Shipping 22 lps to Brazil?

Discussion in 'Marketplace Discussions' started by Supafly, May 14, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Supafly

Supafly Forum Resident Thread Starter

So a buyer went crazy and grabbed a bunch of lps on discogs. How can I calculate shipping on this? Almost all of them are 180 grams and i rounded up to around 10 lbs with package. When I went to shipping calculator it didnt seem I could ship that much thru first class shipping. Thanks for any help

2. Combination

Combination Forum Resident

Your weight limit for first class international is about 4 pounds. Priority Mail International is your only option, and it ain't gonna be cheep.

You could do small parcels weighing under 4 pounds each, but I doubt you'd get ahead like that.

3. vinylbuff

vinylbuff Forum Resident

Since I've done this before (just not as many), I did a little research. If you are shipping 22 lps to Brazil, and the majority of them are 180 gram, you are looking at 21 lbs at the very least. I just weighed 22 standard lps on my postal scale and they came in at 15 pounds without packaging. In any case, a package that size has to go priority mail international and you are looking at a minimum of $118 for shipping. Most likely you are looking at a little more than that.

4. Supafly

Supafly Forum Resident Thread Starter

Appreciate everyones input. Now I gotta find a box

5. Vinyl Addict

Vinyl Addict Forum Resident

Daaaaamn $120 for shipping. Hope you charged accordingly!

How DO you pack 22 LPs in a box?

6. bluesbro

bluesbro Forum Hall of Shame

$120 does not sound bad. I've shipped a couple of CDs for $30

7. Vinyl Addict

I had a guy in Italy that was willing to pay $80 to overnight a $40 CD

8. Vinyl Addict

No, it's not bad, as long as he checked the charges before sending the bill to the buyer

9. kwadguy

kwadguy Senior Member

Italy has one of the most "unreliable" mail systems in the first world. I've had multiple customers over the years ask I ship via overnight or via another service that would cost fortune and bypass the Italian post. Mostly I avoid selling to Italy (unfortunate for the honest people there, but too risky because of the post), but sometimes someone will make an offer too good to refuse--and if they're willing to pay through the nose for shipping, I'll do it.

Vinyl Addict likes this.
  10. Romerovm

Romerovm Forum Resident

No reason to spend so much money to mail securely to Italy. Registered mail does the trick for an additional $13-14 bucks.

R. Totale likes this.
  11. R. Totale

R. Totale The Voice of Reason

Yeah, people get all bent out of shape over whether Paypal Buyer Protection covers Registered Mail, and forget that it's the way diamonds and stacks of cash get moved around in the mail system. It's kept under lock and key every step of the way and absolutely tracked. For domestic shipments it's insured up to $36,000 and while insurance for other countries is much less (varies by country) you can always buy third-party insurance.

Romerovm likes this.
  12. Gumboo

Gumboo Forum Resident

The only International Mail that I have lost was a registered package I shipped to Italy.

13. Romerovm

Romerovm Forum Resident

I have been buying/selling CDs and records since early 2000s online, and first time I hear about a Registered item being lost.

14. Gumboo

Gumboo Forum Resident

Yep, once the package leaves the States, USPS has no control.

15. andrew stearns

andrew stearns Well-Known Member

Thats not true priority mail isn't your only option after 4 lbs. If you have the weight and dimensions you can go on the USPS site and calculate price for shipping to Brasil. You will have another option besides Priority. One other thing you will have to worry about though and you might want to let your buyer know is he will probably have to pay some type of customs as Brasil is stricter on what comes in. I've sent packages to Brasil and have received packages in Brasil, I once had to pay 250R in customs fees. "Used Records LPs" can be your friend in description when shipping internationally. Remember your buyer will most def have to pay customs fees also, but Brasil does have free health care for everybody.

16. Gumboo

Gumboo Forum Resident

Andrew, I suggest you go to the USPS site. There you will find that, yes, alternatives do exist for packages over 4 lbs. Much more expensive alternatives.

17. andrew stearns

andrew stearns Well-Known Member

yes, but not priority... it is an option, First class shipping....still with the weight it will cost. First class will be cheaper than priority

18. Gumboo

Gumboo Forum Resident

Indeed, First Class is cheaper and available up to 4 lbs. The OP's package will weigh over 4 lbs.

Copied and pasted from USPS website.

First-Class Package International ServiceĀ®
    Affordable International Service
    An economical way to send small packages to more than 180 countries. Can send mailpieces up to 4 lbs (cannot exceed $400 in value). Restrictions may apply based on country destination. From $9.50 at Post Office locations and online.

Rules & Restrictions
    • Maximum weight is 64 oz
    • Maximum combined length, height, and width is 36 inches (42 inches for rolls/tubes)
    • Some countries have specific prohibitions and restrictions.
    The OP could split the order into First-Class packages each under 4lbs. It would end up costing more than Priority Mail for one package over 4lbs.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.