Musicians/Engineers/Producers who ENDORSE compression, brickwalling etc.

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Pudding Effect, May 28, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Pudding Effect

Pudding Effect Forum Resident Thread Starter

I was just watching a youtube Q&A with David Coverdale from 2012; he's asked about preferences for recording vocals, he stresses how he puts a compressor on his vocals to, as he sees it, give more emphasis to his breathing.

I also watched that Oasis Definitely Maybe 10th anniversary doc (also available on youtube) where Owen Morris talks about how he brought brickwalling to the table, how felt he pioneered it, and how it benefited the record i.e. made the band louder (and therefore I guess more attention-grabbing) than the songs on the radio which preceded/followed it. Covered up mistakes, too.

These are the only two examples which immediately spring to mind but I'm sure there have been other instances I've seen where notable figures in the music (or, more specifically, recording) game have sang the praises of these modern examples of recording/mastering which leave me scratching my head.

Anyone heard/read any similar examples?

2. lightbulb

lightbulb Not the Brightest of the Bunch

I'm not familiar with Owen Morris, nor with all the technical duties required of a Record Producer.
    However, if he is quoted that this modern recording method "covers up mistakes", presumably due to an error that he missed or did not fix...
    It strikes me as being borderline unprofessional.
    Or shall I just say lazy? :shake: :mad: :realmad:

3. Squealy

Squealy Forum Hall Of Fame

It seems like nearly everyone implicitly endorses it...

4. Gary

Gary Nauga Gort! Staff

Making music we like that's playable on our"main" rigs harder to find. :(

5. Gary

Gary Nauga Gort! Staff

And don't forget there is a difference between compression and brick walling. It's over compression that creates brick walling. Compression is just a mastering tool.

audiomixer likes this.
  6. ibanez_ax

ibanez_ax Forum Resident

In the 60s pop records were recorded to sound best on transistor/car radios. Many groups listened to pre-mastered recordings on car radios to see how they sounded.

Nowadays, the recordings are made to sound best on portable devices listened to with ear buds or Bluetooth speakers.

Joy-of-radio likes this.
  7. the sands

the sands Forum Resident

I notied that Stephen Marcussen mastered "3 Pears" by Dwight Yoakam and Bob Ludwig mastered "Memory Almost Full" By Paul McCartney. Both albums represent over the top LOUD to me. I wish for a remaster... :waiting:

8. mj_patrick

mj_patrick Senior Member

It did cover up the mistakes well. So well in fact, I never heard them because I would always eject the CD before reaching them.

Oasis albums are among the absolute worst sounding albums I own, and I own a lot of music.

He didn't pioneer it, either.

Dave, Beech and Diamond Dog like this.
  9. Omnio

Omnio _ _ _ ____ ____ _ _ _

Compression cleverly used can be beneficial. But I'd whip the butt of those who promoted brickwalling!

10. monotubevibe

monotubevibe Forum Resident

All rock/pop/etc vocals are recorded and/or mixed with compression on the individual track. As are drums, bass, guitar. This is not the same thing as compression/brickwalling as discussed in the loudness wars.

11. Scope J

Scope J Senior Member

12. 905

905 Senior Member

And the Oasis remasters of Definitely Maybe and What's the Story Morning Glory were made even louder from what I've read. :(

13. Black Elk

Black Elk Music Lover

And Bob Ludwig has gone on record to say that Memory... was delivered to him with the compression already applied:

Paul McCartney MEMORY ALMOST FULL - Mastering good or bad? * »

14. 32XD Japan1

32XD Japan1 Forum Resident

That line from American Pie is ringing in my head right now..........

Bill Cormier likes this.
  15. the sands

the sands Forum Resident

Alright, so it's not just a matter of mastering? It can be done by the producer? I remember David Kahne had this thing going with Wilco... Hm. ;)

16. dkmonroe

dkmonroe A completely self-taught idiot

Compression as part of the RECORDING process is a completely different thing from excessive compression in MASTERING. Compression as an effect in recording is a great thing - when applied too much in the mastering process, it sucks.

Wounded Land and qwerty like this.
  17. lightbulb

lightbulb Not the Brightest of the Bunch

For comparison sake, what songs have "good or beneficial" use of compression?
    Honestly, I'd like to learn how it can be used effectively... And I've only heard of it described in a negative sense.

18. qwerty

qwerty A resident of the SH_Forums.

I'm not a recording engineer, so I'm willing for those more knowledgeable to correct my assumptions.

As I understand things, the recording of vocals can produce a very loud dynamic range, with some syllables/words creating much more instantaneous energy than the other parts of the singing, and this can also be a product of the singer's vocal and mic technique. So it is appropriate that compression/limiting is applied to the recording of vocals to contain these aberrations of the recording process. In the old days it would prevent tape saturation. This compression does not need to brickwall, only contain, so the vocal track still retains dynamic range.

19. Gary

Gary Nauga Gort! Staff

lightbulb, qwerty and monotubevibe like this.
  20. dkmonroe

dkmonroe A completely self-taught idiot

Again, the "bad" compression is applied during the mastering process. If compression is applied to a voice or instrument during recording, it can be a good thing. For an example of extreme good compression, listen to the guitars on Alice Cooper's "School's Out." Those guitars are compressed all to hell and it sounds great. If the whole RECORDING was compressed during mastering, it would sound awful, but when mastered well it sounds great.

monotubevibe and lightbulb like this.
  21. Wounded Land

Wounded Land Forum Resident

Just to confirm what many others are saying: almost every single vocal and instrument track of any album you've ever heard has compression in the recording/mixing stage. It helps to keep the level of the track relatively constant. Likewise, almost every single album you've ever heard has compression applied at the mastering stage; the problem is the excessive use of mastering compression.

I wish that everyone had the opportunity to spend an afternoon in a studio watching a record being made. I think that a lot of people would be amazed at how much the engineers contribute to the final sound of every single thing we hear on a recording.

monotubevibe and qwerty like this.
  22. ponkine

ponkine Senior Member

MANY guitarists and bassists (specially shredders and metal ones) use compressors on their rigs

:shake:

23. Synthfreek

Synthfreek I’m a ray of sunshine & bastion of positivity

Bu bu bu but compression is bad.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.