ยป

I don't have the manual anymore, but I'm pretty sure it states to use the high outputs for mm carts. Don't get me wrong, the jd9 is a really nice sounding pre, but I'm not sure you can get 48db of gain on it in a quality you'd be happy with.

15. gov

gov Forum Resident

Heed quasar is 50db...not under 1k but a terrific sounding stage that also gives you MC options with a good deal of flexibility.

16. bajaed

bajaed Forum Resident

I think the JD9 has 60 dB of gain on the hi outputs with MM setting. That's what I use with my HOMC Dynavector 10x5 and it sounds great. Definitely not too much gain with that cart.

17. Shiver

Shiver Forum Resident

iFi is either 40 or 46 dB options through the MM input, which you've no doubt worked out! I used the latter on the DL-110 (which is quoted as 1.6 mV but have seen tested at 2.2) with great results. Wouldn't have wanted any more gain. 40 dB was preferable the preceding M97xe/SAS. It's invaluable to switch around and hear the differences for yourself.

18. jupiterboy

jupiterboy Forum Residue

This is my experience as well. Gain is an important detail. Phonomena II can hit 40, 44, 46, 48, 51.5, 52.7, 53.7, 56, 57.5, 58.4, 59.4, and 60 dB. I have the DL-110 at 44 dB currently, but have listened to it at 40 dB for months at a time. Having these finely tuned options is really nice, as you mention when swapping cartridges and also when rolling tubes.

I suspect many people's reactions to phono preamps are more related to gain than we might think.

19. Shiver

Shiver Forum Resident

Totally agree. The 110 worked fine at 40 dB in my system and could have lived with happily, in isolation, thinking that was 'it' for the cart - but the way it came to life at 46 was eye-opening.

Ditto the difference between 60 and 66 for the Benz (LOMC). Still with the iFi. Fine sound from either but notably more together sound at 60 (again, at least in my system).

...That Phonomena is giving me flexibility esteem issues now though!

20. russk

Matching gain to your input sensitivity is definitely big with phono preamps. In my experience matching things like gain and input impedance are way more important than a lot of the stuff people mess with. I'm trying to hit within 1db of ideal.

I read somewhere the new iFi Iphono has a 48db setting. If it does I think it will be between the Phonomena and the iFi for the flexibility. I like the looks of the Budgie but it's pretty low gain at 40db, for me.

Thanks for the suggestion so far. Anymore out there.

21. Shiver

Shiver Forum Resident

Ah cool. Didn't realise they'd bought a new one out!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.