Songs You Think Other Artists Could Have Done?

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Benjamin Edge, Apr 16, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Fire by Elvis Presley.

2. Farmer Mike

Farmer Mike Forum Resident

"Lost in You" from Rod Stewart by the Replacements. The lyrics are a little to on the nose for Westerberg, I think, but I they could've knocked out a good version of it.
    "Pure Imagination" from "Willy Wonka" by Echo & the Bunnymen.

Fastnbulbous likes this.
  3. I always thought that Prince would sound good on Sinead O'Conner's "Nothing Compares 2 U."

It sounds like something he could pull off.

vallilalainen likes this.
  4. B. Bu Po

B. Bu Po Senior Member

I always wanted to hear Bryan Ferry sing "Dreidel", the Don McLean song.

Lightworker likes this.
  5. onionmaster

onionmaster Tropical new waver from the future

Iced Earth could have done a great version of Watch Me Bleed by Tears For Fears (especially in The Dark Saga period).

The B-52's could have done a great version of How She Boogalooed It by The Beach Boys. I actually think it would suit them better than it did The Beach Boys.

It's interesting cause Devo's Communication Breakup (found on Pioneers Who Got Scalped) sounds like a direct parody of Ridgway's film-noir narrator style. :) Perhaps Devo could cover say, Stan Ridgway's Piledriver in return.

Although I couldn't imagine it as a studio cover (it's a bit too hard rocking), I could conceivably imagine them having done it as a live cover. They did a version of ZZ Top's Heard It On The X with Arik Marshall and they appeared to be enjoying it.

6. Moshe

Moshe "Silent in four languages."

Tom Jones doing The Look Of Love by ABC

7. Moshe

Moshe "Silent in four languages."

Martin Fry of ABC and Tony Hadley of Spandeau Ballet could do each other's repertoire. imo.

8. Monosterio

Monosterio Forum Resident

I was just listening to Billy Joel's "Zanzibar" (because of Ali), and the whole time I was thinking how much it sounds like Aja-era Steely Dan. :)

Moshe likes this.
  9. Picca

Picca Forum Resident

Tom Petty - Dont fear the reaper
    Warren Zevon - Southern accent (by Petty)
    Lynyrd Skynyrd - Play it all night long (by Zevon)

Brian Doherty likes this.
  10. DamnDirtyApe

DamnDirtyApe Forum Resident

I was just thinking Axel Rose would be a great for some AC/DC songs... wait wut?. oh nevermind...

11. andy749

andy749 Senior Member

Alice Cooper - "Welcome To the Jungle" (Guns n Roses)
    Britney Spears or Jessica Simpson - "I Touch Myself" (Divinyls) :)
    Dwight Yoakum - "What Goes On" (Beatles)

12. Fastnbulbous

Fastnbulbous Doubleplus Ungood

Morgan Freeman narrating the version of "EMI" that appears on The Great Rock 'n' Roll Swindle.

13. GodBlessTinyTim

GodBlessTinyTim Forum Resident

I wish Patsy Cline had been able to record "Blue", which was written by Bill Mack in 1958.

At least LeAnn Rimes put a lot of Cline's spirit into her monstrously successful 1996 version.

LeAnn Rimes - Blue

Lightworker likes this.
  14. pig bodine

pig bodine God’s Consolation Prize

I would have loved to hear Vanilla Fudge tackle this

And Klaus Nomi would have done a great "You're a Mean One, Mr. Grinch."

15. Lightworker

Lightworker Forum Resident

Toots & The Maytals - Grandma Got Run Over By A Reindeer

andy749 likes this.
  16. GodBlessTinyTim

GodBlessTinyTim Forum Resident

For some reason I've always thought "Your Smiling Face" by James Taylor would have been a good fit for The Jackson 5.

"I Fought the Law" was first recorded by The Crickets a couple years after Buddy Holly's death. It almost gives me goosebumps imagining if Buddy Holly had a chance to sing it.

GLENN, Lightworker and Chris DeVoe like this.
  17. Lightworker

Or if Roky Erickson had tried it out in a live Thirteenth Floor Elevators set circa 1966.

18. Chris DeVoe

Chris DeVoe RIP Vickie Mapes Williams (aka Equipoise)

That is sheer genius! Right now, in my mind's eye, I'm seeing the Jackson Five on the set of Soul Train, doing a whole routine to that song, with Michael singing "When you give me that pretty little pout, it turns me inside out" and doing a spin on his heels, while his brothers sing "do dede-do-do"...

Thanks for making my day.

zebop and GLENN like this.
  19. andy749

andy749 Senior Member

Tiny Tim doing all the Bee Gees early hits.

Lightworker likes this.
  20. Lightworker

Tiny Tim did right by "Stairway To Heaven"...I would have loved to hear him (or Alex Chilton) cover "I Started A Joke".

21. andy749

andy749 Senior Member

That's one I had in mind :) "Words" was another.

This could have been one of those albums sold on tv. "Now for the first time ever hear the great voice of Tiny Tim singing the classic songs of the immortal Bee Gees...available on two 8-track tapes or double record album". This would've sold much more than Richard Clayderman.

Lightworker likes this.
  22. Lightworker

"...loved by countless millions!"

23. Eska68

Eska68 Forum Resident

The Beach Boys' "Please Let Me Wonder" by Agnetha Fältskog and Frida Lyngstad (ABBA)
    McCartney's "Figure Of Eight" by Tina Turner

24. GLENN

GLENN Forum Resident

I always thought Split Enz's "What's The Matter With You" would have made a great Wings track.

25. GLENN

GLENN Forum Resident

I may have mentioned this one before, but I always thought Pet Shop Boys should do Rosanne Cash's "Seven Year Ache" complete with their usual synths and dance beats. The lyrics would be perfect for Neil Tennant's wry delivery: "The boys say when is he gonna give us some room but the girls say God, I hope he comes back soon."

Philip Glass should write a string arrangement of Chicago's "Colour My World" since it already sounds like one of his pieces anyway.

Finally, I'd love to hear Pink Floyd's "Money" as sung by the early 70's Temptations with a "Papa Was A Rolling Stone" style arrangement and production.

zebop likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.