New old turntable

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by Chewbacca, May 25, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Chewbacca

Chewbacca Member Thread Starter

after being lucky enough to get a Sony 6750 as my first turntable I have decided to take the plunge and get another new old turntable. I will be using this new table as my secondary system and putting it in my summer room to be played when I have BBQ's and friends over (if the weather on the Isle of Man ever improves). I have a budget of around £150 but this is flexible enough to step up to £200 for a table that is mint. However I am happy to go under budget if a bargin can be had. I am thinking of getting something from a similar era to my Sony 1975-80. I am thinking a Japanese direct drive (has to be dd) and would be happy to go with a Sony again. As it's going to in my 'entertaining room' something that has an auto return or track selection might be of benifit but this is by no means a deal breaker. Reliability, condition and quality will be my upmost concerns. I would appreciate your thoughts, looking at technics sl 7, Sony ps x40, Sony 4750, at the minute but like I say would love to hear your recommendations. Regards

ShallowMemory and CrazyCatz like this.
  2. Thorensman

Thorensman Forum Resident

A thorens TD 115 would be fine. It has auto lift off . Has a nice low mass arm. Sounds lovely
    Maybe not up to Td 150/160 but too far behind!

Chewbacca, McLover and CrazyCatz like this.
  3. morris_minor

morris_minor Vinyl addict

Two of my decks are Technics parallel trackers - an SL-7 and SL-QL1. Both work really well and the auto features, repeat etc are really handy and would work well in an "entertaining room" :). There is also a good range of p-mount carts to use with them - for instance from here:
    Cartridges »

johnny q and Chewbacca like this.
  4. McLover

McLover Senior Member

There are in current production in T4p mount, a few Audio-Technicas, one Shure, and the Grado line, and Ortofon OMP recently discontinued. A little bit better than B&O, but not comprehensive. Be mindful of that. And better Technics linears are as expensive as Technics with full choices. And the conventional nicer, heavier and more robustly built to boot can be had for the same money or less. SL-7, SL-10, and SL-15 are $350-$500 upwards today in good order. And age and parts support don't favor them. I love them, but as a main turntable, hard to recommend.

Chewbacca likes this.
  5. Chewbacca

Which Dec would you consider to be the best out if the two.

6. morris_minor

Well, I had my QL1 modded with a copper bonded platter, outboard power supply, new feet, much more damping, so the playing field isn't that level. Both had new caps fitted too. In stock form - assuming everything works well - the SL-7 benefits from the disc stabiliser in the lid (allowing it to be played vertically should the mood take you!) and also the lid locks down, unlike the QL1. But for all intents and purposes there's nothing much to choose between them.

The SL-7 is reportedly better than the SL-10 or SL-15 (this has some track selection features but I've no idea how effective this is). There's also the SL-DL1 - which is a QL1 with an FG servo for speed control rather than a quartz crystal. The DL1 has a variable speed control IIRC.

Here's a pic of my SL-7 and SL-QL1 taken some years ago.

7. Chewbacca

Great looking decks thanks for the pics, I would say the sl-7 is the better looking of the two but that is purely thing
    personal

8. morris_minor

The SL-7 is very neat, compact and kind of cute . . :)

9. defmoot

defmoot Contents Under Pressure

I have a Micro Seiki DD-20 in storage that was a decent table in it's day.

Maybe look for a DD-40. Better arm and S/N specs.

I've been out of the TT game for a while, though, so maybe this rec isn't valid.

Also, aren't the TT races going on now? Love that. Hope to make it to your Isle to see them some day.

10. Chewbacca

Also, aren't the TT races going on now? Love that. Hope to make it to your Isle to see them some day.

.[/QUOTE]

First new comer practice was last night, this coming week is practice week and then race week and some how after the worst winter I can remember the weather is glorious
    Imgur: The most awesome images on the Internet »

defmoot likes this.
  11. Chewbacca

I think it might have to be a Sony, I am thinking about collecting them from this era. Undecided on which, any ideas would be great. It doesn't have to be a world beater just good reliable vintage player. Just missed out on a nice 4750

12. Chewbacca

Does anyone have any experience with the pioneer pl 518 X. I have found a nice one

13. Ghostworld

Ghostworld Senior Member

Honestly, they made a lot of these and if you watch ebay carefully you can score one cheap. I got my SL7 in good working order (after I did a simple grease job) for $90. They're not big dollar sellers except minty collector's examples.

Last edited: Jun 3, 2016
  14. Chewbacca

I have found a nice sl 7 on flee bay might get involved if the price is right

15. RonW

RonW Forum Resident

Thorens TD-145

16. McLover

McLover Senior Member

SL7 has limited cartridge choices, be mindful of that. T4p mount only. Only cartridge choices in current production is one Shure, a few Grados, and a few Audio-Technicas.

17. Ghostworld

Ghostworld Senior Member

I have a fondness for these. You would have a much better table and more fun than buying that SL-7 for $229. That one has quite a bit of rust, although wet aluminum foil will take that out 90%. Sl-1700mk2, baby. This one looks very, very nice with an over modest description.

Technics Quartz Direct Drive Turntable SL-1700 MK2 »

McLover likes this.
  18. Chewbacca

19. bluemooze

bluemooze Senior Member

Technics SL-QD33 turntable (it's a p-mount turntable) and put a Grado Black p-mount cartridge on it. :)

20. quicksrt

quicksrt Senior Member

I have three 70s Pioneers, the PL 530, PL 540, and PL 550. They are wonderful if you can find them in great condition and with low milage.

As you can see, the 518 you speak of is in the same line of TTs as these three I have. The X I think means black base, maybe as sold in Japan only, not sure. But they are wonderful tables, way above entry level no matter what anyone says.

The PL 550 is the sharpest looking of the bunch imo but it has no auto return. I really like to put a record on and not worry about the lift-off at end. But perfoprmance is supposed to be best on all-manual tables, so.

Then the PL 570 at bottom, I do not own this model, but it appears to me to be a 550 but with some added automatic features like auto return, etc. It has a larger section of chrome running down the right side ewhich looks super.

These are hot tables to restore due to the good looking design and many of them work as well as the day they were first bought. I thimk that these are all 1976 - 1977 models.
    PL 530
    pl 518 pioneer turntable - Google Search »
    PL 540
    PL 550
    PL 570

21. Chewbacca

I have just purchased a Sony px s 40 turntable. Amp and speakers will be need. Thanks for the help so far people. Great forum

22. Gang-Twanger

Gang-Twanger Forum Resident

Whoops. So much for suggesting something along the lines of a Dual 721.

Glad you found something. I like the old Sony receivers from the '70's. For some reason, the S brands (Sony, Sansui, Scott, Sherwood, etc.) seems to all have a similar sonic nature.

What do you have in mind for speakers?

23. Chewbacca

I have some jpw's at the minute and I love them sooo very much I have spotted some on e bay, it's a no brainer for me I will be getting them. It's tricky on the rock getting some delivered so I will do what I can.

24. Chewbacca

Any ideas on decent vintage amps ?

25. Chewbacca

What speakers would you recommend boys recommend

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.