Meridian MQA Poll

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by Brother_Rael, May 9, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. mdm08033

mdm08033 Senior Member

Sarcastically, sure as soon as I get served with divorce papers. Thanks for the offer.

2. I don't think such a thing would be divorce worthy! Understood though!

3. Ham Sandwich

Ham Sandwich Senior Member

It's a distinction that is splitting hairs. It won't prevent people sharing the files on a torrent site or other pirate site. What it does mean is that the labels won't be selling something that is an exact bit for bit version of their master file. And that is something that could be superficially more acceptable to the labels. The sort of piracy that MQA might be able to deter would be people remixing or remastering. They'd still be able to remix and remaster from the MQA file, but they'll end up with lower quality than if they had started with the true PCM or DXD or DSD master file.

4. They wouldn't be able to "remix" an MQA'ed song or a regular downloaded song.

In order to "remix" a song, you need access to the individual tracks or stems that make up the song.

You could conceivably OOPS the song to isolate out of phase elements but that is not remixing.

5. ServingTheMusic

ServingTheMusic Forum Resident

That i very interesting. My issue should be here in a few days. Thanks for the tidbits. Even though I have posted in a very skeptical manner at times
    I do remain open minded.

6. mdm08033

mdm08033 Senior Member

Sorry to rant but the divorce isn't over audio equipment, it's about washed up alcoholic guitarist and alcoholic drummer.

7. Figured it had to do with a drummer. :p

mdm08033 likes this.
  8. Stereosound

Stereosound Forum Resident

9. soundQman

soundQman Senior Member

It will be interesting to read the results of listening tests when Atkinson gets his recording back encoded/processed.

10. Stereosound

11. Ham Sandwich

Sevoflurane and Dino like this.
  12. ServingTheMusic

13. Ham Sandwich

Unfortunately Schiit's perspective on digital doesn't bode well for me getting to try MQA with the Gungnir Multibit DAC any time soon, if at all.

As an audiophile I'm very very curious to experience and find out if MQA does what is being said. Does it really sound better? In what way does it sound better? What is that better sound like in comparison to the same recording as high-res PCM? I need to know in order to satisfy my curiosity. This curiosity doesn't mean I intend to buy any MQA files if it does sound better. The curiosity just means that I gotta find out what it is like. I gotta find out.

The Schiit Multibits would likely be a good DAC for exploiting the benefits of MQA. Possibly, and likely, better than any other DAC in their price range. But we may not get to find out. Bummer.

LH Labs seems to be interested in MQA. So may be able to get to try MQA with my Pulse Xfi DAC. Maybe. Unfortunately it's not a DAC that I especially like. It lacks the magical focus that the Schiit Multibit can do. When the Schiit multibit gets synergy with a recording and delivers that extra level of focus the sound evolves in ways I've not heard from digital before (with DACs that I can afford). My running theory is that MQA may help deliver a similar focus. Maybe. If the MQA style of focus is similar to the Schiit multibit style of focus then it would seem to be best to start with a DAC that can already do that sort of focus with the right recordings rather than using a DAC like the Pulse Xfi and adding MQA as an attempt to polish a turd.

oneway23 and Dino like this.
  14. ServingTheMusic

Well pardon Schiit for not wanting to send their proprietary product to Meridian so they can analyze it.

I would never, EVER base my choice of DAC on whether it will accommodate vaporware.

15. Stereosound

16. Ham Sandwich

Mike Moffat from Schiit has now weighed in today about Schiit's perspective on MQA in his little thread over at head-fi. And the official perspective is that MQA is not going to happen on Schiit gear for the foreseeable future. Bummer. That stinks. But I understand. Their multibit is still the best DAC that I own and is the best DAC that I foresee myself ever owning. It sounds great with regular 16/44.1 PCM and high-res PCM. And that's 99.9% of my collection. It makes sense to optimize and choose a DAC for the 99.9% rather than on the 0.1%.

Mike Moffat's post at head-fi that spells it out: What a long, strange trip it's been -- (Robert Hunter) - Page 44 »

I still believe that the Schiit multibit DACs are likely to be the best DAC to demonstrate MQA. Because their multibit is just that awesome with the right material. That's Meridian's loss to not have the Schiit DACs demonstrate how good MQA is.

Dino likes this.
  17. Brother_Rael

Brother_Rael Senior Member Thread Starter

Well said Mr Moffat...

18. Kyhl

Kyhl On break

Thank you WMG.

My philosophy aligns with Schiit. MQA is DOA until proven otherwise.

I will not rebuy in another format unless it proves to be lossless and better mastering. Both unlikely with MQA. Look at the graveyard of squashed releases on HDTracks. If I rebuy a title today it is to gain better mastering and the usual medium is vinyl (new or used), which I can needle drop to Hi-Res and stream at 320k MP3 (see below). That version will usually be better than the squashed dynamics found on current Hi-Res download sites.

I don't care about file sizes. 24/192 flacs are fine on the main system. I don't stream Hi-Res content because it is not necessary for me when on the road. Using open back headphones in public, streaming to a bluetooth speaker, car stereo, or outside in the wild Hi-Res isn't a requirement for me because it is background music that will be drowned out by other tasks or sounds.
    Jason Stoddard's rant about hotel wifi speads makes no sense to me. Who goes out of town to spend time at a hotel? Even when I was on business trips earlier in my career the only time spent in a hotel room was to sleep. Go to a AAA ball game or check out a local bar band that you won't get to hear again.

We are the target market and I don't see the reason for MQA. The rest of the world is fine with MP3s and they won't care.

So given the previous view, the only remaining quality of MQA is the sound quality, "deblurring". Could it help, sure. As @Ham Sandwich points out, when you hear a file that gels with the DAC it does sound better. And not all files do this. I don't know why it happens. It could be what MQA is trying to address but I'm not holding my breath.

Brother_Rael likes this.
  19. Erik Tracy

Erik Tracy Meet me at the Green Dragon for an ale

I don't think MQA is planning for folks to 'rebuy' titles - I'm guessing they are banking on the music consumption paradigm to totally shift to streaming (physical media is/will be dead in their plan for world domination).

Therefore, you aren't rebuying - your subscription will remain the same, or perhaps it will increase a bit for top rated MQA access.

You will have to buy an MQA licensed/enabled DAC however.

So, there will be some koolaid to drink.

But, streaming just doesn't work for me on so many levels.

20. Kyhl

Kyhl On break

If I buy a shiny disk today it gets ripped then put in a box never to be seen again. Shiny music disks have not been spun in my house for at least seven years. I've been streaming my music from my server for a while, home and away, so I do not see why MQA will suddenly make this a reality. It already exists.
    Subscriptions are a different thing. The masses are probably fine with lossy subscriptions of whatever mastering is supplied. Will audiophiles be happy with the mastering that is supplied via a subscription? Will a subscription based MQA CCR title sound better then my needle dropped versions mastered by our host? Call me skeptical.

21. Erik Tracy

Erik Tracy Meet me at the Green Dragon for an ale

I was referring to streaming as a live/subscription based methodology, not a 'download' where you would own your copy to be played however you have your home system set up.

22. Lester Best

Lester Best Well-Known Member

MQA will not be under your Xmas tree this yr. The industry really needs a hi rez shakeout.

23. gd0

gd0 Looney Tunes and Merrie Melodies

Good.

As long as I can be confident it won't be introduced stealth-style into music releases, I can happily ignore MQA.

If, down the road, it turns out to be A Wonderful Thing, I'll take another look.

Who wants to bet it will be discernibly Wonderful?

o_O

24. ServingTheMusic

25. 360-12

360-12 Forum Resident

When Pono incorporates MQA will my player need another blue light? Maybe they'll just flash the existing one! And how will I ever see a green light?

Madness likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.