That plastic stuff that they cover new gear facia and displays with...

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by pscreed, May 28, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. pscreed

pscreed Upstanding Member Thread Starter

Do you ever find yourself looking at an old piece of gear or remote... Like years later... Thinking it looks really dirty/scuzzy and then realizing that the plastic film is still on it?

I got a brand new Rega remote a couple of minutes ago... Been using it for a year :)

Time for a peeling party...

GoldprintAudio, tin ears and timind like this.
  2. Mister Charlie

Mister Charlie "Music Is The Doctor Of My Soul " - Doobie Bros.

Yes I have done the same thing. Makes me feel better, though, that it's not my eyeballs that were at fault the whole time, just my brain. :D

pscreed likes this.
  3. slovell

slovell Retired Mudshark

That's right, blame your brain. Wait a minute...............................................................?

4. I bought a used Squire CV50 Telecaster from a fellow on Craigslist. He told me in advance that the pickguard was a bit scuffed up. When we met, I did note that, but being its a $5 part and a two minute job to replace it, no biggy.

Of course you know where this is going, right?

He never realized that the pickguard had a tear off clear protective sheet over it. Underneath, it was quite literally like new.

pscreed, Aftermath, martinb4 and 2 others like this.
  5. Dr Jackson

Dr Jackson Surgeon of Sound

They quit putting pull tabs on these since these days literally everything is glossy and shiny, and covered with this film at the factory as a result. Back when there was a yellow corner arrow or whatever indicating you rip it off, this never happened.

What kills me (being an ex-computer tech) is people with all the logo stickers for Intel and whatnot plastered on their PC or laptop. You can remove those, folks.

pscreed likes this.
  6. avanti1960

avanti1960 Forum Resident

for some reason i left the stickers on my laptop- nvidia, intel and windows. they look cool.

7. irender

irender Forum Resident

Ha! Just did this last week. Good stuff.

pscreed likes this.
  8. martinb4

martinb4 Forum Resident

The worst is when people leave them on the front of the tv

pscreed and Dr Jackson like this.
  9. Aftermath

Aftermath Senior Member

Anyone know what the name is for this stuff, if even it has an official name?

10. Bill Mac

Bill Mac Forum Resident

The clear stickers that come on the Oppo displays reminds me of Colorform stickers from back when I was a kid. Stickers that stay in place on certain objects but are easily removed and reused.

Clear stickers on the displays of Oppo players come off easily using the little corner pull pieces. I actually pull them off and store them in the plastic bags that the accessories come in. If either of my Oppo players need service I'd place the sticker back in place so the display does get scratched. Or if I sell one of the players it's a nice touch to put the sticker on the display for shipping.

Bill

Last edited: May 28, 2016
    Aftermath, pscreed and Dr Jackson like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.