Ortofon 2M red

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by Prof Yuri, Feb 1, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Clonesteak

Clonesteak Forum Resident

I used the shorter screws with my Audio Technica and now on an Ortofon headshell with the shorter screws as well.
    The screws on the top make it really easy to align the cart.
    Enjoy your Blue. I still have a red. Next stylus upgrade I plan on buying the blue.

Vinyl Fan 1973 likes this.
  2. Vinyl Fan 1973

Vinyl Fan 1973 "They're like soup, they're like....nothing bad"

Thanks! I'll try the shorter ones. I figured one set was to be used on the Rega arm and the other set for Technics, etc....

I saw on the Rega's the cart attached by only one screw up top down the middle.

I'm sure my Technics headshell is similar to your Audio Technica.

Can't wait to get this hooked up tonight. What do you track your red at? 1.7grams?

3. Mlle. Aurora

Mlle. Aurora Señor Member

I track at 1.8 grams for the Red and the Blue. Correct VTA is very important in these two. I could reduce the shhhibilance with the Red by optimising the VTA.

4. Vinyl Fan 1973

Unfortunately my Technics SL-1401 does not allow for this, there is no adjustment feature on my model. I'll have to get by, perhaps getting a thicker mat?

c-eling likes this.
  5. Mlle. Aurora

Yes, a thicker mat will do the trick in this.

c-eling and Vinyl Fan 1973 like this.
  6. c-eling

c-eling They're made of light,We never would have guessed

Exactly what I did 73, my Technics-1900 has no adjustment either, plus I had static issues, solved two issues with a cork spot mat :cheers:

7. Slightly off topic but I was debating blue vs bronze for my Technics 1800MKII; contacted Ortofon and they said the blue would be more compatible than the bronze for this particular turntable. Tried the bronze for the heckuvit but sure enough, preferred the blue. Maybe a matter of compliance???

8. Vinyl Fan 1973

I've always wanted to try a cork mat. I've got a Herbie's Way Excellent II mat that I really like, and it's the same thickness as the original stock mat. Where did you get yours?

9. Clonesteak

I track my Red at 1.82 grams, digital scale obviously. I also have a cork mat and then a felt mat on top of that which makes the tone arm of my ATLP-120 more level.

c-eling likes this.
  10. Vinyl Fan 1973

Well right out of the box, this is the way vinyl should sound IMO. Out of the box it beats the Nagaoka MP-110 hands down. I really need a digital scale to ensure I'm really tracking at 1.8, as the reading on my Shure scale does not equal the weight marking on the tone arm. The weight on the tone arm is a gram higher than the setting on the Shure which is set at 1.8

Also, is this cart supposed to run so close to the LP? It seems like its sagging but how can that be, it's brand new?

So far extremely happy and it's not broken in yet!

Definitely more lively than the Nag.

Clonesteak and c-eling like this.
  11. HiFi Guy

HiFi Guy Forum Resident

My new Bronze rides low.

By the way, don't pay list for Ortofons. I just paid $293 delivered for my Bronze.

Thakker.eu

12. c-eling

I grabbed mine from a guy down in Ohio from ebay, At the time about two years ago he had a thicker one, that's what I went with. It appears he only has a 1/4 inch in stock, if you need thicker you may want to contact him
    "Cork Turntable Mat" Custom Spot-mat, Vinyl LP Record Mat, Audiophile Product! »

13. Vinyl Fan 1973

Fantastic price for the Bronze! I paid $230 Canadian shipped, and I saved about $110 for what they go for around here.

The 2m Blue is well matched for my system and turntable. The Audio Technica and Nagaoka just seemed to be missing something. Although I will give props to the Nag on how it handles surface noise, but I don't mind dealing with a little surface noise if the Blue gives me this type of detail and oomph.

c-eling likes this.
  14. c-eling

Glad you like your Blue, it may be my next cart :cheers:

Clonesteak and Vinyl Fan 1973 like this.
  15. Vinyl Fan 1973

16. Vinyl Fan 1973

Thanks! I can't see you being disappointed. Super impressed with the bass response and the deepness of the kick drum.

Mlle. Aurora and c-eling like this.
  17. Clonesteak

My red rides low. "The low rider of carts." The 2M series ride pretty low to the record surface. I have never had any problems with the cart touching the record. The stylus is all that makes contact with the record. Nothing to worry about.
    I was worried when I first set up mine but had to go online and read others with the same comments.

18. Vinyl Fan 1973

Very cool, thanks for sharing that. What do you use to clean the stylus? I was reading the manual and the don't recommend cleaners, only the brush. Would the Zero Dust gel puck damage this stylus?

19. Clonesteak

I just use the brush that came with my cart. I only play clean records so no need to use chemicals. I brush with each side and hardly ever notice anything on it by eye.
    I think they state no cleaners just to cover their butts in case of the tip coming unglued.
    I am not sure about the Zero Dust gel puck. I am not aware of people having problems with using cleaners with the ortofon 2M series carts.
    Anyone else with cleaning styli suggestions?

20. Vinyl Fan 1973

Hey guys, I just took this pic of my new cart and I'm wondering if my stylus is bent to the right? I've seen some google images of other carts where it wasn't perfectly straight, but I have seen some that are. It sounds fine, but I'm not sure I'd know what to look out for if it was bent? What do you guys think?

[​IMG]

21. Mlle. Aurora

My Red has this very slight bent, too, while my Blue is perfectly straight. (I change them all the time depending if it's an older/often played or a new record.) I don't think the slight deviation should make a difference.

Clonesteak and Vinyl Fan 1973 like this.
  22. via_atx

via_atx Forum Resident

I second what Aurora said. If it sounds find and is tracking great, don't worry about it. I say this as someone who may or may not have spent a few hours with a head lamp and magnifying glass examining my cartridge.... Also, keep in mind it's really the stylus that needs to be perpendicular in the grooves, and that's harder to see than the cantilever. Have you used an alignment protractor to see where the stylus tip is falling?

23. Vinyl Fan 1973

No I just used the Technics overhang gauge. I'm thinking of bringing my TT into the shop this weekend to have it looked at, and at the same time I'll have them redo the whole set up. I did try moving the cantilever ever so slightly this morning and played an album before work, sounded great.

I did write to Ortofon and this was their reply:

"The exact centre position of the cantilever is not so important in Moving Magnets. Many cartridges have this effect because the magnet is not always centrally positioned.

Where have you bought the cartridge? Was it brand new?

If any sound distortion, I would recommend contact the seller with a view to replacement under warranty if granted. Is the seller an authorized Ortofon dealer?

For our authorized partners and dealers list please check out the Dealer locator http://www.ortofon.com/where-to-buy .

For our Warranty policy please see here http://www.ortofon.com/support?section=4440 "

So I guess unless I'm hearing distortion I have nothing to worry about it. I think I'd know if something wasn't right, just by how it sounded.

I'm loving this cart and I can't wait to go home tonight and spin more albums.

Kristofa, Clonesteak and Mlle. Aurora like this.
  24. Ivand

Ivand Forum Resident

How's the Blue vs Red on the trebble front?

25. BIGGER Dave

BIGGER Dave Forum Resident

Care to share where you purchased that from? Feel free to private message me if you prefer.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.