A List of blu-rays retroactively color timed toward teal (and adjusting your TV to watch them)

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by Hutch, May 20, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Vidiot

Vidiot Now in 4K HDR!

I'll go to the mat arguing those issues with clients. That doesn't fly with me, either.

Hutch likes this.
  2. Hutch

Hutch Forum Resident Thread Starter

You're hired.

Vidiot likes this.
  3. Someone has the impression that this makes the films look more "modern".

4. Myke

Myke Trying Not To Spook The Horse

I've been buying a LOT of Blu rays this month, and while I know this is a very real problem, I've apparently been buying much older films, that no one has futzed with !?!?
    Also, the Criterions, Twilight Times, and Warner Archive titles haven't suffered either...least not the titles I buy.

5. Hutch

Not sure about these, Myke. Many titles lately in these line ups have been tampered with. To be sure many have not, but more than should have been.

6. Myke

7. Myke

And I'm not disputing that, I was just thinking out loud I guess, how my " old curmudgeon " tastes once more save me from annoyances in this life.
    Looking at that screenshot of my collection, set by Recently Added, and only one page, you can almost tell my physical age by my taste ! :laugh:

Shoot when you see the Teal of their eyes won't work for me ! :cussing:

Hutch likes this.
  8. I haven't seen a single Twilight Tome release that appears to be tampered with as these are such cult items that the studio doesn't make the effort.

9. Michael

Michael I LOVE WIDE S-T-E-R-E-O!

and at the prices they charge they better not be...that Journey To The Center Of The Earth fiasco sucked though...o' yea we found a better master!

10. Myke

11. Oatsdad

Oatsdad Oat, Biscuits, Abbie & Mitzi: Best Dogs Ever

I dunno - I think an orange and teal "Schindler's List" would be awesome! :laugh:

wayneklein likes this.
  12. Vidiot

Vidiot Now in 4K HDR!

I guarantee you, Dr. Strangelove will never be orange & teal.

Agent57, Hutch, BGLeduc and 2 others like this.
  13. That's for the reissue. Fox licensed a new 4K scan of the original negative. The previous version was not from the same source but was from an inferior source.

Last edited: May 22, 2016
  14. Myke

I know it's the second release...so he's still complaining over the first one ? Jesus, move on.

wayneklein likes this.
  15. Hutch

Holy cow. Criterion's release of Fantastic Planet. Can anyone speak to how the film looked in it's original run? Anyone with the British blu ray release wanna chime in about comparisons? I find it hard to believe the original was THIS cyan leaning:

Fantastic Planet Blu-ray - Jennifer Drake »

16. Hutch

Apparently Criterion's release looks better in motion but the screen grabs are identical to the original blu ray release. Which is fine. No Teal leaning.
    Dr. Strangelove Blu-ray - Peter Sellers »

17. Hutch

Is that a remake of Ford's Stagecoach? If so I didn't know one existed.

Myke likes this.
  18. Hutch

I may be mis-remembering about TT. I don't think so but it's possible. The tampering is def true about many Criterion releases as of late though. Unfortunately.

19. PlushFieldHarpy

PlushFieldHarpy Forum Resident

Whoa, that's crazy. Looks like they colorized it. That's actually pretty disgusting.

20. Oatsdad

Oatsdad Oat, Biscuits, Abbie & Mitzi: Best Dogs Ever

Apparently there have been 2 formal remakes of "Stagecoach": the 1986 TV movie cited above and this 1966 cinematic release:

[​IMG]

Hutch likes this.
  21. Hutch

I know it's just animation, and I never saw an original run of the movie but my conclusion is that Criterion fudged the color timing based on the fact that human characters now have teal eyes and blue tinted skin. Why, Criterion? :thumbsdow This is a prime example why Criterion is no longer a "day one purchase" or "blind buy" company for me anymore.

EDIT: The Eureka Blu ray looks better. There's no side by side of the 2 blus yet, but there is way less blu tint to the humans on the Eureka print:
    La Planète Sauvage Blu-ray »

22. Hutch

I'm glad I held out for a review. I sprung for the UK release.

23. Myke

In addition to what Colin has said while I was sleeping, the big draw there is the cast being The Highwaymen.

Hutch likes this.
  24. I think you are. I've got over 20 TT releases and none of them have that look. Given that it was established by two film critics, I kind of doubt it (it is possible). The biggest issue with some of their releases is the lack of restoration from the companies that they license them from (not their fault).

Waiting for my bonus check to pick up "Cutter's Way" and a couple of other titles so I haven't seen that but by all reports it looks fine.

25. Vidiot

Vidiot Now in 4K HDR!

What's pretty typical for new transfers of old movies is the studio takes the most recent version approved by the director (or whoever last had creative control) and then has the mastering engineer match the color to that. In the case of a B&W film, there's still some attempt to even out the contrast and fix any reasonable photographic issues that were not part of the original film's creative intent, like a rip, a tear, a giant blob of dirt, a light stand in the picture, or something like that.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.