Car Stereo Recommendations?

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by Lord Hawthorne, May 24, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Lord Hawthorne

Lord Hawthorne Currently Untitled Thread Starter

I'm looking for a car stereo for my old van, it doesn't have to be the latest model, if it looks like something not worth stealing, that's good. Being that I don't want to carry a full library of CDs, MP3 capability (heresy?) would be convenient. One other requirement is a radio that performs well on both AM and FM.

b cathy likes this.
  2. mdm08033

mdm08033 Senior Member

I've been pleased with many suggestions from TheWireCutter.com I've bought a Bluetooth speaker, headphones, cables and pillows, pots, pans, and pillows based on their suggestions.

The Best Bluetooth Car Stereo Receiver »

3. JBStephens

JBStephens I don't "like", "share", "tweet", or CARE. In Memoriam

I'm very pleased with my Kenwood. It will play mp3 CD's and the face is detachable to thwart thieves.

4. jupiterboy

jupiterboy Forum Residue

I like Memphis amps, but they are worth stealing.

5. Rolltide

Rolltide Forum Resident

While I'm glad I fulfilled my childhood dream of purchasing an Alpine head unit from Crutchfield, I wouldn't make that mistake again. Very limited feature set.

martinb4 likes this.
  6. avanti1960

avanti1960 Forum Resident

pioneer is the unchallenged leader in mobile audio head units, tuners and digital front end. what is your bugdet? do you want speakers and amplifiers too?

BayouTiger likes this.
  7. Lord Hawthorne

I bought the van with speakers already installed, I don't know what they are, but probably not anything exciting (it's an '87 Vanagon).

8. Darksyde

Darksyde New Member

Pioneer MVH-X370BT , bluetooth and usb ...Crutchfield ...68.00 bucks

9. Vinyl Addict

Vinyl Addict Forum Resident

Honestly,check out Crutchfield.
    Their prices are a bit higher than others, but they have top notch customer service. They also give you everything you need to install (adapters, harnesses etc).

JimW likes this.
  10. JimW

JimW In the Process of Becoming

Not to mention the step-by-step installation instructions, w/ diagrams, that greatly aid in the install process. These highly detailed instructions are invaluable. I started putting audio in cars back in the days of 8-tracks (mid-70's) and it was not difficult then. But as cars have gotten more complex (and now already have audio systems in them), it's become very difficult to install/add-on car audio systems in many cases. These instructions are esp. valuable when you have to remove door panels, parts of the dash, etc. as they tell you exactly how to do it. They even tell you what tools are needed, including any special tools.

I recommend Crutchfield very highly for car audio products- and not just b/c they are located in my home town.

Vinyl Addict and McLover like this.
  11. avanti1960

avanti1960 Forum Resident

12. Vinyl Addict

Vinyl Addict Forum Resident

Also, what size? Single or double DIN?

13. head_unit

head_unit Senior Member

MP3? No, c'mon, you don't want to be burning MP3 CDs. Please don't inflict that on yourself. Get a Made for iPhone model and make life easier, including streaming from Spotify or Tidal. The AUX input is your friend if you don't have an iPhone, and you can get little basic MP3 players on Amazon from $20.

As for the car radio, well, I'm an Alpine lifer. But neither they nor anyone else has really excellent tuners-it's just not a cost priority, and no brand has excellent tuners (source: my buddy at a large car stereo firm who has tested dozens of models per year for decades now. He says every generation of new radios has performance slightly worse than before). I do actually like HD Radio-the AM response is simply way better, and FM has much less interference. Those of you reading this who are about to complain that your don't like digitized radio and are about to sign the praises of analog, hang on a minute, I'm talking about CAR RADIOS not exotic home tuners with great antennas which can make analog radio sound wonderful.

As for the vendor, yes, Crutchfield without a doubt. I dealt with them in a previous career and they are extremely professional and customer focused.

I'm not sure your budgets and priority, but car stereo has all become much cheaper. I highly urge you to add at least a small power amplifier and most especially a subwoofer. The car is a great place for bass due to the small space (say that 10 times fast!).

How do you feel about the sound of the existing speakers? Aftermarket speakers have gotten pretty inexpensive as well.

14. bobdog

bobdog Forum Resident

avanti1960 likes this.
  15. Lord Hawthorne

Thanks for your input, I'm reading everything.

16. grx8

grx8 Senior Member

I had that stereo in my 2012 Impreza. It sounded great, huge leap from the stock system, even keeping the stock speakers.

I´m planning on buying it again to replace the stock radio from my 2005 BMW 325Ci. I just would like to know if a new model is coming out soon.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.