Grateful Dead Dave's Picks 2016 Subscription Thread

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Gammondorf, Nov 1, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Rne

Rne weltschmerz

Volume 1 is excellent, but, I agree, is not the best show from that tour.
    Volume 2 is good, particularly the ballads. Not a great release soundwise, and it features a couple of train wrecks on set 2.
    Volume 3 is really great, and the filler songs are truly excellent. One of the reasons why I like it so much is Keith being prominent in the mix with his jangle piano.
    Volume 4 has a poor almost-mono mix (like the 1976 show from the porch crusher, Healy I'm looking at you!), but the performances are refreshing, the band seems to be in a sort of experimental mood during some songs. The latest release from 1976 is light years ahead this one, though (By the way, I'm still waiting for my DaP 18, mister postman :realmad:).

footlooseman and Ray29 like this.
  2. Crispy Rob

Crispy Rob Cat Juggler

I need to give Vol. 4 another spin sometime, maybe it will click. I agree that it is better than the '76 porch crusher show, though.

3. ducksdeluxe

ducksdeluxe A voice in the wilderness.

I don't have 1 or 2, and probably won't unless there's a reissue at some point. Doesn't seem like I'm missing anything.

5, 10 and 18 are the essentials. 3 out of 18 is not a wonderful % for me. I hope that 19 and 20 are closer to essential instead of good. I am up to 122 officially released shows. How many more do I need?

I'm going to subscribe for next year, but that might be it. How many more 72-78 shows do I need?

4. notesofachord

notesofachord Riding down the river in an old canoe

It's not a need question.
    It's a want question. :winkgrin:

5. DrLunchbox

DrLunchbox Forum Deadhead #1604

I don't know why people are down on DaP3. Hands down the strongest release in year 1. I'd peg it as an essential one in the series.

budwhite, rufus t firefly and Rne like this.
  6. Crispy Rob

Crispy Rob Cat Juggler

You can't always get what you need, but if you subscribe sometimes, you'll get what you want. (Or NOT, judging by Dead.net comments).

Archtop and budwhite like this.
  7. Crispy Rob

Crispy Rob Cat Juggler

I'd add 7, 8, 11, 12, and 16 to your list of essentials or near-essentials, although maybe not all of them are quite on the same level, and there are several other picks (like 15) that are very, very good. But we all have different levels or want/need. I lack perspective on this, as I'll probably keep subscribing without a second thought at least until they've got nothing left but lots of '94, '95, and Boreal Ridge '85 (which I've actually never heard, but at least until the mid-90s was often pegged as the worst show of all time).

8. ducksdeluxe

It's a time question, too. Come September I'll have precious little.

Haven't heard that one yet. I have only had it for a couple of weeks. The one time I was going to listen I opted for DP2.

9. Crispy Rob

Crispy Rob Cat Juggler

I wouldn't quite call it essential, but it's really, really good. I like DaP2 more than most people seem to, so for me it's a pretty close call between those two for best of Year 1. The bonus disc that came with DaP2 was also pretty darn great.

Six Bachelors likes this.
  10. Rne

Rne weltschmerz

One good thing about the whole series so far: I don't dislike any of the volumes :D

Crispy Rob and Jerry Horne like this.
  11. rufus t firefly

rufus t firefly Forum Resident

I feel compelled to defend this series. I think its outstanding. I think he's batting over .500

Crispy Rob likes this.
  12. ducksdeluxe

It's a good series-I'm not saying otherwise. I'd certainly rather have the series than not. There just have been too many that have one great disc and two discs that are less so. I think all of them going back to 11 fall into that category, some more than others. 14, 15, 16, and 17 were less than thrilling for me, so that's a whole year right there. But 18 was so good that I continue to hope. I would just to see them get a little creative someday and occasionally slip away from the whole show mentality. A 3 or 4-disc set with both second sets from a two show run would suit me down to the ground. I just don't know whether they would consider such a thing.

Maybe I should ask for mine without a disc 1 in my sets. But I could see that turning into the chicken salad scene from Chinatown. Confusion and hilarity.

In fairness I need to go back and re-listen to 3 or 4 of the picks from this series. Perhaps I have given short shrift to 11 and 12 in particular-I will revisit. But I will crack into 3 right now.

Crispy Rob likes this.
  13. wavethatflag

wavethatflag God is love, but get it in writing.

Well, the GD itself easily batted over .500, so the margin for show release error is, um, marginal. :)

Wait a minute, I guess what I'm saying is that given the overall quality of the Dead's live production, it would be hard for Dave to bat below .500.

Crispy Rob likes this.
  14. Rne

Rne weltschmerz

I was doing some brief comparison between some Betty Boards from the E72 tour and the official releases. The 2-tracks are really great, they could have used them throughout the whole set and no one would have complained. Jeffrey Norman did an excellent job, anyway, and against the clock, poor lad.
    The 2-track recordings feature a wider stereo, and more Keith. Wonderful! (these tapes were used as patches during certain points in the box set and you can tell the difference).

budwhite and Crispy Rob like this.
  15. pbuzby

pbuzby Senior Member

You can hear "He's Gone" (5/10/72) and various tracks from 5/26/72 without the vocal and piano overdubs in these sources.

16. Rne

Rne weltschmerz

I thought I was posting in "The Grateful Thread" thread, sorry for that E72 digression.

Matthew Tate likes this.
  17. Rne

Rne weltschmerz

Yes, that's true. I guess I'll have to check every available soundboard from the tour now! The parallel steamer trunk, so to speak. Digression ended.

18. DrLunchbox

DrLunchbox Forum Deadhead #1604

So you're NOT a "full shows or nothing" type?

19. notesofachord

About the 2-track live mixes: Billy's drums are centered and further back in the mix, whereas on the box, they are in stereo and much more upfront. Yes, Keith's piano is more upfront, while Pig's organ is mixed low - almost inaudible at times.

Overall, a good comparison would be:

2-track: you are standing 25-feet from the stage enjoying the show.
    16-track: you are on the stage jamming with the fellas.

Archtop likes this.
  20. Rne

Rne weltschmerz

You're on stage, not paying much attention to Keith :laugh:
    Mr. Norman work is brilliant, I have no complaints, except for the generally buried piano, although he gave a reason for it and it's his artistic decision I respect. It's interesting, though, to see the mixes Betty made on the spot during those shows.

21. notesofachord

To be fair, it is hard for a miked, grand piano to stand out when getting blasted by multiple, stacked
    Fender Twin amps.

[​IMG]

22. ducksdeluxe

It really depends on the year. One of the things that has held me back from buying all of E72 is the repetition of tunes. One version of Big River sounds a lot like another to me. Later on, more variety, more interest. I went to quite a few shows in the 80s where the 1st set was better. As far as releases go, I think what they did with Dick's Picks 7 and 31 should be repeated. For example, the Oct 17-19, 1972 run in St.Louis has recently been requested on the Grateful Thread. Give us one disc of first set material and three discs of the jams. DP31 is sensational. When disc ONE opens with a 25 minute PITB, hey we've got a ballgame. Just hoping something a little different sometime soon.
    ----------------
    Back to Dave's Pick 3. Quite a few highlights, but many blown lyrics. Really a lot; they fracture the hell out of St. Stephen. Plus Jerry gets incredibly raspy by the end of the 10/22 concert. Disc 3 from the night before is better than the main show. It's really strong. Overall, I would not call it essential; it's not as good as the three I mentioned. But there are goodies, and it's certainly a worthy release. Keith is very impressive so early on. He's right there all the way through. I imagine this pre-dates his opiates affection. On the other hand I'm not sure we need two versions of Johnny B. Goode.

I will crank Dave's Pick 12 this long weekend. That is a pick that has not received proper attention. Perhaps that one can be elevated to essential.

DesertIslander likes this.
  23. footlooseman

footlooseman Forum Resident

You can't always get what you want
    But if you try sometimes well you just might find
    You get what you need

Crispy Rob likes this.
  24. *Zod*

*Zod* Forum Resident

some of the best releases have been comps....DP#31 (8/4-5-6/74) is an example of a superb one. Just spot on.

However, for Road Trips Vol.2 #3 (6/16-18/74), while they picked all the highlights and everything seems to be in working order, it somehow falls short on representing how great those two shows are. Dozin at the Knick is a similar example of a comp which fails to represent the bigger picture.

I think ultimately it should be a mix of both. I would wager to bet that most of us don't sit through every single song in order of a show in our regular listening.

DrLunchbox, budwhite and Matthew Tate like this.
  25. budwhite

budwhite Climb the mountains and get their good tidings.

Who are, really?
    If it's between nothing at all and a cherry picked release from '73, there are people who go with nothing?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.