The Monkees Good Times (1CD)-New 2016 album

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by yellowballoon, Feb 4, 2016.

1. johnny moondog 909

johnny moondog 909 Beatles-Lennon & Classic rock fan

Can the bonus be purchased at iTunes Japan now ? I don't have ITunes I can't check

2. MagneticNorthpaw

MagneticNorthpaw Senior Member

Great interview and another above-average line of questioning. Again, another bookend to the Sixties: Peter expresses, less forcefully now, some disappointment with the studio arrangement. But maybe he will have a chance to work with Nez again if this has legs and Rhino has the impetus. They were always "oil and water" so it was nice to hear him talk affectionately of Nez at any rate.

One wonders how political the lyrics of "A Better World" are and if that had some bearing on Rhino's decision to keep it off the standard edition and download.

D-rock, George C. and bluejeanbaby like this.
  3. scotty j.

scotty j. Forum Resident

You make a great point @MagneticNorthpaw. The more things change the more things stay the same with the Monkees.

D-rock likes this.
  4. readr

readr Forum Resident

No, it will not let you purchase it unless your computer lives in Japan.:cry:
    But I recommend getting iTunes......and maybe changing over from cassettes to CD's.

johnny moondog 909 likes this.
  5. George C.

George C. Forum Resident

I love Peter's bluntness there throughout the interview. Love this line: "The critics who had their knives out for us in the ‘60s were still in charge in ’97. But they all died off before 2001." :laugh:

So, Peter's brother wrote the song? I would have liked it on the normal album. I mean it certainly won't be worse than "Gotta Give It Time". ;) I mean, really, this may be the last hurrah. Let Peter have his songs.

Don't worry, Peter. I'm buying your songs. :wave:

Here's hoping for a follow-up album! :cheers:

bluejeanbaby and D-rock like this.
  6. George C.

George C. Forum Resident

Thank you! I was very close to taking time off of work. You saved me some money. :tiphat:

I333I likes this.
  7. j_rocker

j_rocker Forum Resident

When having good times!, remember safety first.

8. Sunset Sam

Sunset Sam Forum Resident

Well, many of The Monkees' songs back in the '60s weren't either. And other Rhino releases would show the multiple dates. This is just lazy.

9. Squealy

Squealy Forum Hall Of Fame

They would probably have worked on all the songs continually in various ways over the month or two they were recording, doing overdubs, editing, what have you. They don't want to put "February 2, 3, 5, 9, 10, 12, 15, 18, 21, 22, 2016" on every song. (And does it really matter what the specific days were? Never mind, I'm forgetting where I am.)

Last edited: May 26, 2016
    Beaneydave, JuanTCB, Mazzy and 2 others like this.
  10. shmenge7372

shmenge7372 Member

Technically, you need an account with a Japanese address...or at least that's how it is with the U.K. Store. There are sites where you can obtain a Japanese iTunes gift card and with a Japanese account, can make purchases. I have a UK and US account and have purchased from both. There are some issues with switching between multiple account on the same advice but there are workarounds.

IF you can get the track on the Japanese CD, I would advise that as your best bet. A lot of hassle for little return with multiple iTunes accounts.

11. johnny moondog 909

I think most of us will have the album & the bonus tracks tomorrow. So that's great.

It's the 27th already in Europe, Japan, Aussie & NZ. But YouTube, the web, nobody has clips of bonus tracks accessible in USA that I can find. Very, very frustrating, but stupid on my part, it's only a few more hours.

I'm assuming shortly after midnight I can get Terrifying & Magdalena #2 from Amazon. I have a copy of A Better World, hopefully arriving from FYE tomorrow but I've never bought FYE before, not sure if they have good shipping. Since I already bought the physical CD, I can't imagine Amazon charging more than $1.29 for the 2 Amazon bonus. Generally Amazon gives me a free mp3 of every CD I buy.

It's a good Monkees album, it compares favorably to recent studio albums done by their peers. I'm thinking of the recent McCartney CD NEW, The Beach Boys 2012 reunion album & Wilson's 2015 solo album. Dave Davies 2 recent studio albums The WHOs new 2014 single.

I liked all those, but arguably, The Monkees made the most solid album out of all those.

If you find bonus tracks pm me

12. yellowballoon

yellowballoon Senior Member Thread Starter

It was a screw up because Ticketmaster didn't figure in the cost of the download in the ticket price. Nothing is ever free

13. yellowballoon

In the same interview he mentions the bonus track

D-rock likes this.
  14. johnny moondog 909

Well generally, when an honorable company makes a mistake. They honor their word, eat the cost of the mistake, & don't punish the customer. Happens all the time. Just depends on what kind of company you're dealing with.

George C. and Rfreeman like this.
  15. yellowballoon

From what John Hughes said Ticketmaster did not pay for it. So sounds like Rhino is the one not honoring the deal. Otherwise Rhino would be giving it away. Rhino wants to be paid for it.

16. yellowballoon

I heard Peter's still in debt for studio time for Lady's Baby ...

17. Rfreeman

Rfreeman Senior Member

I'm not in a position to say whether TM or TW is at fault, but they need to work it out between them and at least offer a refund to the few people thst would not want the tickets without the downloads.

johnny moondog 909 likes this.
  18. PhoffiFozz

PhoffiFozz Forum Resident

Quite Frankly, the way most people work in the digital realm, unless your going to have someone keep a majorly detailed diary (something that most people working in the studio neither have the time nor desire to do), it can be pretty tricky keeping exact dates beyond a tracking date.

I might track a band today, [rhythm guitar, bass, drums] but in the end only use the drum track. The next night we might redo the bass, even though we thought we were going to keep it. So far that's easy... but then you start doing things and replacing little bits. You work almost every night (or day) but some days you're not really recording and other days you're not keeping things you've recorded because you're editing or mixing. Next thing you know the recording for the album is finished and you've worked straight through the month. You go to do mixing and on one date during mixing you might replace 2 bass notes after you already think everything is finished... So it's almost easier to list the days you don't record. :) And really that's how you get to "we recorded this track March 2016". Or February-March 2016.

Not to say things were entirely different back in the 60's, but studios were run as businesses and the dates we get are just from fairly loose documentation. They're obviously not totally accurate. There are tons of Monkees 1966 recordings where we only have one date, or 2 dates that are confirmed for tracking, but no other dates to show the day the vocals were dubbed on. And that's pretty important "exact date" information that we're missing.

Look at a song like "Take a Giant Step". The Monkees were not recording their vocals the same day as the tracking sessions. And in fact, their vocals weren't apparently always done at one time. "Take a Giant Step" was recorded on July 9, 1966. But that is obviously just the instrumentation. Not Micky's voice. He put a vocal on sometime later. (We don't know when) and backing vocals were supplied by someone else (Boyce? Hart? Hicklin?). A mix was made and used in the episode "The Chaperone", but at some point, those backing vocals were replaced by Micky's own backing vocals and a new mono mix was made for the single & other episodes. And a stereo mix was made for the LP... So my point is, exact dates are really cool (I'm a big fan myself) but I think they're just being somewhat realistic in not trying to pin down what is what if they're not 100% certain.

I actually wanted to be totally accurate when my original band first started recording our first album. I was documenting in the session and taking notes. I realized by week 3, that I had already missed tons of things we had done at various sessions and wasn't even sure of the dates we were in the studio at that point... I gave up! :)

19. PhoffiFozz

PhoffiFozz Forum Resident

And they should be paid for it. Especially if we want things like this to ever happen again.

And yes, Ticketmaster should be honoring a refund, if that is what the customer wants. (I'd wager MOST wouldn't). But I doubt Ticketmaster will do that.

20. j_rocker

j_rocker Forum Resident

It also means they forgo adding all the ticket downloads to the album sales totals, right?

21. j_rocker

j_rocker Forum Resident

Oh for the love of Pete, Monkees should never be political.

22. Packaged in a Scrabble box with chips and dips and pink party hats. And maybe some marbles.

Last edited: May 26, 2016
    Galley and Allen Michael like this.
  23. mrbobdobalina

mrbobdobalina Forum Resident

Yeah -- "For Pete's Sake" and "Zor and Zam" should be about as political as they get. And they work because they're basically universal themes.

bluejeanbaby, Drifter and j_rocker like this.
  24. yellowballoon

What refund? they never charged for the album. A refund makes no sense in this case. Why would you throw away going to an awesome show over a $10 digital download you never were charged for anyway? They should just give it away for free.

MarkTheShark and Drifter like this.
  25. yellowballoon

Really it's Rhino's call on the tracks on the album both Mike and Peter gave that away in their recent interviews.