Adele to Sign 130 Million $$ Sony deal

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by roughdiamondnickel, May 22, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. tim185

tim185 Forum Resident

Yeah they are all valid points. I find her lyrically content sorely lacks variety, the Poor me thing gets real old real quick. BUT thats not really the point here.

2. Fify

3. rocknsoul74

rocknsoul74 Forum Resident

Sony is stupid and Adele would be a sucker if she signs a deal now. You don't sign a megadeal after the bubble bursts. You really think Adele is going to sell 20 million on her 4th album?

4. bhasenstab

bhasenstab Forum Resident

I'm taking the under on this deal. The most recent album didn't rate a purchase in any format, as far as I'm concerned, even though I even sprang for a vinyl copy of the previous effort.

5. Chemguy

Chemguy Forum Resident

Let me say that again without the spell checking mistake:

Finally, she'll be able to buy that small country she's always had her eye on.

6. DreamIsOver

DreamIsOver Senior Member

Despite my nitpicking earlier in this thread I don't think this is a bad deal for Sony.

But - as strange as it sounds - looking at the numbers, Adele may already be on the downside. In the US, 25 is a little less than 3 million copies behind 21. Not bad at all but consider this - from the time of 25's release through the end of the holidays (roughly 6 weeks) it sold 8.1 million copies. In 5 months since it has only sold 600,000 copies.

No album has ever benefited more from holiday gift giving. Obviously it would have sold well regardless of when it was released but the "Xmas gravy train" definitely inflated those numbers.

7. Diego Lucas

Diego Lucas Forum Resident

25 is a good album, but i not have the desire to hear him in the next 25 years. :whistle:

8. zappinnati

zappinnati Forum Resident

Now she will probably drop a country album and alienate her fanbase.

9. Rne

Rne weltschmerz

I should work for approximately more than 9 million years to earn that money. I guess there will be no planet by then.

10. Isn't she still in her 20s? Then its a good deal...

11. Merrick

Merrick The return of the Thin White Duke

Seems like a lot of hostility and resentment over this deal. What's wrong with Adele making a lot of money off of her success?

12. eddiel

eddiel Senior Member

The articles I read, and it was a very long time ago, said otherwise. But the deal was a 360 deal so maybe they did once they accounted for merch, etc after all this time. Still I can't see how they actually made a decent profit on that deal but if they broke even not a total loss.

13. eddiel

eddiel Senior Member

I think you've failed to account for the fact that many people on this forum are far more qualified & capable to assess the profitability of this deal, even with very little information, than anyone at Sony or Adele's management team. :)

14. Merrick

Merrick The return of the Thin White Duke

Right, I do sometimes forget how many psychics and experts are on the internet!

15. Michael

Michael I LOVE WIDE S-T-E-R-E-O!

I guess Sony knows more than the listener...

16. Michael

Michael I LOVE WIDE S-T-E-R-E-O!

well then they need to suck her dry NOW!

progrocker likes this.
  17. bob60

bob60 Forum Resident

It's because she is a female, young mega succesfull and attractive, sadly on this site that brings out the haters.
    Think I'm wrong? Just check out how many threads on female artists are deleted on these forums due to vile attacks.

Last edited: May 27, 2016
  18. Lord Summerisle

Lord Summerisle Forum Resident

I thought these mega deals were a thing of the past...

19. SoundAdvice

SoundAdvice Senior Member

I really think the deal is just for recorded music. No touring/merch. Keep in mind Adele may only get the full 130m if she hits certain quotas.

If Sony wants to push some new streaming then the future Adele album could be a part of that.

Didn't ZZ Top sign some mega deal in 1990 that lost the label a ton of money?

20. chacha

chacha Forum Resident In Memoriam

Human Nature apparently.

21. lennonfan1

lennonfan1 Senior Member

Which is probably why it was released at Christmastime. :)

DreamIsOver and bob60 like this.
  22. lennonfan1

lennonfan1 Senior Member

They were until Adele came along.

bob60 likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.