Music for Tube Amp Listening — Recommendations?

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by Stone Turntable, May 25, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Stone Turntable

Stone Turntable Independent Head Thread Starter

I wasn’t sure whether to post this in the music forum or here, but it sorta seems more hardware-centric....

A hi-fi friend has given me a long-term loan of his early 90’s vintage Cary Signature SLA 70 tube amp, which had been languishing in his basement for many years. I’ve heard lots of tube systems at audio dealers and hi-fi shows, but this is the first time I’ll have the chance for an extended at-home audition of that classic old-school valve amplifier sound. I love my Musical Fidelity A300 integrated amp, but it’s fun to try something different!

**Without getting into debating tube vs. SS or the pros and cons of this particular amp or any argumentative stuff like that,** I wonder if you tube guys have any favorite recordings that you feel shine or otherwise benefit via tube-amp playback?

Slightly silly topic, I know, given all the variables of amplifier design, etc. — so feel free to mock the premise of this thread — but I thought it might be fun to solicit a few playlist suggestions as I sit in the dark staring at the groovy orange glow and wondering what to play...

:nauga:

2. ls35a

ls35a Forum Resident

3. Benjamin Reed

Benjamin Reed Well-Known Member

My tube amp really likes Max Richter from sleep

ls35a likes this.
  4. sberger

sberger Dream Baby Dream

50's and 60's jazz. Like this

[​IMG]

or this:

[​IMG]

SandAndGlass, trd and Stone Turntable like this.
  5. slovell

slovell Retired Mudshark

Steely Dan, Donald Fagen.

Stone Turntable and progrocker like this.
  6. Potential Energy

Potential Energy Forum Resident

Jazz, as noted above
    Fleetwood Mac - Rumors
    Steely Dan

LitHum05 and Stone Turntable like this.
  7. VinylSoul

VinylSoul Forum Resident

Just about anything recorded before 1970 was done with tubes throughout. I don't recommend re-issues most don't compare to the originals.

Stone Turntable likes this.
  8. ServingTheMusic

ServingTheMusic Forum Resident

The music has no idea whether you are playing it through solid state, tubes, or a megaphone.

I honestly have never heard of "tube friendly" music. This is a first.

F1nut likes this.
  9. thegage

thegage Forum Currency Nerd

10. Stone Turntable

Stone Turntable Independent Head Thread Starter

Well, I said go ahead and mock me! I guess I’m either a groundbreaking original thinker or the first moke dumb enough to think this might be a thing.

:nauga:

I know that “tube sound” is a highly controversial, highly debatable topic. The fascinating Wikipedia entry on the subject says so. On the other hand, there’s a lot of people (including Steve Hoffman) who wax lyrical about the euphonious qualities tube gear can bring to music playback. Obviously that mostly means music playback in general, but does it really seem crazy that tubes might bring out the best in certain kinds of recordings? That same Wikipedia article notes:

The distortion content of class-A circuits (SE or PP) typically monotonically reduces as the signal level is reduced, asymptotic to zero during quiet passages of music.[15] For this reason class-A amplifiers are especially desired for classical and acoustic music etc. cf. class-B and AB amplifiers, for which the amplitude of the crossover distortion is more or less constant, and thus the distortion relative to signal increases as the music gets quieter.

I’m just excited to be able to live with a tube amp for awhile, to see what all the fuss is about.

SandAndGlass likes this.
  11. R. Totale

R. Totale The Voice of Reason

My old pal Murray really opened my ears in the late 1970s when he played me Belafonte: Live at Carnegie Hall through his carefully assembled system including tube electronics I don't remember, Quad electrostatics and a Decca moving coil cartridge.

12. timind

timind phorum rezident

I'd say listen to what you enjoy with your Musical Fidelity. That should prove interesting.

13. ejman

ejman Music, fountain of life!

Just play the music you normally enjoy with your usual system with the MF A300 and report back. Who knows you might be a convert as I was from a fairly high end SS amp (Conrad Johnson) to an actually much lower price considerably lower power tube power amp.

14. ServingTheMusic

Ha, I will give you credit, you are taking it like a mensch.:cool:

Don't get caught up in audiophile mental masturbation. Listen to the SAME damn music you would on any other day.

F1nut and Stone Turntable like this.
  15. ServingTheMusic

You know what is funny??? Solid state is "exotic" to me.

LitHum05 likes this.
  16. SandAndGlass

SandAndGlass Twilight Forum Resident

Get some nice laid back style Jazz records. Bill Evans is a great suggestion.

But you need some nice vocals. Besides instruments, tubes can work magic on vocals.

As far as female vocals and great reproduction values, Diane Krall is the old fart's camp of audiophiles go-to recording artists.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.