True Detective Season Two*

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by rjp, Jun 21, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. kwadguy

kwadguy Senior Member

Just finished watching season 2. While I don't think the build up of season 2 was as good as season 1, I don't think it was horrible. Definitely a Chinatown vibe, very LA noir, with the expected downbeat "nothing changes" type ending.

I thought the resolution for season 2 was WAY better than for season 1. The season 1 finale was by far the weakest part of that season. The season 2 finale was far from perfect, but was more satisfying within the context and tone of the series.

Mostly good performances all around. Some of the dialog was stilted, but that's really within the norm of this kind of film noir. A few expository scenes definitely went on way too long, for sure.

I think that if this had appeared as a stand along series, and not in the wake of season 1, it would be receiving more positive reviews now.

turnersmemo and macdaddysinfo like this.
  2. Deesky

Deesky Forum Resident

Did you binge watch it? Because if you did, I suspect that would help with keeping the multiplicity of characters and subplots in sharper focus.

3. Deesky

Deesky Forum Resident

I came across an article which I thought was telling, discussing season 2 and who might direct, in Fukunaga's absence. Turns out that David Cronenberg was approached and he was initially interested. Or at least until he read the script. He says:

“The heat is in TV. Last year I was approached to direct the first episode of the second season of True Detective, I considered it but I thought that the script was bad, so I didn’t do it.”

Ouch!

Rufus McDufus likes this.
  4. chacha

chacha Forum Resident In Memoriam

Such tact David

5. motionoftheocean

motionoftheocean Senior Member

regardless, he was absolutely right

6. Blair G.

Blair G. Senior Member

4 episodes in, OMG what a snooze

7. rjp

rjp Senior Member Thread Starter

anyone heard or read if there is going to be a season 3 of true detective?????

last i read it was still up in the air.

i know the chances are slim and none, but i would love to see an additional story involving rachel mcadams character.

chacha likes this.
  8. CBC

CBC Forum Resident

Since they go to completely new casts for each so far, doubtful they'd continue with the same ones if there's a 3rd season.
    But I wouldn't mind if they continued w/ her.

9. jwoverho

jwoverho Licensed Drug Dealer

They should get Bryan Cranston and Aaron Paul to play partners. Boom! Instant audience. :D

10. Deesky

Deesky Forum Resident

They had an instant audience for season 2. It was squandered not by the cast, but the terrible writing and execution. That's what needs to be fixed.

11. jwoverho

jwoverho Licensed Drug Dealer

Very true! I can't think of a bigger drop between first and second seasons of any recent series. Sophomore slump to be sure. The proof will be if a third season is greenlighted and the writing makes a dramatic improvement.

12. Deesky

Deesky Forum Resident

Some interesting news coming out of HBO - president of programming takes blame for Season 2.

HBO’s president of programming Michael Lombardo put much of the responsibility for season 2’s failings on himself, saying that he “became too much of a network executive” and pushed series creator Nic Pizzolatto to get it done before it was ready. Lombardo acknowledged that this was an unenviable task:

“Well, you know what? I set him up. To deliver, in a very short time frame, something that became very challenging to deliver. That’s not what that show is. He had to reinvent the wheel, so to speak. Find his muse. And so I think that’s what I learned from it. Don’t do that anymore.”

While no doubt there is an element of truth to that, I still feel the problem lies a lot deeper, with Pizzolatto himself. If season 3 (Pizzolatto has signed a contract through 2018) is the get back on track, Pizzolatto cannot remain the sole writer/producer - he needs to collaborate with other creative people to reign in some of his shortcomings.

mikeyt likes this.
  13. Scope J

Scope J Senior Member

I call BS on the haters !

S02 was quite good !

alexpop likes this.
  14. chacha

chacha Forum Resident In Memoriam

I enjoyed watching it even with all the problems. I thought Farrell and McAdams were great and I thought the mood was cool. But the writing really suffered.

eddiel likes this.
  15. rjp

agreed, i thought rachel mcadams was outstanding actually.....best actress awards outstanding.

Scope J likes this.
  16. alexpop

alexpop Power pop + other bad habits....

I would say it was excellent.

Scope J likes this.
  17. BLUESJAZZMAN

BLUESJAZZMAN I Love Blues, Jazz, Rock, My Son & Honest People

I loved the first season. Stopped watching season 2 after episode 4. Massive let down for me!

chumlie likes this.
  18. rjp

any word on season three yet?

alexpop likes this.
  19. alexpop

Season 3.
    Can't wait.

20. Deesky

Deesky Forum Resident

No, it seems to be in limbo ATM...

21. rjp

bring back rachel mcadam.......please.

22. alexpop

Morph the characters from TD & TD 2 into the next series TD3.

23. Deesky

Deesky Forum Resident

You may have to. It appears that there may not be a season 3. While Nic Pizzolatto signed an exclusive deal with HBO last fall, it seems his services will be used on a different series. Hope they give him co-writing support!

alexpop likes this.
  24. alexpop

I really liked season 2.
    That's a pity.

macdaddysinfo likes this.
  25. motionoftheocean

motionoftheocean Senior Member

a fitting end to the biggest fall from grace in television history. I respect HBO for not trying to give the smelling salts to TD. best to just walk away and let history do its job erasing the abysmal failure of season 2 from our collective consciousness.

Blair G. likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.