Help With Miles Davis Sketches of Spain CBS UK Press

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by SteveCam, May 26, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. SteveCam

SteveCam Forum Resident Thread Starter

Just picked up a nice clean copy of Miles Davis Sketches of Spain U.K CBS pressing. The label is orange with the Columbia eye in the middle of the spindle hole. I think it`s either a first pressing or and early reissue. Discogs doesn't show the exact label I have and I have conflicting information from another source (London Jazz Collector). The Cat/ is SBPG 62327. It`s stereo. The speed is listed as 33 and a third, not just 33 which some examples show. The year on the label is 1960. It says Made in England.

Does anyone have any clarification on what pressing I have here? I'm new to jazz records and am only getting my head around the U.S and Canadian labels, so these U.K pressings are new to me.

2. Walter H

Walter H Santa's Helper

This page may be helpful: CBS UK Record Labels »

The first UK issue of this album would have been on the Fontana label. The CBS label didn't start there until 1962.

rxcory likes this.
  3. SteveCam

Thanks! That helps for sure. Look like my copy is probably from the late 1960s. It's a virtually mint copy so I don't think I did too bad.

4. Dubmart

Dubmart Senior Member

I assume that like "Kind Of Blue" it was on catalogue throughout the orange label period meaning there will be several variations, does it has fold over seams on the rear cover, if so it will be earlier.

5. SteveCam

I think it does, but I will have to check when I get home. I'm fairly new to this jazz collecting and bought this not having all the information I should have, but we don't see many U.K presses over here. What is the consensus on this era of pressings? Are they well regarded? Good sound quality? Visually the copy I bought looks pretty mint, so that helps justify the purchase.

6. Dubmart

Dubmart Senior Member

Any orange UK CBS will sound good and you should be more than happy with it, however the consensus is that for Miles early US pressings six eye and two eye, are better than the UK ones, personally I pick up the US copies if I come across them, but don't go out of my way as I'm happy enough with UK copies. I have mono and stereo Fontanas, not sure what else as I had a clear out of many Miles multiple pressings, I'll have to see what I kept.

7. john lennonist

john lennonist There ONCE was a NOTE, PURE and EASY...

I have no idea about "Sketches of Spain," but, IMO, Solid Orange UK pressings of almost anything usually sound great... and, IINM, they're Tube Cut, which gives them a different sound (more midrange glow) than Solid State pressings that U.S. releases often have of the same albums.

Perfect example of this is Bob Dylan's "Blonde on Blonde," for which I have both the UK First Stereo Pressing (Solid Orange label) and U.S. First Stereo Pressing.

Last edited: May 27, 2016
  8. SteveCam

Thanks! Yes, that is what I have heard also. However, finding U.S and Canadian 6 eye pressings of this album or any Miles album is not easy, especially in decent condition or affordable price. This was my first copy of this album I have. I can always look for a 6 eye down the road. During the same buy I also picked up a decent copy of E.S.P on the original Canadian 2 eye label in mono and a U.S original 6 eye pressing of In Person Friday Night at the Blackhawk. The copy of In Person looked a little rough and the cover was split but the first side played way better than I thought it would. Haven't played the second side yet. The E.S.P looks good and plays decent with only a few noisy spots here and there.

9. SteveCam

Thanks for the insight. I look forward to playing this tonight and am feeling better about the purchase already. I don't think I overpayed or paid too much, but who knows?

10. Dubmart

Dubmart Senior Member

A very rough guide to how early your pressing is:
    Rear sleeve fold over US cat no. below UK
    Rear sleeve fold over no US cat no.
    Rear sleeve not fold over stereo/mono message in box
    As above no stereo/mono message

There are other variations, but that should give you an idea.

11. SteveCam

Thanks! I have a picture of the label on my phone and it has the U.S cat # under the U.K cat #, so I guess it's that's a good sign. Will have to check the cover when I get home.

12. SteveCam

I checked the sleeve. I'm not sure but I don't believe it's a fold over. Any better explanation on what a fold over is?

13. Dubmart

Dubmart Senior Member

Up until the late sixties UK sleeves had the seams folded over and glued down on the outside of the rear sleeve, so along the spine, top and bottom edge you will see a raised seam glued down, from the late sixties onwards UK sleeves had the seams glued on the inside so the rear sleeve is flat. This picture shows non fold over Dutch issues with internal seams top and middle and a British first press with the top fold over seam clearly visible bottom.

[​IMG]

14. Dubmart

Dubmart Senior Member

Here are a couple of orange UK CBS copies of "Kind Of Blue" with fold overs and differences in catalogue number and logo layout and size clearly visible.

[​IMG]

15. SteveCam

Thanks for the help! My copy has the seen edges glued on the inside, so I guess it's not a fold down. Played the album last night. Sounds good and in great shape.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.