New record console...with built-in subwoofer?

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by rischa, May 25, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. rischa

rischa Forum Resident Thread Starter

EGB2 Record Console | LUNO »

This new retro console/bar with Project Debut Carbon turntable is super stylish, but the description on the web page says it contains a built-in subwoofer. I don't know anything about console design, but I do know better than to put a subwoofer in the rack with my turntable.

The description doesn't mention any damping or isolation for the record player. Am I wrong in thinking this is a bad idea? The thing is absolutely beautiful, but seems completely impractical for playing records, even by the standards of period consoles (I'm assuming 50's-60's era consoles didn't have subs built into them--speakers, of course, but not subs).

rd1 and Clipper Sylvania like this.
  2. pscreed

pscreed Upstanding Member

It's not well written copy... But the word "separate" there makes me think maybe it's actually not physically incorporated in the main console.

It is a darn nice looking piece of furniture. My dad had a telefunken console when we were kids, I always liked that thing. I will say it held one heck of a lot of Mario Lanza records.

rischa likes this.
  3. rischa

rischa Forum Resident Thread Starter

Yeah it's weird, because it says "built into...is a separate subwoofer." My interpretation is that it's built into the console.

4. pscreed

pscreed Upstanding Member

Yeah you might be right, if so I'm with you, it's hard to imagine how in the world that could ever work...

rischa likes this.
  5. McLover

McLover Senior Member

Not a good idea to have subwoofer and turntable in the same cabinet. The old consoles were bass light on purpose to avoid feedback.

6. JBStephens

JBStephens I don't "like", "share", "tweet", or CARE. In Memoriam

The term "subwoofer" has devolved from "a driver to reproduce the first octave" to "a word you say to sell speakers". I've seen a 6" driver labeled as "subwoofer". I mean come ON, people. That's right up there with "HD" TV antennas.

Donniej likes this.
  7. Clipper Sylvania

Clipper Sylvania L'écharpe d'abricot

It looks very nice and I'm glad to see that there's a console revival of sorts. If I had the money, I wouldn't mind having one, but they seem to have left out the AM/FM tuner. That's like having Patty without Cathy---nice enough turntable and cabinet, but you can't have a console stereo without an AM/FM tuner; Bluetooth or streaming isn't the same.

As for subwoofers, I've never seen one installed in a console, but it doesn't mean that someone somewhere didn't do it, either originally or in some sort of latter-day restoration/modification. I read it as a separate piece somewhere in the body of the instrument. Perhaps they've figured out a way to install a subwoofer so that what it does doesn't rebound to the record changer. I suppose that's not inherently incredible on boutique pieces like these appear to be.

8. If you all had clicked on the"Specifications", you might have understood a little about the subwoofer. As specified, it is a down-firing subwoofer. It is separate enclosed, meaning it is not part of the other 2 speaker systems and it is obviously isolated from the console(probably in a foam enclosure). Ideally, it should be mounted in the center bottom of the console for even dispersion of sound and the console should be on a solid floor surface(as carpet would absorb the sound . Being that it is down-firing and isolated, it's effects will be nil on the turntable. As the 2-way speakers have a 6 1/2" woofer, there is probably room under one for the subwoofer.

Down-firing sub? Nothing new here. It's been done before. Take a Rock-ola nostalgia bubbler jukebox. Most of these were sold for home use. Aside from having 6 speakers mounted in the center grille front-firing, they have a separately enclosed, down-firing subwoofer mounted in the bottom center of the cabinet. It sounds great and rocks the house! A stereo-wide feature makes it sound as if the 2 channels, 3 + 3 speakers, are separated 10 feet apart.

OK. Back to the console. It's a neat retro-style home stereo, just like many people grew up with in the 60's and 70's. A real center piece for a game or living room. However, one of the traditional purposes of a home stereo console was to be able to put a stack of records on and have a couple of hours of uninterrupted music. A single play turntable can't give you that.

Well, I think that I will just stick with my 1968 Seeburg HSC3 home stereo console. It's loaded with 50 LP's and plays both sides of them. I can either select any album and play one or both sides, plus, with the touch of one button, it will sequentially both sides of all 50 LP's giving days of uninterrupted music. On top of that, after loading or unloading, you never see or touch the LP's.

9. tremspeed

tremspeed Well-Known Member

Nice looking unit. Probably the perfect thing for someone with a bit of money and a mid-century aesthetic to upgrade their Crosley, Audio Technica or thrift store turntable. Very smart that it's also compatible with airplay, but a standard line-in would have been a nice addition- I could see people putting this underneath a wall mounted TV and using the speakers for TV/movie sound (maybe there are Airplay TVs, I'm not sure).

It's bound not to be cheap however, and certainly doesn't seem to encourage adding additional equipment like a CD player or whatever. Assuming it's $1500-2000 or so, I think you're courting customers that are going to maybe want more flexibility.

10. McLover

McLover Senior Member

What I want in this genre, is for Bozak and Barzilay type custom furniture to be revived and the owner's choice of equipment. Nice disappearing aesthetics, flexibility, and choice.

Clipper Sylvania likes this.
  11. avanti1960

avanti1960 Forum Resident

Looks nice.

12. Pastafarian

Pastafarian Forum Resident

Well my initiation to Pet Sounds & Val Doonican came via my uncle's similar looking beast. I suspect the sub is meant to get it closer to the original wall of mush experience, presumably at a cost of thousands.

Who'd buy this stuff?

Donniej likes this.
  13. Rolltide

Rolltide Forum Resident

I think as a general rule, when a stereo component advertises its whisky glass storage feature and mentions a popular TV show, asking of it the sort of questions you'd ask of actual Hi Fi gear isn't necessary. Perhaps minibars with record players built in don't get tested in anechoic chambers, you know?

Donniej, Clipper Sylvania and rischa like this.
  14. Clipper Sylvania

Clipper Sylvania L'écharpe d'abricot

Sure they do. You've got something to celebrate with when you're done with testing. If the results are great, then toast your accomplishment. If the results aren't so great, then drown your sorrows. Very efficient, I'd say. At least one of my consoles will have its own dedicated decanter and glasses when restoration's complete, so I essentially agree with the idea of using a console for this additional purpose.

Regardless of my complaints regarding the lack of an AM/FM tuner, I'm still very glad to see console stereos being manufactured and marketed as new in 2016. If I had the money, I'd call them and ask about the future.

15. Ephi82

Ephi82 Still have two ears working

A 100 watt sub? Wow, blow my mind.

If you want the mid fi "record player" your parents/uncles/aunts may have had in the late 50's through mid 60's, buy this. My parents had one. I can tell you that in 1969 Abbey Road sound great and I mean GREAT on the "Zenith" compared to my mono record player. Fortunately my mom was cool, and we played it all day long while while Dada was at work.

It looks cool, but any system of separates affordable to a college student in the early to mid 70's would blow the socks off this

Donniej likes this.
  16. Donniej

Donniej Senior Member

"Let's see how many trends we can incorporate into this, bro." I'm surprised there isn't a craft beer dispenser in it. Haha!

sunspot42 likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.