The Grateful Thread

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by JRM, Apr 11, 2014.

1. Rne

Rne weltschmerz

The night after the acclaimed 1967 show selected for the anniversary box.

LUNACHUCK and US Blues like this.
  2. pbuzby

pbuzby Senior Member

FWIW, I recall reading that it was Townshend rather than Daltrey who asked Garcia about the Dead's ability to do different sets each night. Sadly, the source didn't know how Garcia answered.

LUNACHUCK and wavethatflag like this.
  3. Rne

Rne weltschmerz

[​IMG]
    Newcastle, 4/11/72:
    Truckin' >
    Drums >
    The Other One >
    Comes A Time
    Sugar Magnolia
    Brokedown Palace
    One More Saturday Night

LUNACHUCK, JayB, wavethatflag and 4 others like this.
  4. wavethatflag

wavethatflag God is love, but get it in writing.

I can't remember the source, but I read that Daltry marveled at the fact offstage watching the Dead. It wasn't a question put to Jerry. Maybe I'll dig around the internet later and see if I can find who said what.

Is it in the 33 liner notes by any chance? I'd need to dig out my CDs...

LUNACHUCK likes this.
  5. Rne

Rne weltschmerz

Justin Kreutzmann says:

6. US Blues

US Blues Undermining Consensus Reality

In tape trading days those two shows circulated as a pair of tapes. I know I got them as a "set" and I always passed them along that way. If there are multitracks of the 11th I hope they see a proper release- sooner rather than later. Hey, wait a second, the next Dave's Picks has not been announced yet...

7. Stone Turntable

Stone Turntable Independent Head

Europe ’72: The Complete Recordings, show #8, Rheinhalle, Düsseldorf April 24, 1972

Disc 3 is a real E-ticket rollercoaster ride: Dark Star > Me and My Uncle > Dark Star > Wharf Rat > Sugar Magnolia

It’s all amazing but the high point may be “Me and My Uncle,” possibly the best version I’ve ever heard, red-hot carnival jukebox cowboy rock.

[​IMG]

“Let us now praise Keith Godchaux.” — that’s how Blair Jackson’s liner notes begin, and on this night Keith really was on fire.

8. Rne

Rne weltschmerz

That "Dark Star" has overdubbed vocals (you can hear the phantom of the original vocal track in the background), so I guess the band considered it for the live release. Outstanding performance, which was almost the standard during that tour.

9. budwhite

budwhite Climb the mountains and get their good tidings.

Look at the picture ca 2.30 in the video, Phil talks about where they are but they are not sure. The red car is a Volvo Duett so I would say Denmark since it's close to Sweden but I did send the pic to my friends for further identification. The licence plates of the Beetle and Duett differs so that's a good thing to go by. I'll get back when I know.

[​IMG]
    Ah what a car. Cheap and realiable, my grandparents bought a new modell in the 50s. My friend had one when we were younger(fun times). There's not many of them left. A total classic in my neck of the woods(I posted a pic last year of my Volvo Amazon, the modell that came after the Duett)

Last edited: May 27, 2016
  10. warewolf95

warewolf95 Forum Resident

10/20/90 - Berlin

Tonight the boys are still packing that awesome energy from the previous shows, but they seem less focused and more rough/unsure tonight. Like, instead of focused energy, they are on a sugar rush tonight. :)

Most of set one is very good and just fine, but not much rises above that. Friend Of The Devil is EXCEPTIONAL tonight however. Truly a highlight if there ever was one!

Billy_Sunday and LUNACHUCK like this.
  11. US Blues

An early SUV if ever there was one! Thanks for posting.

12. warewolf95

warewolf95 Forum Resident

10/20/90 - Berlin

I spoke way too soon about set one. The first few songs are rough-ish, but from the exceptional FOTD onwards, this is one of the best first sets I've heard in a while.

The end of it is AWESOME. Let It Grow is 15 minutes into a SOLO Hornsby piano jam that is just beautiful! This then goes into Box Of Rain before finally closing out with OMSN.

Seriously though, everyone should hear this FOTD and the LIG>Hornsby solo. Simply awesome.

13. Archtop

Archtop Soft Dead Crimson Cow

After close to a year of deliberation, I arrived at the conclusion that the best Playin' jam of the tour is from this show. It's odd because it's the slowest tempo of the tour and the jam begins with no real indication of what it would become except for Keith's asymmetrical cascades just as the theme moves toward free form. Things build slowly and shortly after the 5:20 mark, Jerry launches.

14. budwhite

Yep, and it kinda looks like a handymans car but was actually a family car, hence the early SUV conclusion. And I saw one in California once . Surfers.
    Volvo made the damn car from 53-69. I know you all seen a 240 model, that's the main "single mom with a kid" car in american movies from the 80s til today. Made from early 70s until '92

Anyways, moving one with the July(Chuck) box '78 and St Paul the third. Scarlet Begonias now. All hail Betty, warm and big sound. And what a great live mix

LUNACHUCK, US Blues and wavethatflag like this.
  15. budwhite

I wonder why they played it that slow.

LUNACHUCK likes this.
  16. Archtop

There's another show on the tour that's just a 1/2-tick faster, but most versions are at least a couple of ticks faster.

LUNACHUCK likes this.
  17. notesofachord

notesofachord Riding down the river in an old canoe

I listened to "That's it for The Other One" on the way to work today. It sure got me charged up and ready to go!

Oh, it was the March 2, 1969 version from the Fillmore West 1969 3CD set, btw.

[​IMG]

18. Dahabenzapple

Dahabenzapple Forum Resident

Played the same performance tonight. Very strong reprise. Comparable for me to 2/13/70

19. notesofachord

notesofachord Riding down the river in an old canoe

Jamming to a comp tonight: Disc 2 of 30 Trips Around the Sun: The Definitive Live Story 1965 - 1995.

This "Franklin's Tower" from Lindley Meadows, SF, September '75 is groovin' away quite nicely.
    :bdance:

20. Archtop

That is a strong Franklin's Tower; unfortunately, the full release is much more sloppy than the 8/13/75 vault release, particularly Stronger Than Dirt/Turkey, which is among my most-preferred tracks to hear.

Crispy Rob, LUNACHUCK and US Blues like this.
  21. WiseJake237

WiseJake237 Forum Resident

I remember having read something like this before, but I for some reason I thought Pete said that The Who had been playing the same set "since 1971" (or something to that effect). In any case, he was obviously exaggerating, because even if The Who didn't vary their setlists that much night to night (and still don't), they still changed them a lot from tour to tour, and their setlists were almost always flexible to some degree. Not at the level of the Dead's setlists, but I still consider Pete's statement to be somewhat hyperbolic and typical of his extremely self-effacing nature.

LUNACHUCK, Rne and US Blues like this.
  22. US Blues

The Who, like many other bands, got caught in the notion that they had to play their newest album on tour. With the Who in particular, that meant performing Tommy or Quadrophenia. In time they played just highlights, and yet they put themselves in a box, with the help of their record companies, because of how they conceived of their performances.

Which is not to say that seeing the Who perform either of their rock operas would have been a drag!

LUNACHUCK and budwhite like this.
  23. pbuzby

pbuzby Senior Member

If I recall right, the Compendium reviewer was at both of the Oakland 76 shows and wrote that the Who did everything the same both days, including the jokes between songs.

LUNACHUCK likes this.
  24. Archtop

As a second installment in replies to this particular post, the first 1:30 of Dark Star after the stellar Uncle is among the most sublimely beautiful playing they ever did. Tying this into the whole show vs comp discussion, this is how I judge value. That 1:30 literally justifies the price of admission. I don't care if there's nothing else worth listening to if I get something like that.

Meanwhile, I'm listening to the Dark Star from DP #4; one of those tracks I never listen to because I've listened to it so much. Turns out I've not played it in over a year or so. Rectifying that right now, and we're building to Groovy...

Come to think of it, I haven't listened to that 4/24/72 DS--> Uncle--> DS in quite some time either. It may be a 25 versions of Dark Star Saturday.

Last edited: May 28, 2016
  25. US Blues

I'd like to request a full report of your findings. :D