Allman Brothers - New Remastered Box Set of 9 Albums (15 LPs) and High Resolution Downloads Coming

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by jhm, May 25, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. rstamberg

rstamberg Senior Member

I'm in for several of these. I'll finally be able to replace my copy of WIPE THE WINDOWS, CHECK THE OIL, DOLLAR GAS, which I lent to my friend Gary -- now long deceased, sadly -- in 1984. I explained to him that this was a first -- I do not lend or borrow records. I explained how I took care of my records and their respective album covers by putting them in protective plastic or Mylar sleeves, etc. I lent Gary the double album.

When I went to collect my beloved album, he handed it to me ... silently. Turns out he'd been playing darts one night ... need I finish the story? Both the cover and side one of record one were affected. I told him to keep the album as I no longer had any use for it.

Anyway, I'll finally be able to let go of this memory on July 22nd.

2. jhm

jhm Forum Resident Thread Starter

Here are closeup shots of some of the swag:

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

rstamberg and RiRiIII like this.
  3. mpayan

mpayan A Tad Rolled Off

"The peach crate, weighing in at approximately 26 pounds fully loaded, measures 15.25” x 13.625” x 13.625,” providing ample room for more vinyl LP storage."

No need to sell those mfsl and original lps! The peach crate has that problem in mind.

4. jhm

And a bigger shot of the whole enchilada:

[​IMG]

5. mpayan

mpayan A Tad Rolled Off

Is he the one that did the big Fillmore set? If so, that got good sq reviews. So thats a plus.

6. Myke

Myke Trying Not To Spook The Horse

Along with Idlewild South, and whatever that Velvet Underground thing was.

7. Myke

Bye the way @jhm , way to pimp, I mean, Thank You. :laugh:

jhm likes this.
  8. tubesandvinyl

tubesandvinyl Forum Resident

Curious to hear if these top the mfsl records.

9. jbraveman

jbraveman Forum Resident

$78.08 shipping to Ohio!

10. clhboa

clhboa Forum Resident

Cool! Because I think I'm going to have to pass on this one. I just really would like to upgrade my "Wipe The Windows...". It's a very cool package but I just blew a ton of money on the Elvis box set plus I own multiple copies of everything in the set so I'll probably pass.

Myke likes this.
  11. Myke

12. mpayan

mpayan A Tad Rolled Off

Noticed these are being done with the DMM method. That can sound pretty darn good or pretty thin and tonally out of wack. I think the Stones stuff was done well using that method though, so hopefully DMM will sound great on these also.

Doubt Ill get this (just not a big fan of much of the later ABB stuff without Duane)

But I might pick up the first four if they are done really well. Like I need them. I never have picked up any of the new mfsl ABB, wasnt that impressed with Idlewild South.

13. lucan_g

lucan_g Forum Resident

Why would you do that? They sound flawless to me.

14. sennj

sennj I'm slower than I look...

You could always be buried in this...

Double duty!

15. Sigma6

Sigma6 Forum Resident

Why include CD Quality files on the USB when the hires files will be available?

windfall likes this.
  16. jhm

So you don't have to pay again for a digital version of the new masterings to play on your computer or portable digital audio device? Since the files are AIFF, it looks like they primarily had Apple users in mind?

I mean I'm sure some people getting the set would've preferred free 24 bit versions on the USB stick, but it's better than nothing.

17. Marc Perman

Marc Perman Forum Resident

I was thinking the same thing. I can't imagine remasters of the first five albums sounding as good as the originals. Live At Fillmore East with pink Capricorn labels is off the charts great.

18. Sigma6

Sigma6 Forum Resident

I understand why they include digital files, but why not the hires versions is what I am saying.

19. noname74

noname74 Allegedly Canadian

Because its expensive enough as it is.

ARK and Myke like this.
  20. eelkiller

eelkiller One of the great unwashed

In all fairness to Kevin Reeves he has been mastering for quite some time. He does quality work, I have material he mastered back in the 90's (BB King, Raspberries are a couple)

21. Myke

I was going by what Bill told me... " 3 jobs." Glad to be corrected Barry, thanks.

22. Myke

Because I don't pack-rat. If these versions are what I'll reach for, in what's left of my life, I don't need one more thing to dust every week. If happy enough, I'll throw in my originals too. Our newest Nashville residents ( " hipsters to some " ) pay top dollar for records.

Last edited: May 25, 2016
    ARK likes this.
  23. eelkiller

eelkiller One of the great unwashed

Sorry Shawn, it looks like your money is no good. USA only. Spend the $400 X $1.35 elsewhere. :D Shipping would be another $200 X $1.35

noname74 and RiRiIII like this.
  24. Myke

About Direct Metal Mastering (DMM)
    Direct Metal Mastering (DMM) is an analogue audio disc mastering technique jointly developed by two German companies, Telefunken-Decca (TelDec) and Georg Neumann GmbH. The audio signal is cut directly to a copper disc whereby the traditional analogue audio disc master cutting process is cut into a lacquer-coated aluminum disc. The key advantage to DMM is the copper master disc can be plated to produce the required number of stampers using a one-step process. Lacquer master discs require electroforming a master (“father”), “mother,” and then stampers, in what is known as the traditional “three-step process.” The DMM copper disc serves as the “mother,” which bypasses the silvering process and two electroforming stages, thus reducing the risk of introducing noise that can be generated in the traditional lacquer master process. The advantage of DMM over acetate lacquers are both sonic and practical because of the rigidity of the master disc medium and no groove wall bounce-back effects after cutting, all of which preserves the original modulation details in the groove walls, offering a better high end frequency playback and quieter surface noises.

25. Myke

( in speaking of Richard Betts' Highway Call ) :

" My CD is a solid blackface, with white lettering at 6 o clock, made in USA in the hub & catalog no. / insert says Mastered by Kevin Reeves at Universal Mastering Studios-East 422 835 115-2 "

- ME 03/25/2011

I got nearly EVERYTHING wrong, per my own posts in the archives here.
    It wasn't Bill, it was Fred Blue, and Fillmore East was Kevin's 3rd mixing in surround job !!!!!
    :doh:

Last edited: May 26, 2016
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.