Swiss electro-pop originals Yello announce first ever live shows and new album "Toy" (09/30/2016)

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by pghmusiclover, May 27, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. pghmusiclover

pghmusiclover Senior Member Thread Starter

2. pghmusiclover

No other fans excited for new music from Yello?

3. Ninecats

Ninecats Forum Resident

Yes I am, been listening a lot to Malia / Blank lately, been kind of rediscovering Yello that way. Did they never played live??

pghmusiclover likes this.
  4. jsayers

jsayers Just Drifting....

I'm looking forward to the new album!!

5. mr._mojo_filter

mr._mojo_filter Forum Resident

6. segue

segue Psychoacoustic Member

A new generation of fans is awaiting . . . they would kill it on the festival circuit today

Technocentral and ARK like this.
  7. TokenGesture

TokenGesture Forum Resident

Yay Dieter and Boris! Those guys are dudes

8. fasto

fasto Forum Resident

Thought this was worth a thread! (Moderator note: thread merged)

The new Yello album "Toy" is scheduled for september 30. (read that on another forum) - but much more excitingly they'll be playing two concerts in Berlin, 26 and 28 october. Tickets on eventim and probably other sites too. 1st night appears to be completely seated, 2nd standing only.

For fans, this is really a minor miracle, I'd have put the likelyhood of Yello actually playing a concert on the same level as Sott Walker doing the same at this point. They must have played live very early on since there's that "Live at the Roxy" track, but I don't think they've played a concert in over 30 years. Maybe Dieter Meier's recent tour with his solo project got him in the mood for live performances. Better late than never!

Last edited by a moderator: May 28, 2016
  9. Great news. I'll be all over this when it comes out. Any year when Yello release music is a good year. Dieter Meier is a 'god-like genius' in my household. A Scott Walker world tour would be thrilling too, ..but let's be realistic.

10. I gotta say YES! :love:

11. TokenGesture

TokenGesture Forum Resident

You're lying. I love it.

12. Marc Perman

Marc Perman Forum Resident

Yes they would. These uber-cool guys are 71 and 64 years of age, time to get touring!

13. kendo

kendo Forum Resident

Was this maxi-single actuallly live ? "Live At The Roxy N.Y. Dec 83"

14. pghmusiclover

They've added 2 more shows!

15. pghmusiclover

Here's a short blurb from Yello's website about the new album:

Yello.com »

TOY to be released on September 30 2016, is the 13th studio album by YELLO and is a return to form for the Godfathers of Electro-Pop. With 14 new songs, YELLO take up the sound of the legendary albums with which they revolutionized electronic music in the early eighties – with Dadaist collages, Latin American rhythms and the brilliant sampling techniques of Boris Blank.

c-eling likes this.
  16. c-eling

c-eling Dinner's In The Microwave Sweety

Stella is definitely a personal gem for me :)
    Thanks for the info, will check it out when released

jamesc and pghmusiclover like this.
  17. pghmusiclover

It's nice they are having Malia appear with them -- I thought her album with Boris was excellent!

18. mikaal

mikaal Sociopathic Nice Guy

Just pre-ordered my copy of Toy-with 3 bonus tracks.
    Just received Boris's Electrified 2 days ago too!!
    October for my ears is booked out what with Yes Tales coming too.

19. Groovy

Groovy Forum Resident

20. jsayers

I pre-ordered the deluxe "book" version with 3 extra tracks. Really looking forward to this!

21. Groovy

Groovy Forum Resident

Thought it would be good for the thread to have the other two songs released so far.

Last edited: Sep 23, 2016
    pghmusiclover and jsayers like this.
  22. Groovy

Groovy Forum Resident

23. mikaal

mikaal Sociopathic Nice Guy

Oh God I can't wait!!!!

24. jsayers

The 4 star review in the new October issue of Mojo with Lou Reed on the cover :

Yello - Toy UMC. CD/DL/LP
    Swiss synth-pop kings Boris Blank and Dieter Meier’s lucky album 13.

Active since 1980, Yello’s biggest UK hit was1988’s synaesthesiac speed anthem The Race, also a favoured theme on the BBC’s Top Gear. Amid the moto-gooning, it was the aural equivalent of fine Gruyère and Teuscher chocolate compared to a cheerful motorway services meal deal of fizzy pop and crisps, and their urbane elegance is maintained onToy. Lead track Limbo drops the listener right back into their impressionist, cartoony and kinetic landscapes of sound: a mysterio dance track with wubwubbing concessions to EDM, it finds gravelled voice Dieter Meier as the Leonard Cohen of the Zurich disco, a stance maintained over the album’s midnight, Latin-inflected technopop of romantic intrigue and gunpoint drama. With guests including Beijing’s Fifi Rong and Malawi’s Malia, and Starlight Scene recalling Desire from 1985’s Stella, it’s easily up there with their best work. Thrillingly, the duo make their long-anticipated concert debut in Berlin in October. - Ian Harrison

pghmusiclover and Neonbeam like this.
  25. Groovy

Groovy Forum Resident

Looking back at my Yello albums, I realized that I haven't really enjoyed a whole one since 'Baby'. They've always had some great songs on each release (sometimes only one) but I've found them to be very patchy overall since their classic phase.

These three new songs seem like a return to putting the song over the technical wizardry. I've been truly surprised to find myself humming a tune and realizing it was a new Yello song. I just keep playing them and humming them. So surprised.

I too pre-ordered the deluxe book edition, from Amazon.u.k. (the cheapest with shipping, so far), and I'm really looking forward to getting it.

Last edited: Sep 28, 2016
    jamesc and jsayers like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.