Ebay buyer not happy

Discussion in 'Marketplace Discussions' started by MC Rag, May 26, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. MC Rag

MC Rag Forum Resident Thread Starter

I've just sold some CDs to a guy in Hong Kong and got this message today:

"I received the CDs and most of them are ok but except "Bartok Violin Concertos 1 & 2 Kyung Wha Chung Sir Georg Solti DECCA W.Germany" is broken on the center part of the CD case that uses for holding the disc. Do you have another CD case for replacement?"

I responded:

"Hi Daniel, it was OK when I posted it, you can see in the photo, so it is strange it has broken as these old CDs are normally strong. Can you send me a photo please? Are you only after another blue hub one? If not I'm sure you can pick up a used cd for HK$10 or so at Sino Centre or somewhere like that (I used to live in Hong Kong for about 25 years - I got many great used CDs from Sino Centre). One other option is I am about to list some more CDs so if you were interested to buy another one I can see if I can find a spare blue hub to add on as well."

which I thought was quite reasonable, but I then get this response,

"I chosen to bid on the CD because the photo you shown everything in good condition or otherwise I will not bid from you. The fact is that what I received was broken. I will escalate the case to eBay in case no more better solution could work out."

:sigh::sigh:

2. Joseph.McClure

Joseph.McClure Forum Resident

Get ready to refund his money.

3. MC Rag

4. Joseph.McClure

I'd offer him a refund of some sort.

bluesbro likes this.
  5. R. Totale

R. Totale The Voice of Reason

He's just asking for a jewel case, not the disk, right? Send him a generic one.

6. kwadguy

kwadguy Senior Member

If the CD was part of a single eBay lot you're looking at losing the entire sale ...

It may be stupid and not fair but get in front of this. Ebay is not going to side with you.

sirmikael likes this.
  7. andrew stearns

andrew stearns Well-Known Member

If he's in hong kong, find one on ebay that is based in hong kong, china etc. and have it shipped too him that way your not being raped by USPS international shipping prices.

ARK and scobb like this.
  8. eddiel

eddiel Senior Member

You know when I have an issue with an item I bought I actually take photos of the damage and include it in my message to the seller. If I didn't and a seller asked me to provide a photo I'd oblige. If I was the seller in this case I'd be annoyed that the buyer wouldn't send me a photo but instead sent me a replying saying he'll file a claim.

I'd also resign myself to having to give him a refund of some sort. Even if I think this claim is rather ridiculous as he can easily get a generic case locally.

If you wanted to be really annoying (and I wouldn't blame you), I'd tell him to return the cds and once you get them you'll offer a full refund. I know many people will tell you that ebay will make you pay for the return postage but that will only happen if the buyer insists on it and asks ebay to intervene. The annoyed part of me says go ahead and do this. :)

But if you didn't want to be really annoying, I'd just send him a message and suggest refunding him $5 so he can buy one locally. Maybe up it to $10 so it goes away even quicker. Honestly, it sounds like this guy is going to be a bit of a pain your backside. So the sooner you get it done the better and he might actually still give you positive feedback.

MC Rag likes this.
  9. Joseph.McClure

Part of the issue is that the teeth that were broken were from a blue tray.

10. bluesbro

bluesbro Forum Hall of Shame

This. Offer 20% discount. S**t happens, you are the seller, you take the hit.

11. MC Rag

I'm just going to send him another case, he wants a blue one (of course). I was just amazed at someone threatening to go straight to Ebay dispute without giving me a chance to sort it out amicably first. I figured he could have picked a case up locally and I'd then pay him for that, probably would've been cheaper for me and no risk for him in having another one damaged in the post but there ya go! I'll probably ban the guy from ever bidding on my stuff again as it pisses me off dealing with people like this. That said in all my years buying/selling on Ebay 99.9% of people I've dealt with have been very pleasant.

12. Joseph.McClure

Block him and move on. I've had a few as well over the years.

MC Rag likes this.
  13. Raynie

Raynie Hyperactive!

In several thousand sales I've only had damage claims twice, both international. I've since blocked all international buyers.

Few things you can do, if you believe he is telling truth, offer a refund. If that is case, pack your stuff better. Bulletproof packaging will greatly diminish likelihood of people making claims.

If you think he is lying, report it to eBay so it's at least on his record. eBay tends to be very sympathetic to high ranked sellers regarding these claims, so they will more than likely remove any neg. fb this person might leave.

Contact the seller asking him to take pictures so you can file a claim with the postal service of his country and yours, mention that they take photo scans at every distribution center so they will know where it happened. When people believe you are going to create a legal document and their action could constitute mail fraud, they tend to back down quickly. It worked for me both times.

MC Rag likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.