Any good CD burning software for Windows 10?

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by alchemy, May 26, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. alchemy

alchemy Forum Resident Thread Starter

Just upgraded my laptop to Windows 10. My preferred burning software Burrrn will not work. I still like to make my own compilation CDS to burn for the car. I need a easy to use program to burn the CDS. Media Player is a pain in the ass as I do not make play list with it and don't need the extra steps it requires.

Help!

2. Ham Sandwich

Ham Sandwich Senior Member

CDBurnerXP will work. Despite the XP in the name the software is current and works with Windows 10. And it's free.
    CDBurnerXP web site

The one caution when using CDBurnerXP is that the default installer comes with OpenCandy which adds an option to install toolbars or other junk when you install the software. Be careful during the install and make sure you unselect any additional software offers.

CDBurnerXP does offer an installer that doesn't have OpenCandy bundled in. The installer without OpenCandy is hidden. You have to click through a link on the download page to get to the other installers. On the download page click on the link for "More download options »" and that will take you to a download that doesn't have OpenCandy.

CDBurnerXP works well and handles audio well. It is good for creating audio compilation discs.
    Here's the help page for how to do an audio disc: https://cdburnerxp.se/help/Audio/compileaudio

snowman872, patient_ot and c-eling like this.
  3. noahjld

noahjld Der Wixxer

Burn aware is pretty good.

4. MrRom92

MrRom92 Forum Supermodel

Always liked Nero for this sort of thing. Use EAC for straight cd copies (not compilations)

5. Dr Jackson

Dr Jackson Surgeon of Sound

I like Cirlinca. Still works to make DVD discs from flac files, will do CD also.

6. shaboo

shaboo Forum Resident

Windows 10 is listed here as compatible OS: Burrrn »
    What happens when you try to burn CDs on your Win 10 laptop?

7. alchemy

I took the Windows 10 free upgrade.

Burrrn, which I love, with the win upgrade, says can't read the writer. I can't find it with Burrrn. I checked my cd/DVD burner for an driver updates.
    It is up to date.

Should I reinstall?

With WinburnerXP, it does want to let me burn DAO. It wants to burn with gaps.
    Popup window says I need to change a setting on the burner to burn DAO. Can't find that setting, and have never heard of a default to TAO.

8. c-eling

c-eling They're made of light,We never would have guessed

CDBurner XP Win 10
    My auto only reads CDDA compliant discs only so I use the 'Audio Disc' feature, I drag and drop, it does give an option to add 'time' between tracks, I don't, plus a cd-text option, burn @24x and I'm off :)

9. harby

harby Forum Resident

10. Ham Sandwich

I'm not sure if Burrrn can work with Windows 8 or Windows 10. A google search indicates other people have had problems getting it to work with Windows 8 or Windows 10. I have used Burrrn before, but haven't tried it with Windows 8 or 10.

CDBurnerXP should allow you to burn gapless. And it should default to burning gapless. I don't know what's going on. I suspect that your CD/DVD drive didn't get installed correctly when you upgraded to Windows 10. I'd try using Device Manager to uninstall the CD/DVD drive then using Device Manager to redetect the CD/DVD drive and install the drivers cleanly. And hope that fixes it.

Open up Device Manager
    Expand the branch for DVD/CD-ROM drives
    right-click on your DVD/CD drive and select Uninstall

Then go to the Action menu in Device Manager and select "Scan for hardware changes"
    That will scan for new hardware. It should find your CD drive and install the drivers for it.

Then try running CDBurnerXP again and see if it works.

I've been using CDBurnerXP as my main CD burning program for several years. It works well and I consider it one of the better CD burning applications available now. And it's free.

11. Destroysall

Destroysall Forum Resident

12. shaboo

shaboo Forum Resident

I'd say Exact Audio Copy is even more problematic when it comes to burning CDs using a modern OS. I had problems with this (manually copying ASPI driver wnaspi32.dll, installing Intel's Rapid Storage Technology RAID Drivers ...) even with Windows 7.

tin ears likes this.
  13. Destroysall

Destroysall Forum Resident

I've heard others having such problems. I haven't experienced any issues with it myself, personally. Alternatively, another option would be dBpoweramp. It's $39 for a single license.

14. Ham Sandwich

dBpoweramp does have a CD Writer component that can write audio CDs. However the CD Writer component is now effectively unsupported and doesn't work with the x64 version of dBpoweramp. It's not a good option today, especially with Windows 10 and the move to a x64 version of dBpoweramp.

15. Martyn

Martyn Forum Resident

Another Yes for CDBurnerXP, works dandy.

16. JohnO

JohnO Senior Member

I have nothing against any of the above but they have some complex options and can look complex.
    Ashampoo Burning Studio 2016 (Free) is relatively simple, works well and is fully updated to Win 10. It will rip too. It can be downloaded free right here, but you'll have to give your email address (just click at the bottom "I don't use Facebook..."). That might get you on that site's daily email list, but you can cancel that - or you might keep it.
    Free Ashampoo Burning Studio 2016 (100% discount) - SharewareOnSale »
    (that offer should have expired some time ago but it is still there now - it will expire sometime)
    You will have to register with Ashampoo to get a free serial number(*). It opens with an ad for, usually, their expanded pay version of the program. That version adds additional DVD/Blu-Ray burning features, nothing new or more for CDs.
    (*) they changed it, earlier this free version did not need to be registered.

Last edited: May 27, 2016
    snowman872 likes this.
  17. longdist01

longdist01 Senior Member

Thank you for the information.

18. MrRom92

MrRom92 Forum Supermodel

Are there any other burning programs which compensate for drive offset? EAC is the only one I know of and therefore is the only suitable one for burning copies of discs. Of course it's somewhat ancient and not very full featured.

19. patient_ot

patient_ot Senior Member

I've been using CDBurnerXP on a Windows 10 machine. Have to play with the settings like others said.

20. thermal123

thermal123 Forum Resident

I use cuetools to create a corrected offset file for my burner and then burn with your program of choice and delete the file when done.

21. JohnO

JohnO Senior Member

Now and for three days (our US extended weekend) the site I linked above now gives you a serial number, so you do not have to register with Ashampoo! You still have to give the site your email. It is an OK site. If you start getting their daily email, you can cancel it. The generic free serial number they give you apparently will work to register it for three days only or this weekend only - but who knows with this site, and Ashampoo, they both are either generous sometimes or sloppy in disabling a freebie. If that free serial number stops working to register, you can still register with Ashampoo and get a free serial number for that program, anytime.

Last edited: May 28, 2016
  22. alchemy

Thanks for the heads up on this.

I downloaded it, it works fine burning cds. Also worked great burning .cue files.

Thanks again.

23. JohnO

JohnO Senior Member

You're welcome. I'm glad it works for you.

24. mantis4tons

mantis4tons Forum Resident

I use the CD burner that's built into foobar2000. Easy and fast.

25. PhilBiker

PhilBiker sh.tv member number 666

Sony CD Architect is the best CD writing software I've ever encountered, by a very large margin. Highly recommended!

CD Architect 5.2 Overview »

Probably overkill for what you're doing, but a great piece of software that deserves mention.

snowman872 likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.