Simple Minds/New Gold Dream super deluxe set coming July 2016

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by morgan1098, Apr 12, 2016.

1. DTK

DTK Forum Resident

Yes, a blast to see them look so happy together.

2. cyclistsb

cyclistsb Forum Resident

Beyond disappointing that the Bluray only has the original tracks...what a waste of the format. Could do without all the extended, super extended, 12in extended, 12in extended edit, etc....I agree where are the live tracks?? They sound great live, very disappointing. Now the only question, do I get the Bluray or the Abby Road reissue? Hmmmm why make this so tough on us? If they included a hi rez download with the Abby road then that would be a no brainer. Anyone know if that is the case?

3. brimuchmuze

brimuchmuze Forum Resident

So a DVD-V? Disappointing.

Stuart S likes this.
  4. Stuart S

Stuart S Back Jack

Ploy to make you get the Blu Ray for Lossless.

Glad I have my DVD-A, The lossless and surround is as perfect as it gets.
    as good as the Roxy Music Avalon SACD 5.1

jsayers likes this.
  5. negative1

negative1 80s retro fan

the only artist i know that used a disc properly, in the case of a DVD, was brian tranceau (bt), who did that for his box set.

no other artist will ever do that, because no one would pay boxset prices for one bluray.

later

6. cyclistsb

cyclistsb Forum Resident

XTC did it for Drums and Wires, added a ton of material on the bluray for a few extra dollars. It's a waste of disk space not to add at least a couple b-sides or out takes to the format.

BigManRestless likes this.
  7. morgan1098

morgan1098 Forum Resident Thread Starter

The most recent box is Once Upon a Time, and it's still selling at full price. Once Upon A Time: Amazon.co.uk: Music »

The Sparkle box is a victim of the faulty DVD and misprinted booklet that came with the first pressing. They corrected the DVD, reprinted the booklet, and put out a second pressing, but by then I think people had given up. So that's why there are lots of corrected sets sitting in Universal's warehouse.

There is definitely a market for these box sets (and especially the forthcoming NGD, because the album is so revered/influential), but Universal may shoot itself in the foot again by releasing a set that is full of errors. It looks like they have gone the extra mile with this one in terms of mining the vaults. Hopefully there won't be technical problems!

8. morgan1098

morgan1098 Forum Resident Thread Starter

Paul Sinclair of Super Deluxe Edition has confirmation from Universal that the DVD will be DVD-V.
    Simon Cornwell of Dreamgiver, who worked on the set, has confirmation from Universal that the DVD will be the same as the OUAT and SITR DVDs, ie DVD-A/V.

Time will tell!

9. shirtandtie

shirtandtie Forum Resident

What was the original DVD released in 2005?

10. VeeDub

VeeDub Senior Member

It's a proper DVD-A, with 24/96 5.1 surround, plus DVD-Video-compatible DTS 5.1 and 24/96 PCM stereo. Both the stereo and 5.1 mixes were by Ronald Prent in 2005. I don't believe the original stereo mix is on it.

11. shirtandtie

OK. I'm no scholar when it comes to DVD Audio but isn't that what's in the box? Same same? How would it differ?

12. VeeDub

VeeDub Senior Member

Morgan1098 stated above that we have conflicting info about whether it's a DVD-Audio or DVD-Video. If it's only DVD-V, then the highest-quality codec possible for a surround mix is still lossy, such as DTS or Dolby Digital 5.1.

Uncompressed (PCM) sound in stereo is possible on a DVD-V, but not uncompressed surround.

13. shirtandtie

Oohhhhhh OK. It's a lossless/lossy question. Now that makes sense.

14. cyclistsb

cyclistsb Forum Resident

Kind of disappointed that all the live sessions were added to Sparkle in the Rain or Once Upon a Time. They even put the complete Live in the City of Lights in the CD box set...I really wish that had been done on the DVD or Bluray disk. Did they capture that show on film??? If so, what a shame :(

These box sets really go above and beyond in terms of alternative versions of the same songs. I really doubt there is anyone who wants to hear an edit of these tracks in a repeated fashion. All of these sets should have been a single bluray disk...but I suppose that would have been too easy and made some sense.

15. negative1

negative1 80s retro fan

i have been waiting decades for these tracks to show up.

also, to the point, where i've made my own alternate versions of them from the 5.1 surround versions.

so, yes, there is a person who wants to hear all of them.

is there one person on the planet (including you), that would pay the FULL boxset price for one bluray disc? it has yet to happen.

later

16. cyclistsb

cyclistsb Forum Resident

I'd rather pay a full box set price for one disc in hi rez than 4 CDs and a DVD, yeah I'll admit there are folks that want all the edits but the NGD set really disappoints for someone who would want an easy to consume version of the album and a bunch of extras on a single disk. The XTC reissues prove it.

17. shirtandtie

Problem with that is its not marketable across the board that way.

18. negative1

negative1 80s retro fan

it wouldn't be that hard to rip the discs, and burn your own audio bluray with all the tracks organized the way you like it.

i've made plenty of compilations on dvd with audio that way. up to 9 hours of stereo tracks.

there are programs that can do that.

exactly.

later

Lost In The Flood likes this.
  19. Dave 81828384

Dave 81828384 Unremarkable Member

I have a hard time believing there isn't going to be a hi-res stereo mix on the blu-ray like there was on Sparkle in the Rain and Once Upon a Time.

20. Havoc

Havoc Forum Resident

I believe that you have a hard time believing as I too, have a hard time believing they would do that.

21. cyclistsb

cyclistsb Forum Resident

If you are commenting on my previous comments, I meant that the Bluray has enough room for the whole box set....it shodul be included, or at least an option. I hate buying a box set with CDs at a lower quality and then only a single hi rez disk with the original song set.

22. Dave 81828384

Dave 81828384 Unremarkable Member

I wasn't commenting on your post.

I was hoping someone had more info about the contents of the blu-ray. From what I've seen, it only has a hi-res (24/96) 5.1 mix, no stereo mixes, unlike the other two blu-ray releases.

23. cyclistsb

cyclistsb Forum Resident

Ahh...thanks

24. brimuchmuze

brimuchmuze Forum Resident

The DVD in the screenshots of the deluxe box seem to have two DVD logos. Too small to make out though: DVD-Audio and DVD-Video logos?

25. godslonelyman

godslonelyman Forum Resident

I for one, welcome this anticipated* box set representing my favorite Minds period.
    And I also welcome the various versions of songs - with particular interest in the so-called Full Duration versions. Though I agree that omitting live versions or a regular gig in the set is a regretful choice: there's so many wonderful (and decent sounding) NGD era gigs avaliable.
    But c'mon, this is the grail of the back catalogue. Should be a compulsory no-brainer for very Mindster out there :)

*Simon Cornwell's been alluring to it for quite some time

oldturkey, Havoc, morgan1098 and 2 others like this.