Music Direct is now a McIntosh dealer

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by Tullman, May 18, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. 62caddy

62caddy Forum Resident

Indeed. The worst part of all is the majority of those holding these views had never heard, let alone owned, a McIntosh product.

Bill Mac and Tullman like this.
  2. Bill Mac

Bill Mac Forum Resident

Thank you! It seems that some in this thread have a very high opinion of their opinions ;). I think a majority of McIntosh gear owners are more into the SQ than they are into the prestige. I worked with a guy that went all out on a full blown McIntosh system. He was a machinist working in the rail industry. That's like a doctor and lawyer right :D.

Bill

Slick Willie and 62caddy like this.
  3. Bill Mac

Bill Mac Forum Resident

Very well said. A certain member posting in this thread has all types of views on gear that he's never owned or heard. Gotta love it :D.

Bill

4. 62caddy

62caddy Forum Resident

Right on.

McIntosh's own questionnaire to its customers listed a number of professions but omitted many. This prompted an angry response from customer who was a truck driver who was insulted that his occupation had not been included in the list for the survey being conducted. Immediately Ron Fone apologized profusely that it was not the intent to sleight any occupation or trade.

It just goes to show how deep the misconceptions run where it concerns McIntosh ownership.

Last edited: May 26, 2016
    Bill Mac likes this.
  5. Matt Richardson

Matt Richardson Forum Resident

I saw that questionnaire. Listed occupations went something like 1.Doctor 2.Lawyer 3.Hollywood Elite 4.Truck Driver:eek:

62caddy likes this.
  6. Threshold

Threshold Well-Known Member

I talked w/my local dealer today and he said McIntosh is not meeting sales goals set up by owner Fine Sounds. The Best Buy Magnolias are not doing well especially if they are near B&M dealers.

7. Billion$Baby

Billion$Baby Forum Resident

Havent you been reading this thread?? Your local Mac dealer is probably part of the opium epidemic that is devouring New Hampshire. Your all strung out!! LOL

8. jh901

jh901 Forum Resident

Is this a personal attack lobbed at a fellow member? Save it for PMs or else simply ignore rather than getting into the gray zone of violating forum rules. I'm sure that member would appreciate it. I do hope you end up with some actual hi-end gear someday though. I really do.

9. Bubbamike

Bubbamike Forum Resident

The same could be said for those who knock Bose.

10. jea48

jea48 Forum Resident

Wonder what the thoughts of the dealer might be about McIntosh now being sold at MD?

Interesting message WOM is trying to send to existing as well as future customers. How does MD fit into the big picture?

Fine Sounds Transforms Itself into World of McIntosh (WOM) »

11. Bill Mac

Bill Mac Forum Resident

Just posting my opinion based on fact :). You seem to have no trouble posting your opinions even if it is insulting to fellow members. If you have a problem with it report my post. I actually do have some "hi-end gear" but thanks for your heart felt concern ;). I bought my gear based on the quality of the sound reproduction not on price and name like some do ;).

I find it interesting that you have no problem insulting fellow SH members with your thoughts. But when it's directed your way you invoke forum rules and tell others how they should act. Ignore? Why don't you try that? You never did post how my using 0% financing to buy my car cost me all types of money. Well........?

Bill

Last edited: May 26, 2016
  12. cdash99

cdash99 Senior Member

I think that Massachusetts collected $11.43 in self-reported tax last year.

Tullman and Bill Mac like this.
  13. musichal

musichal Well-Known Member

I pay mine. My state has it on their income tax form - you can pay the actual tax due, or you can use a formula based on income. Comes out much lower the formula way if you are an average earner; so low that I always pay it (about $30 for us) so I'm all legal. We spend thousands out of state, online. I dread when this ride shuts down.

14. Lester Best

Lester Best Well-Known Member

Did he also have a Mac sound system in the truck to enjoy "driving down highway # 1?"

15. Matt Richardson

Matt Richardson Forum Resident

I imagine the mud flaps on the back of his 18 wheeler painted up like two big-blue Mac meters.

SandAndGlass likes this.
  16. Slick Willie

Slick Willie Decisively Indecisive

Wurd!!! I also know that other companies study their customer service 'model'. They purt much set the bar in that area.

17. Slick Willie

:righton:

18. Slick Willie

Wow! That sounds like an informed/non biased/educational post!!!
    Kudos my friend....kudos!!!!

SandAndGlass, 62caddy and Dennis0675 like this.
  19. Slick Willie

I get your point and also think it's a sorta' silly offering, but then I wouldn't pay what a Rolex costs either.
    Probably more for dealers and such. But if they are made to the standards of the amps - thick glass face plate/12 coats black paint (IIRC)/mechanisms built for prolonged performance......well, that ain't gonna' be cheap!

Dennis0675 likes this.
  20. Dennis0675

Dennis0675 Hyperactive!

I don't think I can chalk it up to build quality and performance on the clock to justify the price. What I do think is that MC is a luxury brand that earned that that status by offering world class products for generations. With that comes the opportunity to sell to the market that lives in that stratosphere. It would be foolish not to have business plan that caters to that market. Specifically, that is the they buyer that only knows they want the best and would go into a dealer and buy everything branded MC.

If you were to go all MC with speakers, cables, Turntable and all the rest, it would be a huge purchase. Perhaps that's that guy that buys the clock. It is odd the Music direct offers so very few MC products but the clock is one of them.

History is littered with Audio brands that started as premium, were bought by a lager company and due to their attempts to get more market share became very average to below average. I hope that is not the case with MC but it is a step in that direction.

62caddy and Slick Willie like this.
  21. Tullman

Tullman Senior Member Thread Starter

:laugh:

22. Slick Willie

In bold - that is my concern as well. It started (my concern) when Crutchfield started on line selling of Mc's. Their main store is but a few blocks away from a B&M retailer, well it was a couple of years ago anyway.
    I realize any company has to stay somewhat current to survive, and with B&M stores becoming obsolete...one must find other avenues to move their wares.

Dennis0675 likes this.
  23. 62caddy

62caddy Forum Resident

Indeed it does and everything that has transpired thus far points in that direction and quite frankly, I do not like it at all.

For around 25 years since Gordon Gow's untimely passing, the McIntosh he created could easily been milked, whored out and shredded beyond recognition. Amazingly it didn't as successive ownership somehow resisted the temptation to flush the soul of a once proud company in exchange for a short term bonanza. The fact that it did not for that length of time is nothing short of a miracle, really.

I do not buy into the mentality that all companies must always grow in order to survive, however it is a fact that hi fi has been shrinking industry for some time. However, it will ultimately bottom out and reach equilibrium somewhere and in my view, it would be far better for McIntosh shrink accordingly as necessary and continue as it had always done: Remain small and fiscally conservative, limited volume of high end, high quality product for which there will always be a market, albeit limited while still earning a respectable profit on sales - all the while, keeping intact the McIntosh legend and all it stood for.

Also the number of individual models should be kept deliberately small which also helps to control costs as well as being advantageous to quality control.

Do we really need another big volume mass market audio company? Not in my book.

Last edited: May 27, 2016
    SandAndGlass and Dennis0675 like this.
  24. jeffsab

jeffsab Forum Resident

And compared to the $160,000 clock Bentley sells, it's cheap.
    The Bentley Bentayga's Optional Dash Clock Costs $160,000 »

Dennis0675 and Slick Willie like this.
  25. Slick Willie

All well and good, and I tend to agree with most of your statement...yet find it somewhat naive with a tad bit of pie in the sky mentality. The parent company, now and in the past, acquired the company with a goal in mind. I feel certain that profit was in their minds, not charity or a tax write off. It is, or at least should be, the goal of Mc leadership to present product that makes profit and adheres to their rep of an industry leader in quality. To do so, they will need to meet and even anticipate the needs/wants of their consumer target.
    Gone are the days of stereo shops in every town....rapidly only showing up in areas of high population. Unless Mc wants to only be available in very limited areas, then web sales are becoming a necessity.
    I just hope Mc leadership has enough clout to not sway in the area of quality. Not sure if they could survive as a stand alone company in these days and times ......global economy and all...

Dennis0675 likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.