Elvis Costello: New "National Ransom" Due October 25 '10*

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by johnfoyle, May 24, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. dee

dee Senior Member

Been listening to the album from time to time since it was released.
    I find it's now criminally underrated lol. Sweet hyperbole lol. Still, Ransom utterly confused me as a whole piece. Like its a compilation of songs from many sources yet with sets of commonality. Anyway, for 1 cd it's just too damn long and a jumble for me and always has been. Fwiw, I finally stretched the track list over 2 cd's instead, including the brilliant bonus take of I Hope. Unfortunately, this idea is incomplete as I don't have the damn EP songs. Basically the first cd is a bit of a sequel to Secret and Profane, and called Acoustic Ransom lol. I happen to think the sound quality and songs are more distinctive and memorable than what could be its predecessor. Acoustic Ransom includes all the predominantly acoustic numbers. The 2nd disc, the next 'album' perhaps? is simply Electric Ramsom and is all the predominantly electric instrumentation. You can see I got very creative with the titles ;). Anyway, the 2 disc approach has shed some valuable sense of context to me in my otherwise confused or schizo musical experiences with National Ransom. I took some time too with sequencing the 2 discs if anyone is curious. Anyway, it's been a joy listening. In some other words, it took a lifetime for me to discover, a moment to decide ;)

wayneklein likes this.
  2. I quite agree. It's also better than I remember it being listening to it recently.

dee likes this.
  3. Squealy

Squealy Forum Hall Of Fame

I thought it sounded like a compilation album of the previous ten years of Elvis's career, but with all new songs.

dee likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.