Limitless Season 1

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by stuguy, Oct 15, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. JimW

JimW In the Process of Becoming

If they were really there at all. I wasn't sure it wasn't something I imagined, which is why I asked here.

2. Tom in Houston

Tom in Houston Forum Resident

Shouldn't the NZT have made a difference in Brian's life outside the job? Shouldn't he have sought something for himself beyond the manchild-with-bong state of existence he returns to when the drug wears off. I can see that they need to keep a contrasting and frictional element going - Brian vs. the FBI suits, but let the character grow.

And why can't they come up with a better use for the expanded human mind than as a data crunching machine? Brian always seems to be sat down with 20 to 50 boxes of shredded paper, or file folders to go through to collect data trends, or find a needle in a haystack fact.

That said, I watch every week to see that same manchild character make me laugh a little at his colleagues' expenses. I think Jake McDorman is a likeable guy and it transfers to the character. Maybe Brian's chance to grow up is being thrust upon him as the more sinister side of Sen. Mora and his plans are being revealed.

3. JimW

JimW In the Process of Becoming

I know what you're saying, but I think he has shown some growth, even if its incremental. I don't know that he'll ever put down the bong- he seems like that kind of happy-go-lucky guy. And when his extraordinary powers come from doing a drug, that doesn't make a case for not doing drugs. Not to mention, regardless of his success at work or in his dealings w/ Mora and co., he's still rather stuck between a rock and a hard place: the FBI on one side and Mora and co. on the other. He has the stress of knowing that at any time they can deny him the antidote and then he's a goner- so he uses weed to unwind.

But he's had some tough choices that he's handled increasingly well. How to deal w/ his father; keeping Rebecca safe while also protecting himself; balancing the demands of his FBI job (and allegiances) with the demands of Sands/Mora; standing up to Mr. Sands; handling duties in the field; etc. Though I think you hit the nail on the head that as he increasingly deals w/ Mora and co., he will be forced to grow even more.

As far as data crunching goes, it's a little more than that: the data merely provides the info- it's his deductive skills that solve many of the problems. And he has been increasingly "in the field." That part really stepped up when he was kidnapped and even more-so in the last episode.

But as you said, it's his playful, childish side that provides the humor, so I don't see that going away, though I imagine it will be increasingly tested and perhaps whittled down as things grow more serious w/ Mora and co. But I wouldn't be surprised to see Sands become more of an ally in the future, given what happened last episode.

I hope they can keep this recent momentum growing. This has gone from something I get around to watching on the DVR when I have a chance to something I'll watch the next day. It's got a long way to go to catch up w/ my faves like Fargo and Better Call Saul, but recently it's shown a lot more potential.

Tom in Houston likes this.
  4. jpelg

jpelg Forum Resident

Still watching this show, and loving how it doesn't take itself so seriously. The humorous production works for me.

Dubmart, chrischerm and JimW like this.
  5. eddiel

eddiel Senior Member

I think we'll see more of what you're alluding too in later seasons. At that point everyone else will start complaining how the show isn't as good as it was since he lost his man child likeness . :)

I'm sticking with show. I was unsure earlier on but I've enjoyed the show much more since then. I was surprised at how quickly they got to other people having NZT though. I thought we'd get that at some point in the second season at the earliest.

6. Tom in Houston

After all the changes on the last 2 shows, we may not even need Brian anymore plot-wise - what with Sands splitting off to form his own group of sinister people, and that fact not even bothering Sen. Mora who waltzed away to give a speech, and then move on to take over the world.

Now... what happened to the girl (somebody's sister)? Can Brian get it together in time to save his love interest, and the world as we know it.

Will that earn him a fewer-rules life? Will that get his precious bong back?

Will Brian and his babe ride off into the northwestern wilderness to build a utopia of their own? Will they meet Dexter there?

7. jpelg

jpelg Forum Resident

Really good ep this week. Impressed with the writing.

8. Tom in Houston

The changes are coming fast, one right after the other. I wonder if this is happening as a revamp without a hiatus.

So many said here that they were already tired of business-as-usual scripts where Brian solves one or more crimes, wrapping it all up in time to spend some quality time with his flat-screen and his bong each episode. Could these many rapid changes be part of a response to similar sentiment in the viewing audience?

9. fitzysbuna

fitzysbuna Senior Member

has this been cancelled ? I can't find anything about it be renewed

10. Tom in Houston

It was not among the casualties disclosed last week per Yahoo. At least it's not a sitcom - the bloodletting in that category was merciless

I see Sleepy Hollow is getting a 4th season renewal. So maybe hour long Sci-Fi, detective-ish shows with handsome male leads are being spared.

fitzysbuna likes this.
  11. Tom in Houston

From a Yahoo News story on CBS' 2016/17 lineup:

"Regarding the fate of Limitless, new CBS prez Glenn Geller told reporters Wednesday morning, “Right now, we’re in discussions with other potential buyers” for the series."

I'm thinking maybe a cable company can realize more potential from the show, but it will fall off my screen since I'm receiving broadcast signal only. I'll never know.

Last edited: May 19, 2016
  12. A shame if this show doesn't find a home. I found it a pretty clever program.

Dubmart likes this.
  13. Vidiot

Vidiot Now in 4K HDR!

I think the show had potential to be halfway decent, but I had a hard time getting through 2 or 3 shows and just gave up. Too corny, too predictable in spots, too unbelievable in spots, and a very uneven mix between comedy and drama. Not happening.

14. Dubmart

Dubmart Senior Member

I really liked it, I hope it continues.

Shawn likes this.
  15. fitzysbuna

fitzysbuna Senior Member

got canned officially today ! sad day and two years running a show I like goes full season then gets axed ! I think this and Forever were at least 3 seasons shows not 1!

Tom in Houston likes this.
  16. amoergosum

amoergosum Forum Resident

This sucks!...I really liked this show.

Dubmart and fitzysbuna like this.
  17. amoergosum

8 million viewers is still pretty good, isn't it????
    >>>

[​IMG]

18. Silken

Silken Forum Resident

I liked it, I binge watched it in one week.

amoergosum likes this.
  19. eddiel

eddiel Senior Member

Yeah but they went from 14m down to 8m :(

20. jpelg

jpelg Forum Resident

21. The bad news is that I liked this show. The good news is that I can now free up about 15 hours on my PVR. I stopped watching when I heard it might get cancelled.

22. jpelg

jpelg Forum Resident

^Still a good season worth watching, imo.

eddiel and Dubmart like this.
  23. JerolW

JerolW Senior Member

Bummed. It was a fun escape.

jerol

24. amoergosum

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.