HMV 'Loves Vinyl' Exclusives... UK Stores

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by yarvelling, Jun 20, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. yarvelling

yarvelling Forum Resident Thread Starter

Hi, haven't seen another thread about this....
    HMV music shops have announced very limited exclusive vinyl releases for today, 20 June 2015:
    http://www.hmv.com/music/hmv-loves-vinyl

Been in to my local sore today in Suffolk and found that they actually had some!! :D So I picked up the first two Black Sabbath albums - Sabbath is orange transparent, and Paranoid is light blue. Both only £16.99, and well packaged in replica sleeves, with pretty authentic looking Vertigo swirl style labels (missing the 'Vertigo' wording of course). Paranoid even recreates the original first and 'error' sleeve that was soon after replaced due to mis-crediting of 'Big Bear' on the management credits.....
    Both records are perfectly flat,and sound very clean.... within limitations of the original recordings, but with no extra nasty noises from manufacture. I believe, from the matrix numbers that these come from Optimal in Germany, and are up to their normal high standards! :)
    Great to see HMV really embracing this medium, even though they are now starting to sell the Crosley abominations in their stores too...
    Anyone else got any nice scores from today's promotion?
    I've seen a few opportunistic idiots on Ebay are already at it.... while they're on sale in the shops, they're asking for bids starting at 3 times the retail price!! Jeez.....

AJK74 likes this.
  2. The Lew

The Lew Senior Member

It's getting better at HMV

AJK74 and yarvelling like this.
  3. stem

stem Forum Resident

All very well if you have an HMV anywhere near you.
    There used to be 4 in relatively easy reach for me. All closed down now.

4. dtuck90

dtuck90 Forum Resident

I'd totally forgotten it was today otherwise I would have tried to get Morrissey - Viva Hate on gold vinyl. Only 500 copies pressed so by the time I remembered it was pointless making the 45 minute train journey

5. The Lew

The Lew Senior Member

Indeed mate

6. jimod99

jimod99 Daddy or chips?

7. yarvelling

yarvelling Forum Resident Thread Starter

Cheers... hadn't seen that thread.... ;)
    However, good to see that they're making a real effort...these exclusives are bound to become collector's items in the near future, and are (from what I've seen) top quality pressings!
    Sorry to those that no longer have an HMV near to you...very unfortunate - blame the 2008 recession..... fortunately though, through the new management etc. they seem to be one of our strongest high-street retailers, and are embracing vinyl in a big way (except for those Crosley things...;) ), which is great to see.... and they obviously have a fair bit of industry clout to be able to pull off this type of limited run exclusive with one of the best pressing plants in existence today :)

LivingForever, AJK74 and glamorbowie1 like this.
  8. jimod99

jimod99 Daddy or chips?

I was home in Scotland this weekend and picked up the red vinyl Blade Runner soundtrack, saw a few people buying albums today.

I have noticed the lat couple of times that I have been home that in my local store, which escaped the cull when HMV went into difficulties, not only do they now have a vinyl section, they also gave increased their cd dept and have a better selection than they did 2 or 3 years ago.

LivingForever and AJK74 like this.
  9. glamorbowie1

glamorbowie1 Forum Resident

Have a look at this page - very good news...

http://www.forums.stevehoffman.tv/threads/vinyl-hunter-comes-to-bury-st-edmunds-suffolk-uk.444853/

10. R E Faust

R E Faust Forum Resident

Don't forget that FOPP is part of the HMV empire. I picked up the clear vinyl of Paul Simon's 'Graceland' and blue vinyl of Joni Mitchells 'Blue' in their Covent Garden store this week. They were limited to one per customer.

R E

11. AJK74

AJK74 Forum Resident

I have been really impressed with the way HMV has been improving over the last year or so. It's a shame that some of the stores had to close but the remaining ones have really upped their game - good selection, good prices. Apparently vinyl now accounts for 10% of their sales! Anyway, I got these beauties at the HMVlovesvinyl sale last weekend:

[​IMG]

I also got Beck's last LP and Led Zep IV for under a tenner each and The Stone Roses debut for under eight quid. Excellent prices and they will make good gifts for people who I am trying to get into vinyl.

One other thing - HMV also have less grumpy and less snobbish staff than my local independent record shop so I am more inclined to favour them now. Retailers take note!

P.S. FoPP is also very good when I get the chance to visit one...

Last edited: Jun 27, 2015
    EddieT and LivingForever like this.
  12. Classicrock

Classicrock Senior Member

It's nice to know HMV have improved but these coloured vinyl editions strike me as a bit of a gimmick. I mostly find coloured discs have noisier surfaces than black vinyl. No reason to not use the Vertigo label if the BS are official Universal releases.

13. irwin69

irwin69 Forum Resident

I assume these new Blade Runners which I have noticed around in a number of shops are not the Kevin Gray masterings which he did for Audio Fidelity

http://snvinyl.co.uk/epages/eshop943300.sf/en_GB/?ObjectID=22982245&ViewAction=ViewProduct

14. Jgirar01

Jgirar01 Forum Resident

I just bought a colored red and blue American Beauty Grateful Dead lp from HMV online in the States. Don't like the colored vinyl gimmick but couldn't pass up this one. Hope it sounds good but not counting on it!

15. jimod99

jimod99 Daddy or chips?

The Blade Runner soundtrack is an excellent pressing and perfectly quiet.

It is on EastWest which I think is part of Warners.

Marshall66hendrix, AJK74 and kendo like this.
  16. FangfossFlyer

FangfossFlyer Forum Resident

I also heard that HMV is enhancing their vinyl on line mail order as well in competitoon to Amazon. Could be good.

Richard

AJK74 likes this.
  17. johnnybrum

johnnybrum Forum Resident

I got an email today about 2016 hmv vinyl week

hmv vinyl week: first exclusive titles revealed

Heads-up vinyl lovers! hmv vinyl week is fast approaching and we'll have great discounts on loads of vinyl albums from Monday 13 June, just in time for Father's Day.

But that's not all - we will also have an amazing selection of hmv exclusive limited editions, including coloured vinyl, plus you can get your hands on selected vinyl reissues weeks before they're available anywhere else!

The limited edition exclusives will be available in all stores on Saturday 18 June on a first-come first-served basis (while stocks last) and today we can reveal the first titles included in our vinyl line-up.

hmv vinyl week exclusive limited edition titles include:

Manic Street Preachers - Everything Must Go (1000 copies on blue vinyl)

Deep Purple - In Rock (1000 copies on marbled vinyl)

John Martyn - Solid Air (500 copies on green vinyl)

The Sun Records Collection (1000 copies on black vinyl)
    [I think they mean yellow vinyl....]

18. Halfwit

Halfwit Forum Resident

I don't think they used the word Vinyl nearly enough in that Email.

19. culabula

culabula Unread author.

And that's finyl.

20. Squiggsy68

Squiggsy68 Forum Resident

Hmm. I don't have 'Everything Must Go' in that format. I might vinylly be able to get a copy ;).

21. Robert C

Robert C Forum Resident

COLOURED. :pineapple: LIMITED. :yikes: SELECTED. :goodie:

:unhunh:

Frederick Mars likes this.
  22. MoonPanda

MoonPanda Forum Resident

Wonder what mastering the Manics disc is? Surely it's not the 20th, as that JUST got released in the box set and is currently exclusive to the box.

If it is the 20th, that would be an awesome buy for folks waiting for a stand alone vinyl of the new mastering...

23. culabula

culabula Unread author.

Heads up in the meantime...

I just walked into HMV to check that we were definitely getting this in June. While browsing, I came across the triple LP "The Beatles Mono Masters" in the racks at 14.99. Don't know if it was a mistake or what, but the system put it through at that price and nobody batted an eyelid or protested when I enquired.

Don't know if it's peculiar to our store or across the board, but those of you who are Beatles fans and are in GB would be well-advised to check it out.

24. JP Christian

JP Christian Forum Resident

If I didn't already own it, I'd be in there like a shot for Mono Masters at £15!

ODShowtime likes this.
  25. culabula

culabula Unread author.

I do own it and had no problem buying another sealed copy for 15 quid ! Wow!

ODShowtime and JP Christian like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.