Hi-Rez Download Reviews - Comments About Music You've Purchased (or want to purchase) *Only*, Please

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by mindblanking, Nov 13, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. mindblanking

mindblanking The Bourbon King Thread Starter

Musiquarium sounds incredible. Much better than the original cd.

2. Gardo

Gardo Audio Epistemologist

Glad to hear it sounds great. I've downloaded three hi-res Stevie Wonder albums (Music of My Mind, Fulfillingness First Finale, and Songs in the Key of Life) and they also sound wonderful to me.

For Original Musiquarium, which original CD do you mean - the initial release, or the remastered version that came out in the early 2000's?

c-eling likes this.
  3. jfeldt

jfeldt Forum Resident

The 24/48 WAV download of Radiohead's A Moon Shaped Pool sounds better than the 16/44 WAVs but still doesn't sound great on an absolute scale. I would recommend the 24/48 if you like this music like I do.

dtuck90 and Stone Turntable like this.
  4. sunspot42

sunspot42 Forum Resident

Interesting. I saw a highres Talking Book out there, somewhere, but didn't pick it up. Wonder (no pun intended) if it's a similar improvement.

5. c-eling

c-eling Dinner's In The Microwave Sweety

Thanks Gardo, I only have the lp of 'Talking Book' from Stevie, I might chance the 'Key of Life' :cheers:

6. sunspot42

sunspot42 Forum Resident

I picked up the early 2000's Stevie remasters. I know a lot of people trashed them, but I thought they sounded better than the original CDs (at least in a quick comparison). The DR values of the remaster are similar to the old CD, according to the DR Database, but not identical. They're also similar to the HDTracks 24/96.

c-eling likes this.
  7. sunspot42

sunspot42 Forum Resident

I did pick up the HDTracks Songs In The Key Of Life awhile back. Sounded good, but I don't know if it's dramatically better than the CD.

8. c-eling

Doesn't look like any of the albums were squashed, good news :)

9. sunspot42

sunspot42 Forum Resident

I'm kinda hesitant to blow a lot of dough on Stevie "remasters", because he has the original masters and has never (AFAIK) authorized a release from them - everything available so far is taken from copies. Keep waiting for a definitive "remasters" from the originals...

10. c-eling

Thanks for the info, interesting... Vinyl is obviously a crapshoot condition wise, I'm more of a casual fan so not having a hard copy isn't really an issue, I'll ponder on it

11. tremspeed

tremspeed Well-Known Member

So going all the way back to those 70s albums, none have been pressed from a master tape? For what reason?

12. Gardo

A substantial improvement to my ears though dramatic might be too strong. I love these albums so "substantial" was plenty for me.

13. Gardo

As I recall, the copies for these hi-red files were carefully made and transfer losses were minimal. They sound great to my ears.

14. Gardo

Recommended!

c-eling likes this.
  15. sunspot42

sunspot42 Forum Resident

That's my understanding - no idea if it's true or not.

tremspeed likes this.
  16. soundQman

soundQman Senior Member

Where did you get that 24/48 download? Their own website?

17. jfeldt

jfeldt Forum Resident

18. hvbias

hvbias Midrange magic

I compared A Moon Shaped Pool's 24/48 to 16/44 using foo_abx, I could not tell them apart. The album is way too limited for any bit depth advantage.

19. mindblanking

If you're a fan of jazz and a fan of Duke Ellington's "Blues in Orbit" I strongly recommend you pick up the DSD download from Acousticsounds. It's even better than the old MFSL sacd hybrid. Has a warmer sound and the piano keys really resonate. It's a bit quieter too. You can hear a little deeper into the music and feel what it might've been like to be in the studio when this was recorded. The MFSL is phenomenal and maybe the 15 year difference in technology accounts for why this version is superior but it is.

jfeldt, tgdinamo and B-Mike like this.
  20. mindblanking

Oh and I should probably make it clear I'm converting from DSD to 176/24 using JRiver and listening on my Schiit multibit Gungnir

21. mindblanking

Anybody thinking about the Travelling Wiburys offerings? Bad things being said about DR on the other thread which is why I escaped here for some honest opinions based on listening.

Fritz G23 and xj32 like this.
  22. taramark

taramark Forum Resident

I don't have the S&G Greatest Hits, but I did buy 24/192 PSR&T, Bookends, and Bridge. I thought they sounded too "airy" with not enough bass end.

23. Chooke

Chooke Forum Resident

That description has a similarity to the Greatest Hits.

24. Gardo

I bought the hi-red BOTW and didn't much like it. Sounded sterile and not very dynamic.

25. thebeatles67

thebeatles67 Forum Resident In Memoriam

Purchased Elvis Costello-"My Aim is True" in 24/192. Sounds much improved over the cd reissues over the years. More bass and the vocals are clearer IMO.
    Also purchased Son Volt-"Trace" expanded version with the Bottom Line show included. Another nice 24/192 master and IMO sounds better than the cd counterpart.
    Lastly The Traveling Wilburys Collection- in 24/192. Not cheap at over $35 for the download but IMO its worth it to hear these songs in the highest sound quality.

jfeldt likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.