Agree? I have all the music I want for the rest of my life. No need to hear anything new.

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by spice9, May 21, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Jamey K

Jamey K Internet Sensation

2. pickwick33

pickwick33 Forum Resident

It goes both ways. I've seen middle-aged people over the last decade buying tickets for Lollapalooza and regularly listening to Kanye West.

The generation gap argument for music? That don't work no more.

It's not like back in 1968 when some Glenn Miller fan was telling his Rolling Stones-loving son to turn that crap down. Too many generations raised on rock have come up since then. This is really true, now that the hip-hop fans of the 80s now have college-aged kids of their own.

Synthfreek likes this.
  3. Durm

Durm Forum Resident

The emotional connection between a listener and a band made up of people their own age singing about subjects they can relate to. This answer is not meant to be argumentative, I really believe that younger listeners relate to peers much more readily than older listeners can be expected to.

4. johnny 99

johnny 99 Down On Main Street

Those 5 acts I mentioned are kinda timeless if you ask me; they still sound great (and not at all dated in the way I hear much of today's stuff is...)

5. Stallings

Stallings Forum Resident

This 50-year-old will be thinking of some of you as he meanders through the Pierce the Veil crowd in a couple of weeks. If you don't see good music being produced in 2016 it's entirely possible that you aren't the music fan you think you are.

6. pickwick33

pickwick33 Forum Resident

It's not that simple to blame it on the Internet. I could go into one of the local used record store on any given weekend and find some 24-year-old stocking up on albums - vinyl albums - by, say, Nick Drake or Depeche Mode or Run-DMC. Blaming it on online media is a lazy, go-to argument.

7. Tristero

Tristero In possession of the future tense

Do you still listen to a lot of rock music that was made by guys in their 20s? If so, is it purely a nostalgic connection from your past or does the music still speak to you? A lot of my favorite stuff was made by fairly young artists, and that includes some of the more recent discoveries of bands that I wasn't previously familiar with.

8. PlushFieldHarpy

PlushFieldHarpy Forum Resident

Not to mention that "Turn that racket down in there!" takes on a different meaning in the age of brickwalling.

Last edited: May 26, 2016
  9. johnny 99

Just to keep informed, I listened to some of this on You Tube.
    Are you kidding? This sounds like it's meant for teenagers. I've heard this style of Rock done by so many acts in the last 15 years (Hedley, My Chemical Romance...) My friend, it's been done!
    They also stole a few licks from Soul Asylum.
    If you think this is good stuff, fine. But to insinuate that you're not a music fan because you don't like this kind of adolescent emo-Rock??
    I can't see anyone over the age of 21 liking this (and there's not a shred of originality to it whatsoever)
    You'll be the oldest one there, trust me!:laugh:

10. Gaslight

Gaslight ⎧⚍⎫⚑

Bob Marley? How could I relate to music from a guy in his late 20's / early 30's? I mean comon.

Juan Matus likes this.
  11. Mr. Webster the Poster

Mr. Webster the Poster Well-Known Member

One flaw in your argument is that Classic Rock fans, when Classic Rock bands were in their prime, we're not the same age as the band members. They were not peers. They were a good 10 years or more younger than the members of bands they were fans of.. Plus, are young people today really singing about subjects that are that unrelateable?

12. johnny 99

There's a big difference in the lifestyles of 20 somethings and 50 somethings.
    I can't relate to them for the most part. Why should I want to relate to their music?

Guess what? My nephews are in their 20's and they don't want my age group at their shows, their parties or listening to their music. That's the way it should be.

This thread is just one long-running hamster wheel that's never going to end in any kind of agreement.

13. Gaslight

Gaslight ⎧⚍⎫⚑

Something's wrong with that - didn't you father get the book of Music Appreciation Do's and Don'ts?

Rule #7 : Though shall not enjoy the music of newer generations (*but enjoying the music of the older generation is permitted)

Juan Matus likes this.
  14. Tristero

So you no longer relate to classic Beatles and Stones songs?

Lost In The Flood likes this.
  15. johnny 99

I was YOUNGER then when those songs came out (even though I clearly remember when they were released) Of course, I still love them.
    It's not the same thing.

Show me one damn 56 year old who liked The Stones in 1966.

16. Mr. Webster the Poster

If that's the case, why are you stuck on the music from the past, Classic Rock bands in their prime and all, when they were in their 20s? Surely you can't relate...

Besides, who cares about being relatable? I listen to songs that sing about drug use and all night partying and I don't do any of that. I like the songs because I like the songs, and not because of whether or not I can relate to it. Good music is good music regardless if I can relate to its subject matter.

Lost In The Flood and tim185 like this.
  17. Gaslight

Gaslight ⎧⚍⎫⚑

Calm down there johnny 99; this is an intelligent discourse here...no need to get all wonky.

Danby Delight, Stallings and Tristero like this.
  18. Mr. Webster the Poster

Yes, it is exactly the same thing. You said you can't relate to lifestyles of those in their 20s. It makes no difference whether it is a Classic Rock band or a modern musician. Unrelateble to lifestyles is unrelateable to lifestyles.

19. Tristero

Well, I didn't know any 56 year olds back then because I wasn't born, but as I mentioned earlier, my dad became a major Who and Led Zeppelin fan in his 40s. I guess he was just having a midlife crisis.

Lost In The Flood likes this.
  20. Gaslight

Gaslight ⎧⚍⎫⚑

So if I wasn't exposed to an artist like Love or Nick Drake until I was in my forties (which btw would be an accurate statement in my case), would I have to then dismiss that music being that the artists at the time when they recorded these albums were much younger than I am now?

I can't play the "I heard it when I was younger" card because I hadn't. How is that different than listening to a modern artist who is the same age today? Please explain.

21. Khaki F

Khaki F Forum Resident

The counter argument would be, because it doesn't belong to you and it isn't intended for you. I'm not saying that I agree with that, mind you, but that is the counter argument.

22. Tristero

Though obviously the work of a young man, Nick Drake's songs have proven themselves to be pretty timeless to a range of fans from different generations and age groups. Quality is quality.

23. Stallings

Stallings Forum Resident

By all means, enjoy the solitude with your turntable and cork-sniffer records. I'll be having the time of my life as I tend to do.

aseriesofsneaks likes this.
  24. Gaslight

Gaslight ⎧⚍⎫⚑

I'll reply to this one, and I'll drop the sarcasm for a moment because it seems like a clear-headed and lucid statement on your part.

You're absolutely right - you can't win here. And what I mean by that is that if you cannot find any enjoyment from modern music in general, then that is entirely on you. It's not because it was made for teenage girls or hipsters, no talent derivative formulaic trash or whatever else your mind thinks the reason may be.

It really is all in your mind.

25. audiomixer

audiomixer As Bald As The Beatles

Are you kidding me?!? I'm not dead yet! There's a lot of great new music out today; just like there's a lot of bad, too. That's been going on since the beginning of time.

Lost In The Flood, Devon and PHILLYQ like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.