Prince, R. I. P.

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by mr._mojo_filter, Apr 21, 2016.

1. Mal

Mal Phorum Physicist

Either could be good - although editing them to a reasonable length might be tricky :)

JohnnyQuest likes this.
  2. Mal

Mal Phorum Physicist

3. I would rather go for the documentary route.

I've never seen anyone in a biopic that did a great job, let alone a good one, with the exception of Paul Dano playing Brian Wilson.

I don't think I'm being overly dramatic to ask who in the world could ever play Prince? It's all in the eyes. Prince had eyes like no other to go along with his short, slim, physique. There was automatic genius behind those eyes. You could tell it. Anybody else would be lusterless.

Now a documentary? One could make a documentary the size of the Beatles' Anthology for Prince. It would be fitting.

John Rhett Thomas and enro99 like this.
  4. gjkendall

gjkendall Forum Resident

Prince for me was and always will be about the music..I had no interest when he was alive and even less now he has passed about his PRIVATE life!

5. redsock

redsock Writer, reader, grouch.

One thing I like to think about is how I would cut a double album down to a single. I've been listening to SOTT in the car for the past two weeks and have gone with this single album. Maybe not the best songs, but the ones I like to hear.)

(The exercise is just for fun. I am not saying that SOTT should be a single. Hell, Prince could have made it a 5- or 6-LP set with all the material he had at that time - and it still would have had very little filler.)

A
    Housequake
    The Ballad of Dorothy Parker
    It
    Strange Relationship

B
    U Got the Look
    I Could Never Take the Place of Your Man (edit)
    Hot Thing
    The Cross

Figuring out the times, either my math is wonky or it looks like each side is 17:53!

EVOLVIST likes this.
  6. Warner Bros. approves. :thumbsup: :D

Mal likes this.
  7. Mal

Mal Phorum Physicist

8. Mal

Mal Phorum Physicist

9. Mal

Mal Phorum Physicist

Switch "Housequake" for "Starfish & Coffee" and I'm in :thumbsup:

Perhaps make another great single album from the rest :)

Last edited: May 27, 2016
  10. Really? Not Don Cheadle as Miles, Forrest Whitaker as Charlie Parker, Joaquin Phoenix as Johnny Cash, or Jamie Foxx as Ray Charles?

spindly likes this.
  11. The hardest part of a Prince documentary would be filming the particular genius that was his live playing. Without using camera tricks to have a real musician's hands filmed, it just wouldn't work. I can imagine a great actor getting the dancing/entertainer part of his thing down. Not sure the excitement of his playing would play all that well in a movie environment . . . unless they strategically cut to REAL Prince performances.

12. Nostaljack

Nostaljack Resident R&B enthusiast

All the assumption... You don't know how good a husband he was - none of us do. Not a fair place to go unless we know/knew them both as people. That he didn't want his name spoken of PUBLICLY does not automatically make him a terrible husband.

Ed

thekid87 and Grant like this.
  13. nosticker

nosticker Forum Guy

Agreed. Hollywood is notoriously inept at portraying enigmatic personalities. The result is usually cartoonish or goofy. It's like they don't even try. I would hate to see a Prince biopic. The odds of it being accurate or watchable are stacked against it. I remember watching the TV movie about the Beach Boys during the Smile era, which consisted of little more than the actor playing Brian mugging and grinning like an idiot. The entire creative process has, to my knowledge(and IMO), never been portrayed convincingly onscreen. In all fairness, it's probably not the most cinematic.

Dan

enro99 likes this.
  14. bunglejerry

bunglejerry Forum Resident

The Friction Years were all about the music. The fight with WB was all about the music.

Cubbiegirl likes this.
  15. Cubbiegirl

Cubbiegirl Forum Resident

Biopic for me ...I'm going to have to think about the characters though....
    I really think a biopic is called for as all of the stuff you mentioned had a profound effect on who he was, who he became and the music he wrote ..

zebop and JohnnyQuest like this.
  16. Cubbiegirl

Agreed....it just is incomplete without the back story ...

17. Cubbiegirl

Didn't say anything about the name being spoken,it was Mayte who said that part and I merely stated what she said ,and that it had to be therapeutic for her to finally speak of it, instead of acting like it never happened .Thats not a healthy thing to do ,actually there was more that we all watched unfold before our eyes .Im not calling the man abusive or anything , and I'm not calling Mayte an angel .
    The whole hair dye and nail polish causing birth defects that he publicly posted had to be very hurtful to her. BTW ...Pfeiffers Syndrome is a genetic disease,not caused by something the mother did or didn't do .

Last edited: May 27, 2016
    eileen likes this.
  18. C6H12O6

C6H12O6 Senior Member

Didn't know this until today, but it's really sad how Elvis died the way he did. He was found alone, fallen from a toilet, with his PJ's to his ankles in a pool of vomit. A terribly sad end for someone of his stature.

Then there's Lennon, who was rushing back to see his kid, but never making it as he was murdered in front of his home. Given everything that was happening - his return to making music, working on another album, finally happy perhaps for the first time in his life - it's excruciating. Not nearly as bad, but Prince dying alone and on the floor for an entire night before anyone found him is damn sad. These guys weren't just enormously popular and gifted, they're pretty much at the top of the heap as music icons, and they all came to such sad ends. George Harrison's death is pretty much ordinary, especially for someone dying from a long illness - surrounded by family, in private - but it's weird how unusual that is for anyone with his measure of success in his line of work. (Yes, a lot of drugs in the music business makes a difference, but still…)

19. Mal

Mal Phorum Physicist

EVOLVIST likes this.
  20. Mal

Mal Phorum Physicist

21. Cubbiegirl

That's cool, just as some of us are interested as to how the events in his life influenced his music .,
    I'm sure there is enough interest for both a documentary and a biopic , and if someone has no interest they simply don't have to watch .

22. Lonson

Lonson I'm in the kitchen with the Tombstone Blues

[​IMG]

Mal likes this.
  23. Olompali

Olompali Forum Resident

Sissy Spacek as Loretta Lynn, Gary Busey as Buddy Holly or David Carradine as Woody Guthrie

24. Bowieboy

Bowieboy Forum Resident

Picked up the Rolling Stone (which has the 1984 cover photo with his arm pit lol) and Essence Magazine commemorative issues today.

Both are nice, but I am really disappointed in the RS one because for the album reviews and reflections on the albums, they reduced his final 20 years to just Emancipation, Musicology, 3121 and HitnRun Phase Two (in comparison, for Bowie's tribute magazine from RS, the only skipped album was Buddha Of Suburbia which flew so low under the radar in the US that only diehard fans know it even exists).

25. Mal

Mal Phorum Physicist

The original costume design for Prince's planned role in The Fifth Element:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Story here.

dee, StevelandJudkins and EVOLVIST like this.