Buying The Wrong Record First

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by pickwick33, May 25, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Alternative4

Alternative4 One of These Days I'll Get an Early Night

This one of the reasons I stopped buying so many cd's. It was hard to get import cd's back in the day and when you did get them, they were over the top expensive. I got sick of buying albums by bands I liked, only to find that they sounded like a different band.

I only ever found two Paradise lost albums, Draconian Times and One Second. I wish I never brought One Second. Same thing with My Dying Bride, it was impossible to find, Turn Loose the Swans, instead I brought 34.788% complete and felt a bit ripped off.

I wasted so much money, damnit.

Stormrider77 likes this.
  2. Smack

Smack Shadows taller than our souls

Club Ninja was my first BOC purchase.
    Power Windows was my first Rush.
    Seventh Star was my first Sabbath.
    They were all the latest albums at the time I decided to check out those bands. I'm sure there's more.

3. BryanA-HTX

BryanA-HTX Crazy Doctor

Nah man you're wrong. Road to Ruin is great and I liked it immediately. Right up there with the prior four, and the last one I liked from the band.

For me the first time I was trying to get into Judas Priest I started at the beginning with Rocka Rolla. I hated it and moved on to something else for a while, until I heard "You Got Another Thing Coming" and the Screaming for Vengeance album, and THAT set me on the right track.

Spitfire likes this.
  4. ArneW

ArneW Senior Member

"Ol' Blue Eyes is Back" was the first Sinatra album I purchased. I liked the Capitol two-fer I had been given for birthday so I went for another one...

5. JohnnyQuest

JohnnyQuest Forum Resident

Great thread topic.
    I was discussing this with my father the other day.
    I found it fascinating and funny how he would inadvertently start off with a oddball,live album or a random compilation instead of the "classic".

Here's a few.

The Cure - Galore

David Bowie - The Man Who Sold the World

The Beatles - Magical Mystery Tour

Miles Davis - Birth of the Cool

The Who - Live at Leeds

Led Zeppelin - Houses of the Holy

Prince - Around the World in a Day

Red Hot Chili Peppers - Mother's Milk

Weird luck, right? He's still a fan of each artist/band listed above so I guess he's happy with his album selections. :)

bleachershane likes this.
  6. rmath84

rmath84 Forum Resident

I never thought of this as a "You had to be there" album. But, like most things, is seems it is.

7. Sordel

Sordel Forum Resident

Must have happened to me many, many times but I'm drawing a blank. Best example I can think of was that although I loved 'Man With The Child In His Eyes' and 'Wuthering Heights' I (accidentally) bought Lionheart because I wrongly thought it was the only album that Kate Bush had out at the time. Great album of course but I could not get on with it at all at the time and could 't afford to put right my mistake until months later.

The fear of buying the wrong album is what sometimes makes me pre-commit by buying several albums straight away to give myself some coverage.

8. thematinggame

thematinggame Forum Resident

[​IMG]
    I bought this when I was about 10 years old ,thinking it was a proper Beatles album , it only cost 10 DM(but still the equivalent of my pocket money for the whole month) , which was about half price of a normal LP.
    When I went back to the shop , the shopkeeper ( a real bastard) refused to return it , even when later my father came along to plead my case -
    not sure what happened to it - probably ended up as a frisbee

9. Scopitone

Scopitone Caught the last train for the coast

Haha, I came late to Zep. As a college kid in the mid-90's, two songs got me to finally buy one of their albums:

• Dyer Maker - from Sheryl Crow
    • OTHAFA - as seen on Beavis & Butthead

When I went looking for those songs, I ended up with HotH. And I was okay with that. :D

Dino likes this.
  10. GodBlessTinyTim

GodBlessTinyTim Forum Resident

This is why I always start with greatest-hits albums.

davesmoked likes this.
  11. listner_matt

listner_matt Still thinks music is an inexhaustible resource

Much like everyone else, buying a LP from a band you heard about in the pre-Internet days was always a risk, so you learned to loved your purchases if if they were the 'wrong' one.

[​IMG]
    Case in point, buying Television's Adventure from a head shop cut-out bin in the late '70's was a mistake if you wanted Marquee Moon, but it was still a great record that grew on me. It ended up broadening my notion of what punk was (or wasn't), as the guitar playing on this was so lyrical my only reference point was my cousin's Grateful Dead records. And I mean that in the best way possible. It's funny how having no pre-conceptions as an early teen can pay off in the long run.

And then I got to hear Marquee Moon.....

12. Trashman

Trashman Forum Resident

[​IMG]

My first Billie Holiday album was Lady in Satin... not necessarily the "wrong" album, but it took quite a while for me to appreciate it for what it was. I had trouble with her vocals at first, but now I might actually prefer the rough-around-the-edges vocals to some of her earlier recordings.

lightbulb and SuntoryTime like this.
  13. Coppertop Tester

Coppertop Tester Forum Resident

I hit into a double-play digging through the JC Penney's bargain bin when I was in high school in the early 80s. I found two albums by a pair of artists that I was very familiar with from the local oldies radio station. I loved their songs growing up in the 70s and I love them even more now.

The Good: The artists were Chuck Berry and the Everly Brothers
    The Bad: The albums were "Chuck Berry's Golden Hits" and "The Very Best of the Everly Brothers"
    The Ugly: The Chuck Berry album was on Mercury and contained a bunch of mediocre remakes of his classic Chess sides. Yuk! The Everly Brothers purchase was only half as disastrous. It was on Warner Brothers and contained some genuine hit singles for that label. However, the rest of the album contained remakes of some big hits from their Cadence period. These re-recordings weren't as bad as the Chuck Berry ones, but still not what I wanted.

lightbulb likes this.
  14. DTK

DTK Forum Resident

Soldier is definitely one of Iggy's weaker effort; he sounds slightly burnt out. Not a good "first".

15. ndoheny

ndoheny Forum Resident

Well as a teen in the nineties I was way to young to understand the singer songwriter movement of the 70's. The whole Laurel Canyon sound seemed completely cheesy but eventually I learned to appreciate all that music with the exception of Joni. Maybe the reason was I only own Blue and I need to hear a different version of her. Where should I go next?

16. DTK

DTK Forum Resident

One of my first Beatles purchases as a kid was a grey market comp of the Decca sessions. It was quite a shock, and I wasn't convinced it was The Beatles playing on it. The sound quality, the jokey material and the vocals all threw me for a loop - George sings many tunes, and Paul's vocals are affected and laboured; only John sounds familiar.

17. john hp

john hp Forum Resident

The Super Super Blues Band (Muddy Waters & Howlin' Wolf)

18. badsneakers

badsneakers Well-Known Member

In the mid 90's my very first Blur album on vinyl was The Great Escape. I disliked it so much that I swiftly gave it away. Fast forward 20 years and it remains my least favourite album in their wonderful discography (along with the debut Leisure.) I deeply regretted not buying Modern Life Is Rubbish and Parklife on vinyl back in the day, so snapped up those reissues when they came out in 2012. Surely the best British band of the 90's.

19. Halfwit

Halfwit Forum Resident

[​IMG]

Bought this, aged 14, mainly to spite the guy working in the record shop who said "You won't like it" when I asked if I could hear some. My advice to my younger self would be to start with Safe as Milk or Clear Spot. I love Trout Mask Replica, but it took me a while.

Dino, Dave Larr, Amnion and 1 other person like this.
  20. Halfwit

Halfwit Forum Resident

That is one horrible sounding record. Sandy Pearlman & Murray Klugman's production sucks the life out of the band.

21. LambertHoroscope

LambertHoroscope Forum Resident

In 1977, I was 13 and just getting into the Who. I knew "Tommy" was an album I should be buying, so I duly marched into my local (small) hifi/record shop, and asked if they had it. They did indeed, and I spent all my hard saved pocket money on it, quite a lot as it was of course a double album.

It wasn't too long afterwards that I realised that this wasn't quite what I'd been after. I'd been flogged the Original Soundtrack, and even my inexperienced ears knew that this wasn't the real deal, to say the least. I suspect that the shop had been sitting on it since its release, and were only too pleased to see the back of it. Shame on them, taking advantage of a newbie!

Also, in my naivety, I didn't realise that you could take things back. To cap it all, it crackled!

22. ohnothimagen

ohnothimagen "Live music is better!"

That's okay, Steel Wheels was mine, back when it came out in '89 (I was only just 'discovering' the Stones and had only heard Hot Rocks at that point...)

Scopitone and Dino like this.
  23. Alan2

Alan2 Forum Resident

Rare Bird: Epic Forest.

24. ganma

ganma Senior Member

I also picked this up when I was about 15 and wondered what the hell I had done, but I stuck with it anyway. :uhhuh:

Dudley Morris and Halfwit like this.
  25. Bjorn Kjetil Johansen

Bjorn Kjetil Johansen Vortex Surfer

When I was 12-13 I got the recently released Aural Sculpture by The Stranglers. I never got into it, and sold it at some point. Later in life I learned what punk was and that The Stranglers actually has put out great records before. I now like the first few records. Never missed Aural Sculpture in my collection, even though it probably has a few decent songs on it.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.