Better Sound JBL L200s or Klipsch Cornwalls I

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by andrew stearns, May 27, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. andrew stearns

andrew stearns Well-Known Member Thread Starter

Have a chance to pick up some cornwall speakers, but would have to let the L200s go in the process. I wish i could demo in my home side by side, but that won't be possible. Does anyone have experience with both these speakers?

2. russk

russk Forum Resident

What are you running them with? The L200s are worth more in comparable condition. The Corwalls are more efficient. I'd let what I was running them with decide that. Klipsch with low watt tube gear and if you have SS and aren't going tube stay with the JBL. Now if you said L300 I'd say L300 all the time.

The Pinhead likes this.
  3. andrew stearns

I do have the L200s hooked up to tube gear (50 watt per channel) and a yamaha yp-d8 tt. Before I bought the L200s I heard them demoed on tube gear.....

4. McLover

McLover Senior Member

That tube amplifier is a terrific Cornwall match if there ever was.

SandAndGlass likes this.
  5. russk

russk Forum Resident

It a rough call. Very different sounding speakers. For low power tube gear Cornwalls are a cinch. I think the JBLs have deeper bass and a warmer sound. The Cornwalls are a more alive, dynamic sounding speaker. I passed on the JBL gear because I like lower watt tube gear. Currently running a 30wpc Fisher and am adding a 5 wpc EL84 SEP amp. 50 watts is a lot for Cornwalls. Personally I think they are easily over driven and that's where all the complaints about their sound come from. Your milage may very and all that.

How much are the Cornwalls going for?

SandAndGlass likes this.
  6. andrew stearns

Seller is asking $1200, but offering $1,000...sent some photos, the top of 1 speaker will need to be refinished these are Cornwall I which I am told have a better sound than the IIs or IIIs

7. rebellovw

rebellovw Forum Resident

I've never heard the JBLs but I love the CWs - the comparable JBL from what I understand is the L300 - you can find lots of posts about that comparison - no clear winner though - love on both sides.

8. russk

russk Forum Resident

I prefer the Cornwall 1s with the real plywood cabinets. 1200 bucks pretty much tops out what I'd pay for a pair of standard Cornwall 1s, I'd go more for Decorators or some of the special finishes but not much.

SandAndGlass likes this.
  9. russk

russk Forum Resident

I love my Cornwalls. They are fantastic and my favorite high efficiency speaker, but I don't know anyone that would really compare the Cornwalls to the L300. Well maybe some of the diehard Klipsch guys over on the Klipsch Forum. Not really a fair comparison either considering the L300 went for twice what the Cornwalls went for. L300s are a phenomenal sounding speaker and so is the pro version without the pretty glass tops. That said I think the Cornwalls are worth what they go for. I think the JBL collectors have pushed the price of the L300s to ridiculous levels. The last really nice pair I saw sold for 4 grand.

Your totally right about the L200s though. They aren't in the league of the L300s and I think a fairer comparison to the Cornwalls and for my taste in amps and music I'd take the Cornwalls. Though if I as putting 50 watts into them I'd want them to be vintage Mac tube watts or something of that quality or better.

smctigue likes this.
  10. motorcitydave

motorcitydave Enlightened Rogue In Memoriam

jbl all uhe way...better sound, resale value, and better looking than the cornwalls, imo.

11. McLover

McLover Senior Member

In my own living room, with my Mcintosh MA 5100, the answer is very easy. Cornwall I gets installed. For life. The Klipsch dynamics and realistic musical approach carries the day.

12. andrew stearns

$450.00 Good deal for klipsch cornwall speakers? Serial numbers: 36Y567 & 36Y568 these do have mismatched subwoofers and the cabinets will need to be refinished. about a 3 hr drive for me to pick up . These are from a different seller than the one who wants $1200 for his.

13. russk

russk Forum Resident

That's about the right price. The woofer mismatch is an easy fix. Just grab a pair of Crites cast woofers for like 270.00 when your ready. Easy swap to make.

rodentdog and McLover like this.
  14. McLover

McLover Senior Member

And you can get replacement correct drivers from Klipsch. The Cornwalls are still supported.

15. smctigue

smctigue Forum Resident

My sentiments exactly but my '82 COO's are driven by an '83 ARC D70 MkII.

16. smctigue

smctigue Forum Resident

I recently, gladly paid $1000 for a single owner pair of '82 Cornwall I in near new condition. I wish I had bought them in '82, would have saved me a fortune over the years. These are lifers.

Jimi Floyd and russk like this.
  17. mkane

mkane Strictly Analog

18. Clay B

Clay B Forum Resident

Beautiful setup. I would love to hear a pair of Cornwalls of any vintages. One of these days.

19. mkane

mkane Strictly Analog

20. Jeffczar

Jeffczar Well-Known Member

The L200s are not one of my favorite JBLs, not even close to the L300 to be sure. That said they are decent but overpriced. L166, L112 or 4312a in my opinion would be a much wiser purchase. I would pass on both. The midrange drivers used in most klipsch horn speakers are the raspiest most shouty drivers on the planet. I am not alone in not being able to be in the same room with them playing at any level above a whisper. The Le5 used on most classic JBLs also have harshness issues but they can be tamed and the driver itself is actually quite excellent. The horn driver on the L200 is worlds ahead of the Klipsch. Many people disagree but that's just the way I hear it. Pass on both, look for one of the models I mentioned or if you have a few more bucks the L300 or 4430.

crestwood23 likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.