Your audiophile embarassment

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by Ghostworld, May 20, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. TVC15

TVC15 Forum Resident

Mine: at one time believing all this nonsense

2. Jose Jones

Jose Jones Outstanding Forum Member

I like to fall asleep listening to my Bose Wave Radio. Don't hate me for it....

papatwo, dennman6 and Vinyl Addict like this.
  3. ibanez_ax

ibanez_ax Forum Resident

I've managed to bend not one, but TWO Jico SAS styli. I'm REAL careful now with my third since they don't make them anymore!

Years ago, I believed the iTunes BS that 128 kbps AAC was "CD quality". I'm still re-ripping CDs to lossless.

msg and ShallowMemory like this.
  4. Chooke

Chooke Forum Resident

Finial LT-1 laser turntable. Sounded great but I spent more time cleaning the record than listening to it. Sold it six months later at a heavy discount.

fitzrik likes this.
  5. Dennis Metz

Dennis Metz Born In A Motor City south of Detroit

Now that's funny:cheers:

Long Live Analog likes this.
  6. Dennis Metz

Dennis Metz Born In A Motor City south of Detroit

Every Canadian's right:cheers:

7. Bachtoven

Bachtoven Forum Resident

Fortunately, this didn't happen to me, but ages ago a music professor friend of mine bought a Bose 901 system and never hooked up the equalizer! If you thought they sounded bad with the equalizer...

Bigbudukks likes this.
  8. Back a year or so, explaining to my wife exactly why I needed 12 headphones and four headphone amps. Now I'm down to 8 phones and 3 amps I feel so much better.

msg, rodentdog, SandAndGlass and 6 others like this.
  9. ShallowMemory

ShallowMemory Classical Princess

Spending an hour trying to figure out why the cassette deck wouldn't record off my stereo and the realizing the mic/line input selector was on....Mic!

Bigbudukks likes this.
  10. bluesky

bluesky Senior Member

Embarassment?

None really... yet.

11. mdm08033

mdm08033 Senior Member

Between 1989 and 1990 I worked at a Philadelphia area Silo, a regional appliance/stereo store. I took advantage of the employee discount to buy some Monster interconnects and speaker wire for my Harmon component system and Ohm speakers. What a waste.

Fast forward to 1994 and I'm back in the game at a specialty stereo and home theater shop. At the time Audio Quest OWNED the back cover of Stereophile. I never sold any AQ interconnects prodicts above the Turquoise. They had a nice solid RCA connection and shielded cable. I'm sure I could paid the rent and eventually mortgage if I could have learned to sell the snake oil but I couldn't do it.

SandAndGlass likes this.
  12. I washed them all with dish soap, yet lost a few. One I later ripped to a computer using error correction. Now it just has a slight click but plays. Also, soon after the incident, I cancelled my subscription to Stereophile.

Robert C and Sneaky Pete like this.
  13. LeeS

LeeS Music Fan

I heard three different Polk dealers refer to it as a design flaw. I used an Adcom GFA-555 Mark 2 amp with these speakers at the time which was a very well respected amp. I did not play the speakers very loud either. Yet the tweeters failed constantly. That level of unreliability constitutes a design flaw in my book.

asilker likes this.
  14. Wally Swift

Wally Swift Yo-Yoing where I will...

Today I drove around Brooklyn listening to a Bee Gees disco compilation I found for 99 cents.

I wonder how great a Starless era Crimson cover of Knights on Broadway would be?

action pact likes this.
  15. tim185

tim185 Forum Resident

Um...can someone explain the theory behind armour all on CD's?

16. F1nut

F1nut Forum Resident

I know every model of SDA speakers like the back of my hand, there is no design flaw. It seems like you were tripping the polyswitches rather than blowing tweeters. Why that happened to you I can only speculate.

SandAndGlass likes this.
  17. acdc7369

acdc7369 Forum Resident

I've blown out way more speaker drivers than I care to admit

18. LeeS

LeeS Music Fan

Good amp, no volume overload...I'm not sure why these would fail so frequently.

19. JBStephens

JBStephens I don't "like", "share", "tweet", or CARE. In Memoriam

Years ago I was remastering an album, I forget which one. It played and recorded okay, but when I went do to the remaster, I had no sound output. I thought "The mastering program doesn't have the right sound card selected." It did. Thinking "It must be the sound card drivers.", I removed and re-installed the drivers. Nothing. That left me with "It must be the CABLES! There's nothing left!" So I ran new cables between the computer and the preamp, total elapsed time probably at least an hour, at which point I noticed.....

The power amp wasn't turned on!

20. Forgetting to turn the Mono switch back to Stereo.

21. Veltri

Veltri ♪♫♫♪♪♫♫♪

I too often take my headphones off and put them right beside me when I'm relaxing outside, forgetting they're still attached to the player in my pocket. My kids get a kick out of seeing me walk around like a fool, headphones dragging through the grass behind me.

msg likes this.
  22. Jimi Floyd

Jimi Floyd Forum Resident

C'mooooooooon?!?!?!!!

23. Chooke

Chooke Forum Resident

I wouldn't call snake oil a theory, but the thinking goes something like this - Armor All fills in the scratches. The rubbing levels off the surface on the CD and the Armor All fills in any remaining imperfections of the surface of the disc. This improves the quality of the reflected beam because the Armour All and rubbing process has fixed the diffraction problem caused by the irregular surface of the scratch. The reflected laser beam will be more accurate and rely less on error recovery which results in better sound quality.

Of course that is nonsense, a compromised disc will either play or it won't, or at best skip or get stuck. There is no degradation of sound as long as the disc can play. The biggest purveyors of this snake oil (and the green marker pen) was the Stereophile magazine, which not only claimed night and day differences, but differences which can be heard by most of their staff. Of course, this is the same mag that claims night and day differences between expensive cables, cable lifters, sound qualities of gear at odds with their specifications etc. There is an interesting article on this below.

Disappointingly, Music Direct continues to sell those green marker pens, claiming it improves the sound quality.

And Now -- The Latest Thing To Improve Cds »

24. bajaed

bajaed Forum Resident

Just picked up a used set of the Name and put them between my Oppo and Rogue. Letting everything warm up right now. Bought them from a member on another forum who has a good track record so I would think they are real. They are a lighter yellow that my other VDH.

I have a pair of the VDH d102 mkiii that I like a lot but these are cheaper. Guess I'll find out.

25. misterdecibel

misterdecibel Bulbous Also Tapered

Did you buy them from an authorized dealer? The ones on eBay from Chinese sources are fake.

Brother_Rael likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.