UK Glam Rock Hit Singles. Pick your favourites.

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Bobby Morrow, May 25, 2016.

1. oldturkey

oldturkey Forum Resident

Glam rock was alive in 1976! Good stuff.
    I like that spaceship (or whatever it is) taking off at the end. Fantastic.
    Edit - British ex-pats according to Wikipedia.
    We Brits were the leaders of the glam gang.

Last edited: May 29, 2016
    Oggy likes this.
  2. Bobby Morrow

Bobby Morrow Senior Member Thread Starter

It's hard to pick. I could have filled it with T. Rex, Slade, Sweet and Gary Glitter singles, but I wanted to give other artists a chance. Some people classed the Bay City Rollers as Glam, whereas I didn't, really. So do you put them in or not?

bob60, Oggy and oldturkey like this.
  3. Spruce

Spruce Forum Resident

Definitely those...and add Suzi Quatro, Chicory Tip, Queen and The Rubettes to that list. I would also argue that Mott the Hoople weren't a Glam band either.

4. BigManRestless

BigManRestless Forum Resident

For anyone who is a fan of glam, or has fond memories of what it was like to be in the UK in the early 70s generally, I'd highly recommend the Denim albums.

Oggy and oldturkey like this.
  5. BigManRestless

BigManRestless Forum Resident

But All The Young Dudes is THE glam anthem!

bob60, Oggy and oldturkey like this.
  6. Spruce

Spruce Forum Resident

Is it really? To me it's a fine, slightly laid back "rock" track. If we are talking "glam rock" anthems then stuff by the Sweet and Gary Glitter epitomises this genre. I also forgot to include Alice Cooper in those artists I don't consider glam. Shock Rock yes but not true glam.

greenwichsteve and Oggy like this.
  7. oldturkey

oldturkey Forum Resident

My wall at the time had posters of Bowie, Alice Cooper and Wizzard. My sister had David Cassidy and the Bay City Rollers.......blegh.
    It's hard to pin down a definition of glam rock I think, but IMO All The Young Dudes, School's Out and Elected definitely fit. And Suzi.
    There's something about a certain guitar sound, football crowd style backing vocals and handclaps.

Last edited: May 29, 2016
    bob60, Bobby Morrow and Oggy like this.
  8. Andy Smith

Andy Smith .....Like a good pinch of snuff......

While Mott didn't start out as Glam, they whole-heartedly threw themselves into the scene.

Simon A, Oggy and BigManRestless like this.
  9. Oggy

Oggy Forum Resident

The centre pages of Record Mirror had a lot to answer for!

oldturkey, bob60 and Bobby Morrow like this.
  10. Oggy

Oggy Forum Resident

It has been said that all drummers are cavemen.:D

Bobby Morrow likes this.
  11. Spruce

Spruce Forum Resident

Then you are probably around the same age as me, I was born in 58. I used to wear platforms, Oxford bags and had a bona fide Bowie cut, my hair was black back in those days so it was bleached white to take the red dye. I guess you could say I was a big Bowie/glam fan. Some of my mates were more into the denim thing and acts such as Mott the Hoople, Alice Cooper and Queen to name a few, were more their thing. Don't think they would have classed themselves as glam rock fans, indeed they would have been horrified! A lot of acts at the time dressed up on t.v. to try and cash in on the glam rock craze.

12. Oggy

Oggy Forum Resident

Who really cares? It is all about good, fun music that puts a smile on people's face, and still is 45 years on!

bob60 and Bobby Morrow like this.
  13. Spruce

Spruce Forum Resident

If you don't care then that's fine. It's not a matter of life or death to me either but I was around in the UK at that particular time and I was just giving my recollections of that scene.

Oggy likes this.
  14. Spruce

Spruce Forum Resident

THIS is what I am on about. It epitomises glam and is a fine record in its own right

Willowman and Oggy like this.
  15. Oggy

Oggy Forum Resident

I understand where you are coming from, and being a youngster (very long time that I've said that!), born in '62, I was too young to take all on board from the early glam years.

The press, agents, the band may have aligned themselves to the "glam brand" for the exposure, same thing happened with Punk, New Wave, New Romantics, Grunge, Rock and Roll. Some artists evolved, some cynically jumped on the latest bandwagon.

I'll just remember the naive fun of those times!

bob60, Spruce and Bobby Morrow like this.
  16. oldturkey

oldturkey Forum Resident

So you were about 13/14 when glam hit big, and I was about 7 or 8, so that probably explains our different experiences. My older brother had Oxford bags and long hair but he was into Northern soul and also rock such as Thin Lizzy, UFO, Nazareth etc. My even older sister had a Bowie feather cut. I remember having platform soled shoes though at some point (not too high) and round collared shirts. It's interesting.

Spruce likes this.
  17. Oggy

Oggy Forum Resident

When I saw Alvin Stardust and Showaddywaddy, on the bill was Sweet F.A. a tribute band. Gerry Shephard was playing guitar with them, squeezed into one of his Glitter Band jackets.

Yet another from that era, that left us far too young.

Bobby Morrow likes this.
  18. oldturkey

oldturkey Forum Resident

I once tried to work out how to get the Glitter Band guitar sound on my guitar, but failed. I love that sound.

Oggy likes this.
  19. oldturkey

oldturkey Forum Resident

And Look-In.

Oggy and Bobby Morrow like this.
  20. Bobby Morrow

[​IMG]

Wonder if Alvin did the interview or got Peter Shelley to do that for him too?:D

oldturkey, bob60 and Oggy like this.
  21. Oggy

Oggy Forum Resident

But do you find it easy to make out ALL of the words? Most are crystal clear, but some! I do like his voice though!

22. Oggy

Oggy Forum Resident

And a poster of Chris "Motor Bikin', Womble" Spedding.

Bobby Morrow likes this.
  23. Andy Smith

Ah, y'see, I was a Disc man m'self.... They had sensible in-depth pieces by such notable writers as.....er....Ray Fox-Cummings. (Truth told, I mainly bought it for J Edward Oliver's cartoons).

Oggy likes this.
  24. Bobby Morrow

I liked Disc, but it was done by the time I really started getting into music. Went 'into' Record Mirror, as I recall. As did Popswap.

Andy Smith and Oggy like this.
  25. Andy Smith

I was born in '58 too. Don't forget tank-tops, Levi sta-prest trousers and Ben Sherman shirts! God, we were cool *******.......

Oggy likes this.