I want to like Chicago, but...

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Guy Gadbois, Dec 27, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. AudiophilePhil

AudiophilePhil Senior Member

How can you argue with a member and one of the original members of BS&T?

Actually it was Bobby Colomby (BS&T's drummer and co-founder) himself who said that.

He was asked about the difference between Blood, Sweat & Tears and Chicago.

He said in the interview that "BS&T is a jazz band who can play rock while Chicago is a rock band who can play jazz."

Hep Alien and pablo fanques like this.
  2. Scopitone

Scopitone Caught the last train for the coast

Listening to Chicago Transit Authority for the first time, inspired by this thread.

Not big into "horns" as a rule, but these guys can jam. Plus, there's a certain late 60's feeling about it that I am really enjoying today.

3. somebodywhocares

somebodywhocares Forum Resident

Listen
    I'm A Man
    Make Me Smile
    Sing a Mean Tune Kid
    Free
    Hideaway
    Oh Thank You Great Spirit

Hep Alien and AudiophilePhil like this.
  4. Ken.e.

Ken.e. Spinning music since...

I always thought I totally disliked Chicago but I was at a friends house and he put on Chicago V and I really enjoyed it. Not the eighties version of Chicago that i thought sounded like MOR wedding music but great horns, great guitar and jamming. I then took it onto my self to listen to more Chicago. For me anything with Terry Kath is great after that a quick slide down hill. Glad I discovered them now.

AudiophilePhil and EdgardV like this.
  5. teag

teag Forum Resident

It's just not Boston. What can you do?

ARK likes this.
  6. Moonbeam Skies

Moonbeam Skies Forum Resident

Not a fan of Hard to Say I'm Sorry? Stay the Night? No love for the 16 and 17 era?

Ken.e. likes this.
  7. Once they shortened their name and added Roman numerals past II they pretty much went down hill for me.

WolfSpear likes this.
  8. mpayan

mpayan A Tad Rolled Off

Im pretty sure that my gf at the time playing those albums caused my hair to turn into a mullet.

Hamhead, troggy, ARK and 3 others like this.
  9. Moonbeam Skies

Moonbeam Skies Forum Resident

Oh man! The coda at the end of Hard to Say I'm Sorry is vintage Chicago! Steve Lukather played on that track.
    Lot of good stuff on 16 and 17.

ARK likes this.
  10. gd0

gd0 Looney Tunes and Merrie Melodies

I saw 'em just as the 2nd album was released. Big, strong, loud 'n' proud. Also saw Blood, Sweat & Tears a year before. Distinctly different, yet both ambitious and impressive.

But when I started to hear on the radio where Chicago was headed after II, I promptly tuned out and never looked back.

In no way does that diminish my good memories of that 1970 show.

That first CTA album is an all-time keeper. Sometimes one is all ya need.

11. Phasecorrect

Phasecorrect Forum Resident

Feeling stronger every day...that's a stone cold jam

12. mpayan

mpayan A Tad Rolled Off

I dont think *vintage* Chicago when I think of those albums.

limoges likes this.
  13. fitzysbuna

fitzysbuna Senior Member

I love Does Amyone Know What Time It Is? ! its in my top 5 Chicago songs !

PhoffiFozz and hazard like this.
  14. Phasecorrect

Phasecorrect Forum Resident

Let's not forget, Cetera was a wicked bass player in his prime. Unfortunately that, and many other things, became lost in the end. That's my take: the earlier the better for Chicago material.

Akapaz, Hamhead and Comet01 like this.
  15. hazard

hazard Forum Resident

I play bass guitar and I'm into classic rock. My son plays trumpet in school stage band and likes big band jazz. I played CTA last night and we were able to sit down and enjoy it together. Ive played Chicago (aka Chucago 2) for him before and he likes that as well. As OP said, 25 or 6 to 4 rocks big time, but the whole LP is great.

When I was a kid in the 70s, I thought that Chicago played schlock like "If You Leave Me Now". I thought that they were terrible. But Im glad that I found their first 2 albums (even if I was 45 years late to the party).

EdgardV and AudiophilePhil like this.
  16. AudiophilePhil

You should also listen to Chicago III (1971), Chicago V (1972) and Chicago VII (1974).
    If you like them, you should continue your Chicago journey by listening to the rest of the Kath-era Chicago albums (1969-1977) such as Chicago VI (1973), Chicago VIII (1975), Chicago IX-Greatest Hits (1975), Chicago X (1976) and Chicago XI. (1977).

17. tmwlng

tmwlng Forum Resident

This one is not busy a la 25 or 6 to 4, but has many cool elements. A pretty wicked time signature and Cetera playing bass with wah-wah pedals:

18. Hall Cat

Hall Cat Senior Member

This is why I hate this song

19. Lee

Lee Forum Resident

I would see the strength of Chicago being in their arrangements, not in any one player's contribution. Yes, these arrangements are jazzy, but more influenced by big band arrangements than small group jazz, which was more popular at the time (and remains so).

AudiophilePhil likes this.
  20. The Panda

The Panda Forum Mutant

I'll make it easy--if you don't like the first song on CTA (Introduction), then you won't like the rest

Hep Alien and Isamet like this.
  21. troggy

troggy Papa-Oom-Mow-Mow

Geez, maybe instead of roman numerals, they should have just named the albums after the year they were released. At least that would have been informative in retrospect.

DK Pete likes this.
  22. hifisoup

hifisoup @hearmoremusic on Instagram

Agreed. IMHO Chicago II is sheer brilliance.

AudiophilePhil likes this.
  23. AudiophilePhil

Getting just the two greatest hits package such as Chicago IX (1975) and "Chicago Greatest Hits, Vol.2" (1981) do not give the band's music justice. The original Chicago was not a singles band but there's also some truth that the success of some of their vintage albums depended on the success of the hit singles. In my opinion, they were more of an album-oriented band than a singles band because there are plenty of excellent deep album tracks in each of their album from 1969 debut "Chicago Transit Authority" to the last one with original lineup, Chicago XI (1977).

Dougd likes this.
  24. mbrownp1

mbrownp1 Forum Resident

I think you would probably like "Make Me Smile" then.

Hep Alien likes this.
  25. Hamhead

Hamhead The Bear From Delaware

Am I the only one here who likes "Live At Carnegie Hall" ? Nobody ever talks about it.
    They were on fire, live and in their prime.

Just give me CTA - VII and maybe X and that's it

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.