The Lynyrd Skynyrd Album by Album Thread (Part 2)

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by hodgo, Jan 30, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Matthew Tate

Matthew Tate Forum Resident

i haven't read the booklet yet but why did a song from several years before street survivors get used on the album? clearly the band enough material written

2. Myke

Myke Trying Not To Spook The Horse

Ed's wife Sharon just posted this on Facebook :

[​IMG]

3. reb

reb Money Beats Soul

AXS TV

[​IMG]

Todd W., Hutch and clhboa like this.
  4. I just got this in the mail today! Waiting until my finals are done to crack open some brew and indulge.

5. Myke

Listening to playback...Nuthin' Fancy sessions...January, 1975 :

[​IMG]

Exile On My Street and Hutch like this.
  6. Myke

Another from Ed's personal collection ( note stage manager Joe Barnes off to the left )

[​IMG]

Dave Hoos likes this.
  7. Myke

I can now honestly recommend this DVD :

[​IMG]

Hutch likes this.
  8. Huntigula

Huntigula Idiot Savant

I'm extremely late to this party, but I would be remiss if I didn't jump in on this, because Skynyrd is one of those groups that I was raised on. As a matter of fact, because of my late father's love for that band, I can no longer listen to one of their best songs in Simple Man, as that was the song he wanted played at his funeral. He got his wish in March of 2014.

LS has a very distinct sound that I always loved, and there was no mistaking that signature sound. And this band came out swinging; their debut is often overlooked, and rarely is it listed on any of those Greatest Debut lists, as it should be up there with the likes of Boston, GNR, and The Cars. They never strayed from their path, and that made them even better. They never had their "Sgt. Pepper" or "Metal Machine Music". And that made me respect them even more for that. So if I may, I'd like to offer up a few of my thoughts on the classic LS albums. Note: that is not to say I don't care for any of the albums post crash, as there are a few select tracks, like Smokestack Lightning, that I did enjoy, but those 70's albums are a force to be reckoned with!

Pronounced...
    As I stated earlier, this is one of the great debuts of all time. I find the opening track, "I Ain't the One", as a signature Skynyrd song. You have all the elements here, great guitar work, a killer riff, Ronnie's vocals that go from a growl to that smooth croon. Not to mention the first sound out of RVZ'S mouth is his signature whistle (and the back story on that whistle is amazing! When us boys heard that whistle from Dad while we played hockey, we knew it was dinner time). This album also featured Simple Man, a great song no matter what album it would have been on, and the epic Free Bird which, outside of HAVING to play it when it came up on the playlist at work, has not been played voluntarily by me in years. They came right out of the gate firing on all cylinders. I would definitely steer a new Skynyrd listener in this direction if they wanted to know where to start. Of course, as I mentioned earlier, Simple Man will never be heard by me again if I can help it.

Second Helping
    These fellows sure didn't slow down or let up. Containing their biggest hit in Sweet Home Alabama, it is the album tracks here that kept me interested. Workin' For MCA, Don't Ask Me No Questions, Call Me the Breeze, Swamp Music...there really should be a Classic Albums show dedicated to this one. This was the first Skynyrd I owned, on cassette, purchased at eight years old, in 1993. And I still have it! I still think WFMCA would have been a better album opener, but it seems they did just that in many concerts. Like Free Bird, SHA has also been relegated to retirement from the iPod and disc changer.

Nuthin' Fancy
    Welcome to the fold, Artimus! Definitely prefer his drum style to Bob Burns, and Burns himself is no slouch. The beauty of LS, is I've always been able to find at least two songs per album to enjoy. The material isn't as strong here as on the first two, but Saturday Night Special and On the Hunt are just as good as anything found on the first two. This was the last original-group album I purchased when I upgraded to CD. While I can't say I dislike it, it definitely ranks last of my favorite albums of the original run, which it seems most have Bullets as theirs. Speaking of...

Gimme Back My Bullets
    Post Ed King and pre Steve Gaines, and the loss of King is noticed. Not only noticeable in the guitar department, but in songwriting as well. The two song rule applies here as well, as I love the title track and THIS version of All I Can Do Is Write About It, not the one found on the (ridiculously many) compilations/best-of's. It's also one of my favorites to play on my acoustic on a warm summer night (judging by our weather here, I'm doubting that will be happening soon...Double Trouble is also a standout album track. But even four albums in, and after the loss of a key member, they still weren't slowing down. I maintain that when it comes to this group, their worst albums is better than most other bands' better efforts. This one ranks slightly higher than NF, if only for AICDIWAI, a great album closer as well as a beautiful song.

One More From the Road.
    Not generally a fan of live albums, this one was released in a year of the live album. And the recording smokes pretty much every other live album from that year. I discovered they I do own an original vinyl with the insert and everything, all intact and looking well (even the records themselves look like this wasn't spun often). When an uncle passed in 2006, I was given his record collection, and this was among them. The man took care of his records! I digress...this album sounds great, and I love Artie's drum sound here. The band was tight and in good form. And as far as I'm concerned, the recording/mixing is top notch. Had I been exposed to more live albums that sounded as good with a band that gave a damn near perfect performance on stage, I might like them more. And that cover of Crossroads was excellent! I may put this one on a little bit later.

Street Survivors
    Steve Gaines' album debut with L . I will go on record as saying this is my favorite Skynyrd album. I have no problem with and have not tired of What's Your Name. Between that one, That Smell (probably favorite or second favorite song by them), I Know a Little and You Got That Right, it's a damn shame that this isn't only the only album with this line up, but that there never got to be a second effort. I hope nobody takes this statement wrong, but man... what a way to go out...on top. For Father's Day years back, I tracked down and gave to dad a promotional copy of the flame cover. Even before he passed it somehow disappeared from his collection, and that pissed me off, because I inherited his record collection as well, and would have been proud to have owned that, as I'm a collector as well, and unless I found myself in a threatening financial situation, well...I'd probably hold up a liqour store before I sold that album. I think Steve Gaines really brought a lot to the table for the band, and it showed in the songwriting. Most bands start to slip or show signs of losing it five albums in, but not Skynyrd. And as far as I'm concerned, they places them among bands like Zeppelin and the Beatles as bands that could pull that off. I just really wish there could have been more. If this album is any indication of what they could have done.......what a tragedy.

Overall, this run of albums proves that Skynyrd was more than just a run of the mill rock band. And it goes beyond Free Bird. Eliminating that and SHA from my personal best of playlist, there's still hours worth of great music. And I'll never tire of them. Ronnie Van Zant was not only a great writer, but a visionary and very wise man. The world lost out when we lost him, and he never really got his due.

Now if you'll pardon me, it's time to find that copy of "One More..." and crank it. There has also been quite a bit of learning from this thread, so thank you Gary, RRB, MYKE, reb, pool_of_tears and everyone else for bringing so much to light! I certainly appreciate it all!

mdent, Rose River Bear, cgw and 7 others like this.
  9. Myke

Two more Facebook fans have recently shared with Ed ( says he's never seen these until now ) .....

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

10. GerryO

GerryO Senior Member

A stretch possibly, but Skynyrd related for me; recently received the Cherry Red (thank you Cleanhead?) - Esoteric label 3CD Move album set and have really enjoyed all of the whistles in their mid-60s material

11. Myke

Another Ed's never seen until yesterday...

[​IMG]

Dave Hoos, Rose River Bear and Hutch like this.
  12. Myke

The ladies...

[​IMG]

13. Rose River Bear

Rose River Bear Senior Member

Great post.
    For some reason, I am not getting notices when new posts hit the thread.

14. Myke

Turn it off. Wait. Turn it back on again.

Rose River Bear likes this.
  15. Hard to believe he never hit 30. Such a shame.

Rose River Bear and Myke like this.
  16. Myke

And he knew he wouldn't.

17. Exile On My Street

Exile On My Street Senior Member

Now there are three ladies who I bet were a lot of fun to hang out with in the bar after a gig. :agree:

clhboa and Rose River Bear like this.
  18. I've seen DBT a few times already this year. And on one night they ended the set with this and boy does it hit home. Every time:

19. Myke

That's the song that brought me to them.
    CMT used it in their definitive documentary on Southern Rock.
    The day after it broadcast, and I had committed it to VHS tape, I headed for Tower Records, for a copy of SRO.
    Last year, after asking to become my Facebook Friend ( he liked my posts ? ), CMT President Brian Philips told me the parent company has no intention of ever releasing the doc on physical disc, since streaming is all they care about...making my tape even more special !!!

[​IMG]

Hutch likes this.
  20. Todd W.

Todd W. It's a Puggle

Have you heard It's Great to Be Alive? The set list is great. Is that a good representation of them live? It doesn't sound like a lot has been messed with in the studio. I'm really enjoying it.

21. Yes.

22. Myke

From Ed's Facebook today...

" Up until today, my two tours with the Beach Boys were the highlight of my life. Today I was visited by the man who inspired me to pick up a guitar. Mr. James Burton. "

[​IMG]

pscreed, Dave Hoos, GerryO and 4 others like this.
  23. Myke

24. Myke

25. Rose River Bear

Rose River Bear Senior Member

Thanks for posting those pictures.
    A couple of Teles begging for mercy. :D

Exile On My Street and Myke like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.