Miles Davis SACD remasters by Mobile Fidelity *

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by BSC, Feb 15, 2014.

1. SteelyTom

SteelyTom Forum Resident

By way of setting a baseline for the forthcoming SACD, what's the knock on ESP's recording quality? The balances sound a little off to me (I've got an RBCD), with Miles and Shorter a bit (too?) forward-- is that what people have in mind?

2. SergioRZ

SergioRZ Well-Known Member

The problem is.... none of that communication is quite 100% reliable, or 100% clear, not from Impex and certainly not from MFSL. That's the reality of it... so I prefer to go with what I think makes sense, I can get it wrong, and often do, no problem :)

That sentence from MFSL can just mean that MFSL suspects they used a copy of the recent mixdown tape, for some reason. And for all I know, Impex could have used a copy also, but they don't have a "banner" on the cover to get all our heads spinning with this stuff hehehehhe ;)

No use to go over and over about this, really, I respect all other views and they are certainly just as plausible as mine (or more). I'm curious to hear this E.S.P. by MFSL, I do expect it to sound great, maybe the best ever :)

3. Gabe Walters

Gabe Walters Forum Resident

Fair enough. If you get to it before I do, let me know how it sounds!

rxcory and SergioRZ like this.
  4. Johan1880

Johan1880 Forum Resident

Labels do not seem to consider to use higher generation tapes in vaults abroad, the UK for example, when the US master is worn out, missing or damaged. Why? These copies have been sitting in these vaults untouched for a long long time. I never thought about this option until I bought an Absolute Analogue copy of Kob. I like it better than my other versions. Don't have originals, only all the Classic version (33 blue, 33/45 package, 45rpm) the 50th ann. and the MFSL 45rpm. There seems to be a pleasant kind of freshness on the Absolute Analogue, those other versions lack.

Last edited: May 27, 2016
    crispi and SergioRZ like this.
  5. SuperFuzz

SuperFuzz Forum Resident

Some labels do exactly that. Besides Absolute Analogue, Speakers Corner and Pure Pleasure are other examples.

crispi likes this.
  6. KeithH

KeithH Success With Honor...then and now

Wrong. It looks like I will receive the E.S.P. SACD on Saturday.

7. hvbias

hvbias Midrange magic

I am almost positive someone on another music blog asked Mofi regarding the mix and they said it was the original mix.

The Impex remix- that is what I misremembered to be done by Mark Wilder. I can't recall anything about how the CDs sound. The Impex remix is the one I take issue with it and it is a combination of mix and mastering; it sounds bright and just dead. My stereo 2-eye pressing sounds fantastic, and has excellent contrast between soft to loud.

I'm not a fan of numerous Miles Mofi vinyl reissues, however every single one of their Miles SACDs (except KoB) are now my definitive version regardless of format so I remain optimistic about the sound of E.S.P.!

mikeyt likes this.
  8. KeithH

What are you doing getting back on topic?

:laugh: <--- You're supposed to laugh at yourself to let everyone know that it's funny.

Seriously, interesting that you like the MFSL SACDs but not the LPs. What is the issue with the latter?

When I get the SACD (ON SATURDAY!), I'll compare it to the Legacy CD remaster.

9. hvbias

hvbias Midrange magic

I was on the previous page when I was making my reply. I did see something about Shawn and thought it was Shawn R. Britton :( (sorry noname74)

Their mastering between the vinyl and SACD are not always the same. I think this is because they sometimes have different people remastering them and their cutting system does not have the upper end transparency of the systems of Grundman, Gray, etc. With things like Analogue Productions Kevin Gray SACD or 45 rpm the two sound much closer and differences are mostly down to format and/or playback. They knocked it out with Sorcerer at 45 rpm that one is just as good as their SACD.

The biggest difference is with Mofi Milestones and Round About Midnight. I really dislike the murky/veiled sound on the vinyl, but the SACDs are excellent. I might even like those SACDs more than my 6-eye originals which sound very vibrant but have compression.

As always all IMHO, to my ears, nothing stated as fact. A couple of years ago I wouldn't have believed CD/SACD could be at the level I'm getting now with my friend's DAC.

SteelyTom and mikeyt like this.
  10. eelkiller

eelkiller One of the great unwashed

The Mofi guys do not post here.

11. J.A.W.

J.A.W. Music Addict

Not anymore, they left years ago.

12. KeithH

Thanks for the details on the MFSL vinyl. I didn't know about these differences. Like you, I have very happy with the MFSL Miles Davis SACDs.

13. hvbias

hvbias Midrange magic

I know ;)

Back on topic I agree with a poster on the previous page that sometimes versions that have had the tape repeatedly used can often not sound as vibrant. KoB is a great example where I love the sound of the original 6-eye stereo and Japan for US first issue CD. Though the tape they used on that CD does have some anomalies like extremely minor tape stretch in one spot and a lot of hiss. And yet even that late generation tape still sounds pretty fresh tone and detail wise.

eelkiller likes this.
  14. MikeJedi

MikeJedi Forum Resident

I agree about what was said up thread My Foreigner MFSL SACDs are fantastic ! The corresponding LPs from MFSL to my ears sound dead! Which I don't understand cause I have other MFSL LPs like Santana and KOB and Sinatras that sound amazing so it's weird !

15. eelkiller

eelkiller One of the great unwashed

Name a label that bats 1.000, it does not exist unless there is extreme bias involved IMO.

16. BlueNoteFan

BlueNoteFan Forum Resident

What's your definitive KoB? I've never heard the MFSL. I have the 24/96 HDtracks download; it sounds so good to me that I didn't feel the need to pay up for the MFSL SACD.

17. RubenH

RubenH Forum Resident

Obviously an apples/oranges comparison, but still: I'd welcome your take on the MoFI CD layer vs. the Mark Wilder 1998 CD (CK65680). Thanks!

18. KeithH

I will work on that tomorrow. The SACD arrived late today, and I already had other discs in the queue. :)

19. jedstar

jedstar Well-Known Member

STILL WAITING FOR "MILES IN THE SKY"

GRRRRRRRRR!

bruce2 likes this.
  20. MikeJedi

MikeJedi Forum Resident

how is the ESP sacd? :)

21. Lonson

Lonson I'm in the kitchen with the Tombstone Blues

Be patient. They just started shipping a few days ago, and there's a holiday in the midst where mail slows. The reviews will start soon. Mine arrives Tuesday.

Last edited: May 29, 2016
  22. hvbias

hvbias Midrange magic

My favorite version overall is the 35DP Japan CD closely followed by 24/192 HDTracks. For mono 24/192 HDTracks.

Maffune, mikeyt and BlueNoteFan like this.
  23. KeithH

I started listening to the E.S.P. SACD this morning. With interest in comparing it to the Legacy remastered CD (catalog number CK 65683), I loaded both discs in my Sony SCD-C2000ES SACD/CD changer. This would facilitate a quick A-B comparison. Maybe it's better this way for comparison's sake, but my 'C2000ES is having difficulty picking up the SACD layer. I loaded the disc a few times from different slots in the carousel, and most of the time, it read the disc as a CD. When I pressed the SACD/CD button on my remote, the player displayed "NOT A HYBRID". I have never had this issue with this player before. It could be a tolerance issue with this particular disc (e.g., layer thickness) that is giving the changer problems or it could be a sign that my changer is starting to take a dive. I put the E.S.P. SACD in my Sony SCD-XA5400ES and Denon DVD-3910, and both players read it as a hybrid disc on the first try. Also, the 'C2000ES consistently reads the Bob Dylan Greatest Hits and The Cars MFSL SACDs as hybrids. So for some reason unbeknownst to me, the 'C2000ES doesn't like the E.S.P. disc.

Finishing the player gymnastics, I listened to the E.S.P. CD layer on the 'C2000ES. This way, I'm comparing CD to CD. For what it's worth, the CD layer on the MFSL disc clocks in at 48:35, while the Legacy remaster runs 48:17. Comparing the title track on the two discs, what is immediately obvious is that the Legacy remaster is louder and harsher. The sax is piercing on the Legacy remaster, while the overall tone of the MFSL disc is rounder and deeper. Again, the MFSL disc is not as loud. The impression is that the MFSL disc is somewhat closed in and subdued, while the Legacy remaster is more forward. I prefer the MFSL disc.

At this point, I cannot say for sure that the differences I am hearing are different mixes. They could simply be mastering differences. Is there something I should listen to in particular that is an obvious signature of one mix versus the other?

jfeldt likes this.
  24. SuperFuzz

SuperFuzz Forum Resident

No, not really... it was a 3-track recording. There's only so much "mixing" that can be done. Herbie & Ron are on the same track (panned left), both horns on same track (panned center) and Tony is on the third track panned right. So those three tracks could sound louder or quieter relative to the others, but I've heard original pressings, as well as almost every digital reissue (at least 2 different "remixes", by Tim Geelan & Mark Wilder), the Impex reissue, etc., and didn't notice any mix differences. Most of the differences I've heard are EQ choices, and the width of the soundstage, all attributable to mastering choices.
    I haven't heard the MFSL yet, but I agree with you about the Legacy remaster - very harsh. I'm not surprised the MFSL sounds a bit mellower in comparison.

25. KeithH

Thanks for the feedback. I clearly hear the instrument placement that you cited on both discs. Further comparing the two discs, the Legacy remaster has that "in-your-face" sort of annoyance. I had to turn the volume down when comparing it to the MFSL disc. The MFSL disc is much more enjoyable. After listening to the CD layer on the changer, I will now listen to the SACD layer on the better SCD-XA5400ES. That should be fun. :)