The Monkees Good Times (1CD)-New 2016 album

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by yellowballoon, Feb 4, 2016.

1. Squealy

Squealy Forum Hall Of Fame

Songs aren't recorded in one session anymore.

2. rswitzer

rswitzer Forum Resident

3. Ken K

Ken K Forum Resident

I was curious about why the backing track for "Wasn't Born to Follow" was in mono on the Rhino set. I think they were "saving it" for this project. Peter was probably overdubbed on banjo. There weren't any banjos on any of the other tracks recorded at that early '68 session, so it's most likely a new addition. Can't wait to hear everything on Friday...

4. George C.

George C. Forum Resident

The Chamberlin! :cool:

That NY Times article refers to the title song as a hackwork. Was it really?

I'm actually quite happy that they're using the '60s backing tracks. It would be a dream for them to finish up some more of them, even if I do feel meh about their selection of "Gotta Give It Time".

Love that song. Would love for them to finish The Monkees version.

5. Ken K

Ken K Forum Resident

I'm surprised that they didn't resurrect "Mr Richland" too. Maybe for the next project (if there is one)...

cwitt1980, D-rock, 905 and 1 other person like this.
  6. George C.

George C. Forum Resident

Guy Smiley, bluejeanbaby and D-rock like this.
  7. D-rock

D-rock Senior Member

.. a more recent Davy vocal. Not a 20 year old Davy.

Hutch likes this.
  8. Ken K

Ken K Forum Resident

I would also like to see Michael finish the "Empire" track. It sounds like an amazing track going by Andrew Sandoval's description of it in his book.

DaveJ and D-rock like this.
  9. Tracy Robison

Tracy Robison Forum Resident

The idea to make this album seems to have evolved over the past three years. They may have been looking down the road when the mono track was used or those multis were found after the box set was released. I listened to both tracks and only hear banjo on the Good Times version and he plays along in the promo video. I'm all in on this assumption...

10. jjh1959

jjh1959 Senior Member

Love Is What I Want

marc with a c and D-rock like this.
  11. TEDA

TEDA Forum Resident

Just pre-order the CD on fye with the one bonus track, special price of $9.99

MONKEES, GOOD TIMES [Exclusive with bonus track "A Better World"] »

Hopefully the other bonus tracks will become available as downloads.

I'm not buying another version of the CD and I'm not buying vinyl from B & N for that bonus 45.

I actually don't like vinyl and that's from growing up with it. It's just not durable and I can't stand dust making noise on playback.

I was happy when the CD as a medium came out and can live with digital when CDs are no longer an option.

RAJ717, Beaneydave and D-rock like this.
  12. mrbobdobalina

mrbobdobalina Forum Resident

Wow, I've got (vinyl) albums that are over 50 years old that sound and look great!! You do have to clean 'em every now and then, but that's no biggie.....

13. TEDA

TEDA Forum Resident

For me it is a biggie, but I admire your care taking skills

mrbobdobalina likes this.
  14. fitzysbuna

fitzysbuna Senior Member

I have cd ! I will get the iTunes version tomorrow ! so what is the other version with bonus track is it just the FYE or is there another track with japan?

15. TEDA

TEDA Forum Resident

The Japanese and the fye versions of the CD each have different bonus track......and don't get me started.

If you like vinyl, I think the B & N vinyl with bonus 45 is the way to go to get as many of the bonus cuts as possible.

I hope hope hope the bonus tracks on iTunes will be available individually but doubt it.

sharedon and johnny moondog 909 like this.
  16. TEDA

TEDA Forum Resident

One more thing, She Makes Me Laugh has really grown on me since it first came out.

My first thought was "too light", but now I can dig it

bluejeanbaby and D-rock like this.
  17. maccawings

maccawings Senior Member

Just 4 bonus tracks right? I know it's been covered

18. johnny moondog 909

johnny moondog 909 Beatles-Lennon & Classic rock fan

I think Amazon has 2 bonus tracks individually, of course I bought the physical CD, so I'm not certain. We bought the FYE version also. His & Hers copies. So for me it's just a matter of chasing down the 2nd Partridge song ' Love is what I Want'

I can't believe sound clips aren't available for the bonus tracks, only hours before release. I wonder if that Indicates the tracks are weak, & the label wants to unfairly gouge people, getting them to buy them without knowing what they sound like.

On another note, I inserted Davy Jones Manchester Boy on my copy, I don't especially like the track, too show tune sounding for me, but I really like having 2 Jones tracks, sounds much more like a proper Monkees album, with 2 Jones numbers. Including an awful show tune Jones liked doing on most Monkee albums.

19. johnny moondog 909

Yes 4

1 A Better World
    2 Love Is What I Want
    3 Terrifying
    4 Magdalena version#2

D-rock likes this.
  20. TEDA

TEDA Forum Resident

@johnny moondog 909 I think the bonus tracks might be good, at least that's the hype.

I think it's why they put Whatever's Right, and Gotta Give It Time on the album - It's just my opinion but those would be letdowns as bonus.

I read A Better World is similar to For Pete's Sake, so that's got my attention.

I like She Brings The Summer, so I think Andy Partridge won't disappoint on this other song of his.

I loved Me & Magdalena, so I'm dying to hear the other version of it.

Andrew Sandoval is quoted as saying great things about Terrifying, so I'm curious to hear it, even if it does not sound like a "Monkees song"

davenav likes this.
  21. fitzysbuna

fitzysbuna Senior Member

I think I might just have to wait for the super deluxe good times pack

22. j_rocker

j_rocker Forum Resident

R-E-L-A-X. We'll all know soon enough. There's something to be said for surprises!

23. johnny moondog 909

Like what ? That some of the Bonus tracks are good ? Or something else.

If they are good, I'd think they would want clips online to entice more sales, because people like what they're hearing.

I really only know the new album & the hits, just listened to a bit of Headquarters, real good stuff, might have to buy that one

24. PhoffiFozz

PhoffiFozz Forum Resident

The track is wider stereo on The Birds box set than on Good Times!

davenav and Drifter like this.
  25. readr

readr Forum Resident

To ask why was not out of ignorance. I'm surprised Monkees fans have this newly recorded Boyce & Hart track near the bottom of their list...........I'm just saying I really like it. No offense.

yellowballoon and Drifter like this.