U-Turn Audio Orbit Plus OR Gramovox Floating Record Turntable?

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by Get2Me, Jul 23, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. HiFi Guy

HiFi Guy Forum Resident

Having just sold my SOTA Star, not much. My Pioneer PLX-1000 far outperforms it.

OcdMan likes this.
  2. Beet

Beet Forum Resident

I have the blue one and I think it looks very nice. The red one looked very sharp as well. I considered that one, along with the green one. I think the red one would be a good choice. Most turntables seem to be black, like you said, so I wanted to get a more unconventional color. I believe red would be even more unconventional than blue.

3. Ghostworld

Ghostworld Senior Member

If your profile system is what you're still using (Panasonic mini system), get the U-Turn. Spending more would be a waste, IMO.

SandAndGlass likes this.
  4. Beet

Beet Forum Resident

What do you mean by it not having a good plinth or platter? I'm confused on what makes a plinth good. Isn't the tracking force what matters the most?

MikeInFla likes this.
  5. Jasonb

Jasonb Forum Resident

A platter with more mass helps keep the speed from varying and isolates the record from motor vibration. Light platters can more easily transmit vibration. Also the type of material used can affect the sound. You may get a better explanation from those who have upgraded theirs. I think the orbit is mdf

SandAndGlass likes this.
  6. Beet

Beet Forum Resident

The basic is mdf (which I have), but he wants the plus which is acrylic.

7. Jasonb

Jasonb Forum Resident

He's paying for the better, heavier more solid platter then. Don't sweat it Beet, enjoy the basic. Plenty of more expensive turntables to think about one day!

8. Beet

Beet Forum Resident

Yeah, I don't really care about the platter at this point. As long as it's not made of shrapnel.

timztunz and Jasonb like this.
  9. jupiterboy

jupiterboy Forum Residue

There are differing design philosophies. Note the Rega arm is tapered, which helps prevent resonance at any specific frequency. Heavier platter/plinth and material can help prevent motor noise, speaker vibration, etc. from going back up into the cartridge. This makes for a signal that is more music and less non music.

But as noted, it's not to worry about. U-Turn makes good compromises for the price point and everyone that gets one says very nice things about it. Not everyone agrees with me, or likes what I like.

Dr Jackson and Jasonb like this.
  10. jimbutsu

jimbutsu WATCH YÖUR STEPPE

I'd go for the U-turn - it is not a bad unit at all, and I'd even say if you do some of the upgrades, at the high end of "entry level." If I'm not mistaken, doesn't the Gramavox have a line-level output and no phono out? Unless it's got the most amazing of stages built in, that's a big strike against it.

11. If you are looking to assemble an inexpensive (relatively) system, there are demo PS Audio Sprout's out there for $499 (instead of $799) and Pioneer SP-B21 speakers for $49/pair. Quite a system for $550--the Sprout includes an amplifier, phono preamp, USB DAC, another analog input, and Bluetooth.

12. krisjay

krisjay Psychedelic Wave Rider

Kind of off subject, but, does anyone know if the U-Turn's tonearm has a mass low enough to use a Sonus Gold Blue on it. I really hate not using that wonderful cart/stylus, but haven't had a tonearm with low enough mass to use it in a long bit of time. Just curious if the Orbit Plus could make use of it.

13. Classicrock

Classicrock Senior Member

Most tonearms supplied are medium mass and doubt this will be any different. I think you need a vintage arm with old very high compliance cartridges such as Mayware or Infinity Black widow. Should work in an SME 3009 'Improved' or SME III.

14. jeffmissinne

jeffmissinne Forum Resident

Everything old is new again...check out this circa 1930 16mm "talkie" projector that used 16-inch Vitaphone discs for sound.

http://i.imgur.com/6S6BzT8.jpg

15. MadMelMon

MadMelMon Forum Resident

I have a U-Turn with an acrylic platter, and I can't find any significant difference in performance between it and my (considerably more expensive) Music Hall, which has a heavy glass platter. The fiberboard platter that's standard for the U-Turn...I didn't even consider that, to be honest. Didn't seem like the best idea o_O I didn't pick one up or anything, but it seems like it would be a lot more prone to unwanted vibrations. Anybody with a better grasp of the physics of the thing is invited to agree/disagree.

In terms of a starter table, the U-Turn is a good choice. It does have some downsides, though.

1 - It feels cheap. The dust cover is cheap plastic and won't stay in place when you open it on its hinges. You have to remove it completely in order to be safe (this is not difficult at all...it slides right off, and goes back on easily.)

2 - No tonearm cue. You can buy one for $40, but it doesn't come with one.

3 - Adjusting the counterweight is a pain. It doesn't move easily or smoothly, and finding that all important sweet spot can be hugely frustrating.

4 - The thing that bugs me the most is the belt. Changing it from 33 -> 45 is no big deal, but 45 -> 33 seems damn near impossible some days. I never get it in one try.

If you have a halfway decent vintage audio shop, it'd be worth checking out. I see fairly good tables for $150-ish from time to time. A $300 used table would in most cases blow a U-Turn away, good as the U-Turn is.

So far as the floating table...physics was never my strong suit, but that seems like a terrible idea. Tracking force, warps, no platter to keep things stable. If those aren't problems, it's a great idea. But I can't imagine that they wouldn't be problems.

16. McLover

McLover Senior Member

On that budget, go U-Turn. Their efforts are the AR XA turntable of today, the best inexpensive basic turntable you can buy today for a budget. Their efforts to strive for a quality effort should be rewarded. Not the last word, but for the price, hard to beat.

GetHappy!! likes this.
  17. OldSkoolFool

OldSkoolFool Forum Resident

I have a U-Turn Orbit (green) and I love it. It's downstairs and hooked up to my main home theatre area of my house. I'm thinking about getting a second player for upstairs and I'm wondering if I should stick with the Orbit or go for the novelty of the Floating Record. It would be for casual listening before bed. Think it might be kind of sexy to have that player spinning some Marvin Gaye.

18. SpeedMorris

SpeedMorris Forum Resident

Seriously, I wish that SOMEBODY would pick up the Gramovox and report on it. No one around here is made of money? Nobody wants a novelty for their Long Island summer home bedroom?:p

But it does have what looks like a Pro-Ject Carbon arm and the AT95 should be fine. So I suppose it gets down to how the speakers sound; comparable to a Bose radio? Would a listen to Rubber Soul while lying on the bed and staring at the ceiling or reading be a fun thing? Seems like it would. Next step might be a pair of powered speakers, but then you've wasted some speaker money- unless some young 'un uses the included ones for a couple of years in the dorm room or apt.

So it actually seems like a good value- a $300 TT with preamp and "speakers"- and yet also seems likea deal where the sum just doesn't equal the parts if one doesn't have a really appropriate use for it. I assume they have a 30-day guarantee.(?)

19. OldSkoolFool

Im really close to pulling the trigger on it. I'd just run it through my receiver in my room and into some Energy speakers. I wonder how the pre-amp is on it? Wish you could bypass it.

I'm still angry about the crappy pre-amp on my LP120 which ended up failing which I suppose is ok since I need to get that sucker yanked out.

20. SpeedMorris

I wish there were some reviews on this one, as it seems like a nice bedroom unit candidate. I'd like to be assured that the motor is reliable or that a cart upgrade would result in commensurate improvement. But it looks kinda bedroomy, no? And it has auto shutoff if you nod off.:)

It does have a 2-year warranty and you deal directly with the company ("lifetime support", it says). Maybe not quite like dealing with one of the 3 Boston boys, but they're not a federal bureaucracy, either.

RT81 High Fidelity Vinyl Turntable Record Player with Premium Cartridge & Diamond Needle | Fluance »

21. BKphoto

BKphoto JazzAllDay

why buy an entry level table?...there has been a billion threads about how much money you are going to waste and in the long run you will be upgrading it anyway....so just cut to the chase, save your money and buy a real table...

22. jedstar

jedstar Well-Known Member

ya.......what he said....

be smart not anxious

23. OldSkoolFool

Well... I ordered a Floating Record. Just have to check it out and see what it's like. Worse comes to worse I will sell it.

Also picked up another U-Turn Orbit Plus. Which BTW... If anyone is interested Barnes and Noble has a 20% off coupon code for one item. I got the Orbit Plus (black) for $247.20

24. SpeedMorris

Dang, heck of a deal (at B&N). I imagine they'll do that again sometime. I need a second table like the proverbial hole in the head, but that is very tempting. Is shipping even included?

Definitely want to get the report on the the Floater. (You could make or break the company! :righton: or :thumbsdow)

25. sakuraba

sakuraba Forum Resident

Thanks for the heads up on the coupon. I've been looking at the Orbit Plus recently and that will make me pull the trigger today. My only concern is it looks like it ships with the Ortofon OM 5E while I was looking at the Grado Black1. Is that a big deal or just a matter of preference? Anyone have opinions one way or the other?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.