Steve Hoffman Music Forums Experiment Hour: Colored Vinyl vs Black Vinyl & 180gm vs Standard Weight…

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by MrRom92, Apr 23, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Preston

Preston Forum Resident

Of course, these are just thoughts based on my experiences (and assuming that the LPs being compared are pressed equally well), but I have clear and colored-but-translucent LPs that seem to sound better than all others (with one caveat to come). I seem to have more issues with colored-vinyl that is NOT translucent: more noise, more defects. Pallas, QRP and RTI can do superb work with black vinyl, with extremely low noise levels. No complaints with the products of those companies most of the time. The caveat is related to Japanese LPs. The best examples have an inky blackness to their sound that is amazing and on "flimsy", thin vinyl no less. On my system, you drop the needle on the lead-in groove of a Japanese LP and there is ... nothing. I suspect this is due to meticulous attention to detail during manufacturing and use of the best materials. Interesting thread, BTW!

marcfeld69, Vinyl Addict and MrRom92 like this.
  2. MrRom92

MrRom92 Forum Supermodel Thread Starter

Bringing this back around. I suppose now's as good a time as any to reveal where the splice is?

3. Tullman

Tullman Senior Member

Ya, well, ok.

MrRom92 likes this.
  4. Ham Sandwich

Ham Sandwich Senior Member

I'm still curious. Not only about the splice point, but why I was hearing a difference.

MrRom92 likes this.
  5. Tullman

Tullman Senior Member

Me too!

MrRom92 likes this.
  6. MrRom92

MrRom92 Forum Supermodel Thread Starter

Alrighty, you guys earned it! The switch takes place around 1:45. "While we fly", right on the fricative. Black vinyl was the first part of the sample, then it switches to the electric blue. Only a 50/50 shot but it does like a good majority of you actually got this one right in the poll.

7. Ham Sandwich

Ham Sandwich Senior Member

Tricky! You did a very good job of splicing it there.

I just listened to the clip again and I'm still preferring the second half over the first half. Even though I now know the second half is the standard weight blue splotchy vinyl. I still hear the second half (the blue vinyl) having better focus and sounding more natural. I wonder why? Do you have any theories?

In the poll I voted that the blue vinyl was first based on the second half sounding better to me. I assumed the thicker black vinyl pressing was more likely to be the one that sounds better so I picked the blue as the first half and the black as the second half of the clip.

8. Natt

Natt Forum Resident

I have two copies of Bill Henderson "Send in the Clowns" from Classic Records - one on normal black vinyl, the other on clear vinyl (same vinyl, just no carbon black added). Same mastering, same stamper, same record press. Big difference between the two. The clear vinyl sounds louder and more dynamic - more alive for want of a better word.

marcfeld69 likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.