Speakers. Jumper wires instead of supplied plates. Any sonic benefits?

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by DrZhivago, May 27, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. DrZhivago

DrZhivago Hedonist Thread Starter

I recently upgraded to new amp that has only one set of speaker terminals. Prior to this upgrade, I run bi-wire connection to my BW CM 10’s S2 with two runs of Kimber 4TC wire.

Dropping one run of the cable, I re-installed the supplied jumper plates and currently run with the single set of wires.

A few days ago I started thinking of replacing the supplied jumper plates with small runs of 4tc cable.

This because I did experience the sonic improvement of bi-wire connection with my previous setup.

Reading the "Internet", there seems to be no consensus on sonic benefits of this change. More so, this looks like a very controversial and extremely polarising debate.

Any thoughts or experiences from fellow forum members would be greatly appreciated.

P.S Please post only if you experimented/tested or expirienced the change (or lack of it).

Regards

Last edited: May 27, 2016
  2. missan

missan Forum Resident

There certainly should be a consensus on this.

3. F1nut

F1nut Forum Resident

There is rarely a consensus concerning anything audio related.

That said, it's been my personal experience that replacing those junk jumper plates with high quality speaker cable jumpers does result in better sound.

4. Vorlon

Vorlon Forum Resident

I've heard some of the jumper plates (and spades) have another material between the gold and the copper, hence being electrically polluted. So I like to use wires directly.

5. frimleygreener

frimleygreener "It 'a'int why...it just is"

I use Chord interconnects and cables throughout my system...I figured that another couple of inches introduced to replace the factory supplied jumper plates would not hinder things in any way.

Wasatch likes this.
  6. DrZhivago

DrZhivago Hedonist Thread Starter

Thanks for your replies. I will do the swap and then do some A/B testing. Will report back.

Regards

7. missan

missan Forum Resident

As we perceive things differently differently, sounds can and do effect our likings differently. That one maybe could hope for, is that things that are the same, could be perceived as the same.

8. jupiterboy

jupiterboy Forum Residue

I had a dedicated set of jumpers for a moment. Tweets don't need as much wire weight, and I noticed that the manufacturer used their IC wire instead of speaker wire for the jumpers. I traded that all in for separate runs even though they were from the same tap. Why not run bi-wire from the same tap and see how that sounds.

9. Wes_in_va

Wes_in_va Trying to live up to my dog’s expectations

I replaced the plates on my B&W Matrix 803 II's with jumpers made from Canare Star Quad and I feel that it helped the sound.
    YMMV

DrZhivago likes this.
  10. Robert C

Robert C Forum Resident

Looking forward to reading your findings. I subjectively couldn't hear a difference.

DrZhivago likes this.
  11. Wasatch

Wasatch Music Lover!

I use jumper cables (SR) and I think they do improve sound/connection.

12. timind

timind phorum rezident

Why not simply connect both runs of 4TC to the same terminal on your amp and continue to run biwire. Unless your previous amp had a speaker selector switch, I'd bet the terminals were tied together internally.

13. wwaldmanfan

wwaldmanfan Born In The 50's

What timind said.

MonkeyMan likes this.
  14. Lester Best

Lester Best Well-Known Member

Fortunately, my Salk HT-2 TL came with Cardas binding posts & jumpers.

15. John R Leddy

John R Leddy Active Member

I'm guessing external jumpers would only have to be as effective as the material utilised internally if the loudspeakers were supplied with a single pair of connectors.

That said, I've experimented with a few types of jumper but came to the conclusion I was being a bit silly, if not a little pretentious if the truth be told, and simply re-installed the OEM jumpers.

If there is a difference, I've never been able to appreciate it.

16. quicksilverbudie

quicksilverbudie quicksilverbudie

Jumper wires replaced supplied plates on my ML Aerius the difference was an improvement as the woofer/panel seem to be better voiced/incorporated/seamless presentation acting as one...you get the idea.

sean

17. TheVU

TheVU Forum Resident

I found that this adjustment on my speakers did help a bit. That plate can be made if very cheap material. While it isn't life changing, it was better for the top end.

However, swapping the pre-in/pre-out jumper in my old Sansui eight, with high quality custom jumpers, was even better.

quicksilverbudie likes this.
  18. Catcher10

Catcher10 I like records, and Prog...duh

I replaced the thin metal plates on my Epos and use Morrow Audio jumpers and I experienced better definition. Everything just seemed to pull together nicely, it was not a huge investment, looks good and chicks dig it......

2channelforever and timind like this.
  19. Schwinnparamount

Schwinnparamount Forum Resident

20. 62caddy

62caddy Forum Resident

If you spend much time in these parts, you will soon find that only external wiring, connections and so forth have an effect on sound quality. Unlike internal wiring that never makes a difference so we need not worry about that...

Hope that makes everything clear. But by all means, do whatever makes you happy. :)

21. Encore

Encore Forum Resident

I replaced the generic piece of solder-like metal on a previous set of Audio Note J's with Audience 24 connectors. Big improvement!

22. sotosound

sotosound Forum Resident

I replaced the factory-fitted tinned copper jumper leads on my old Monitor Audio GR60s with short stretches of my main speaker cable, Atlas Hyper 3.0, and WOW what an improvement.

For the sake of a few pennies, give it a go and answer your own question.

If there's no improvement then put the jumper plates back in place.

23. lonelysea

lonelysea Ban Leaf Blowers

Call me crazy but I even noticed a difference between two brands of jumper cables (and ended up trading my Nordost jumpers for Transparent)!

24. Must be something in the water up here in the PNW, but yeah, I really noticed the chicks going for my jumpers too - they even look at me different when I walk down the street now.

Seriously though, the generic brass plates don't work for me - I use the reverse "cross", red to tweeter, black to woofer & it sounds better or best of all for me is regular commercial speaker wire jumpers with good spades.

25. Same for me - different brands of commercial jumpers sound different to me too.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.