Bob Dylan Album, "Fallen Angels" (05/20/2016) *

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Dark Horse 77, Feb 2, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Considering the inherent similarities of both records I find it "interesting" that the new album is getting very average (2 to 3 stars) reviews across the board, when Shadows received almost universal high acclaim (4 or 5 stars). I wonder if the press thinks we better not encourage ol' Bob too much with his latest phase? Or is everyone getting board with standards?

2. matt79rome89

matt79rome89 Forum Resident

Your wish could be somewhat of a reality if they ever release all of the 2002 recordings from the Masked and Anonymous sessions. This from Wikipedia (sorry to derail the thread a bit, but just replying)

"Masked & Anonymous marked the first (and besides one song on The Bootleg Series Vol. 8, only) release of "live" material from this unit. According to director Larry Charles, who recorded an interview for the film's DVD release, 20 or more songs were recorded for the film, with Charles telling Dylan he could play anything he wanted. For the most part, the songs were recorded at Stage 6, Ray-Art Studios, Canoga Park, California, on July 18, 2002. Though all were presumably filmed, only a handful were used. The following songs were featured in the film, with unedited versions included in the soundtrack release: "Down In The Flood" (a song from The Basement Tapes), "Dixie" (traditional), "Diamond Joe" (traditional), and "Cold Irons Bound" (a song from Time Out Of Mind).

The following songs were used for the film, but were never issued on CD: "Drifter's Escape" (a song from John Wesley Harding), "I'll Remember You" (a song from Empire Burlesque), "Blowin' in the Wind" (from The Freewheelin' Bob Dylan), "Watching The River Flow" (a song dating from 1971, when it was released as a single), "Dirt Road Blues" (from Time Out Of Mind) and "Amazing Grace" (traditional). Of these songs, only "I'll Remember You" was featured unedited and uninterrupted in the film.

As mentioned, "Standing In The Doorway" (another song from Time Out Of Mind) was featured as an alternate scene on the DVD. "Knockin' on Heaven's Door" (a song Dylan first recorded for Pat Garrett & Billy The Kid) was also filmed, but only a brief portion appears in the DVD's supplemental material. A new 'fiddle' arrangement of "If You See Her, Say Hello" (from Blood on the Tracks) was also filmed, but it only appears as background music during the DVD's supplemental material. Larry Charles mentions "All Along the Watchtower" (a song from John Wesley Harding) during his interview on the DVD - saying Dylan intended to play it until the very last moment, then decided not to."

3. revolution_vanderbilt

revolution_vanderbilt Forum Resident

Shadows had a somber and stately presence to it. Fallen Angels is a bit more fun and romantic. It can't be interpreted as having some deeper message (not that I think Shadows had any message either, but it's always fair game to read too deeply into Dylan!). I recall (not that I was following him much at the time, although ironically I did get the album as a birthday gift, making it my first Dylan record) that Together Through Life suffered some criticism too. Again, another "lighter" album. It seems the only Dylan that can get those high marks and acclaim is the dark doom and gloom Dylan. If he pulls a smile, folks get confused!

Vinyl_Blues, Stan and mark ab like this.
  4. I think the new is as good and maybe slightly better.

5. Tribute

Tribute Senior Member

It is all part of one "whole", and it makes no sense to praise one and knock the other. It is not as if the songs (as written) or performances themselves differ considerably in quality

Vinyl_Blues, dee, Mazzy and 1 other person like this.
  6. notesfrom

notesfrom Forum Resident

Is it as good as World Gone Wrong?

7. Tom Campbell

Tom Campbell Forum Resident

The Metacritic site, which aggregates English-language reviews (i.e. US and UK) and tallies an overall score, currently has Shadows with an 82, and Fallen Angels with a 78. Not much difference, really.

revolution_vanderbilt likes this.
  8. I love world gone wrong. It and its companion record are wonderful.

9. culabula

culabula Unread author.

It's a rather spiffing record which I had occasion to play yesterday but to my way of thinking, firmly leaves the companion piece in the ha'penny place.

George C., enro99 and Carserguev like this.
  10. George P

George P Notable Member

What is the ha'penny place?

11. culabula

culabula Unread author.

"In áit na leithphigne - in the ha'penny place". On the backfoot, in second place, etc.

12. George P

George P Notable Member

OK, thanks.

enro99 likes this.
  13. DTK

DTK Forum Resident

The last album they suspected Bob was coasting, now they know he's coasting.

SteveM likes this.
  14. babyblue

babyblue Patches Pal!

Since this new LP didn't come with a CD copy, I made my own disc and included the Shadows songs as well. The two albums together make a terrific listen. Fallen Angels definitely has a lighter, more upbeat touch though.

shutdown66, HominyRhodes and mark ab like this.
  15. Sordel

Sordel Forum Resident

I haven't heard this album yet, but the orchestra isn't the only difference: Frank had the best arrangers of his day, his voice, and a few years on Bob as well. If Dylan had taken the orchestra and Frank the five-piece band the comparison - however invidious - would probably still have broken the same way.

16. notesfrom

notesfrom Forum Resident

WGW is one of my favorites. I don't listen to the earlier one, tho.

17. keithdylan

keithdylan Master of His Own Domain

I like the feel of the songs on Shadows more. If I were making a video of the first album it would be shot and performed in a smokey, dimly lit club in front of about 20 people. Fallen Angels would be set walking down the street with a jacket slung over the singer's shoulder. I also think it is too easy to dismiss Angels as Shadows outtakes. The albums each have their own vibe, I think when Shadows was tracked, what was left off was just as planned as what was on it. It is interesting to me that both records have really close running times, even though Angels is two songs longer. It's almost as if Dylan wanted them to be about as long as those types of albums were in that era. If it was just about releasing the material, it could have been one cd. I think Dylan was looking at the complete package/presentation.

18. rmath84

rmath84 Forum Resident

2002 piano tour detour? A new Dylan album featuring Warren Zevon, Neil Young, Grateful Dead, Rolling Stones, and George Harrison songs? I could go for that.

19. ZAck Scott

ZAck Scott Senior Member

Just bought this today. Really loving it! Bought it on vinyl and gave my father the digital download code. It kinda reminds me of Willie Nelson's Stardust. A very relaxing album and Bob's voice is really fit for this music!

Mazzy, mark ab and HominyRhodes like this.
  20. MaximilianRG

MaximilianRG Forum Resident

Has anyone else wondered if this trend is backlash from Dylan resulting from accusations of plagiarism? Now we're all starving for original material. I own and love these last few albums, but two cover albums in a row is a bit brutal isn't it?

21. Tribute

Tribute Senior Member

Not at all. But I do believe that he is recognizing that people must hear him as a singer, not as a songwriter

dylankicks and mark ab like this.
  22. Tribute

Tribute Senior Member

Here is one way Dylan could both please and disappoint fans at the same time: Make his next pair of albums all instrumentals. Perhaps he can still do some great guitar work with time in the studio. If he took out his harps and included solos, and maybe reunited with his great "string band players" of the past, some instrumental albums would be great for me. Of course, he might rather go in the studio and record some spoken word albums, reading his favorite poets.

George C. and mark ab like this.
  23. sennj

sennj I'm slower than I look...

24. revolution_vanderbilt

revolution_vanderbilt Forum Resident

I finally got to give it a proper and thorough listen. It's a lovely album. I like that the songs are short. The arrangements are light, and Dylan is wise to go through the songs once, without repeating or extending or them. Nothing on here has the gravitas that is present throughout Shadows In The Night (not that every song is that way. I certainly think a few titles could be swapped with each other without changing the feel of the albums, but overall each album has a distinct identity). This is more playful and upbeat. Conceptually, this and Shadows may be very similar, but ultimately in execution they are but distant cousins. I look forward to seeing Dylan dole out a healthy dose of these old standards when he comes around to Forest Hills. Last time I saw him was in 2014, Shadows was yet to be released, and Stay With Me was the only number he was doing.

Vinyl_Blues and mark ab like this.
  25. RubenH

RubenH Forum Resident

My blue is almost perfectly flat, but has 6 or so little (2-3 mm) indentations per side that do not appear to affect the sound. The pressing is very clean and quiet; the cardboard pretty flimsy, but the inner sleeve is glossy and printed on 1 side with a reproduction of an old-time classified section from the newspaper, the other side having the musician credits. Keeper.

jumpinjulian likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.