Songs that ruin the album

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Sentient Six, May 14, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Oatsdad

Oatsdad Oat, Biscuits, Abbie & Mitzi: Best Dogs Ever

IMO, most of "McCartney" is mediocre at best. "Maybe I'm Amazed" is a great song, "Every Night" is a very good song, "Junk" is a decent song, and the rest is meh to sub-meh.

The album seems to have a lot of fans, but I can't figure out why. Leave off "Maybe I'm Amazed" and it's inferior to "Wild Life"...

DTK likes this.
  2. RichC

RichC Forum Resident

No one mentioned "All I Want To Do" from 20/20?
    Ruins the flow of what is otherwise one of the three best Beach Boys albums.

Also, to a lesser extent, "Student Demonstration Time" on Surf's Up. Should've been replaced with one of Dennis' songs, like "Live Again" or "4th Of July."

oldsurferdude likes this.
  3. dmiller458

dmiller458 Forum Resident

It doesn't quite ruin the album, but the Cult's cover of Born To Be Wild on 1987's Electric is pretty bad.

4. Drifter

Drifter AAD survivor

Yes, awful.

5. BluesOvertookMe

BluesOvertookMe Forum Resident

No, to me it just showed the band's versatility.

zen likes this.
  6. Deidre is just lovely.

Nitrosijo and veloso2 like this.
  7. What's That You're Doing is the greatest track on the album along with Tug Of War and Wanderlust.

Jarleboy likes this.
  8. Drifter

Drifter AAD survivor

Could've been shorter, but I like it.

I also love "Someone Who Cares", "Here Today" and "Take It Away" (although the production is extremely dated on TIA - sounds like it's from the mid-to-late 1970s).

Jarleboy likes this.
  9. Bananas&blow

Bananas&blow It's just that demon life has got me in its sway

Probably would have been Dave picking by then but even the band would groan sometimes when he would go into around and around. Yes I know there are 36 volumes.

10. The low key charm of the album is really what sells it. What you see as mediocre most fans see as a man just making music for himself at the time. There's an intimacy and simplicity that makes it alluring for many fans although "Maybe I'm Amazed" stands out like a sore thumb because of its intensity, craft and how complete it sounds. I enjoy listening to it but wouldn't call it the best McCartney album out there--it's almost like a return to his roots at making music much like POB the difference are the harrowing lyrics and raw playing on Lennon's album (it also doesn't have the low key charm of "McCartney" of course).

For the record there are two songs on "Wild Life" that would have been great to include on an album like McCartney IMHO "Wild Life" and "Dear Friend".

"I Want You" continues Lennon's development into a more direct, raw and personal style of making music.

Last edited: May 28, 2016
  11. JFS3

JFS3 Senior Member

Doesn't ruin the album per se, but the one (and only time) I ever listened to Lightnin' Hopkins from Document was the first time I played the album. R.E.M. was well known for wasting time with pisstakes like this before, but this was the first time they actually put one on an album instead of a B-side.

Just awful.

:mad:

wayneklein likes this.
  12. Mr_TagoMago

Mr_TagoMago Well-Known Member

Ride the lightning is the only Metallica album I really enjoy but I usually stop after Creeping Death. The instrumental at the end is just boring.

Also just wanna say that The Beatles have never made a bad song IMHO.

13. Mr_TagoMago

Mr_TagoMago Well-Known Member

L.A. Blues was a perfect song to end the album with.

DTK likes this.
  14. Colin M

Colin M Forum Resident

Mothers Lament - Cream, Disraeli Gears.
    Amazing Grace - Rod Stewart, Every Picture Tells a Story

15. BryanA-HTX

BryanA-HTX Crazy Doctor

Throw a dart at about a quarter of Exile on Main Street

"Dawn Patrol" on Megadeth Rust in Peace I always skip. Yes, even if it's under 2 mins.

16. CrimsonPiper

CrimsonPiper Forum Resident

Who Dunnit? on Abacab (Genesis).

Pete Puma likes this.
  17. Jim N.

Jim N. Just another day in what was once Paradise...

"Going for the One". Had just picked up the album on the way to a party at a friend's place. Dropped the needle on it and it was a collective "WTF?". It almost did not matter what was on the rest of the album. This was from a bunch of people marveled at Yes the last we saw them (Hollywood Bowl and Long Beach for the Relayer tour). Hell, we'd seen them at the Whisky before "Fragile" was released. TFTO put a huge dent in how much I enjoyed Yes but "Relayer" got me back in to them. This song killed them for me until I heard "Owner of a Lonely Heart".

18. The7thStranger

The7thStranger Part of the Rhythm Nation

"On Any Other Day" ruins Regatta de Blanc for me. Horrendous song.

Also, "You Got It" is a nice blemish on Springsteen's Wrecking Ball.

19. astronauta

astronauta Forum Resident

The Secret Life of Arabia in Bowie's Heroes

20. InStepWithTheStars

InStepWithTheStars It's a miracle, let it alter you

I don't really like The Wall, but it's because of "Hey You" that I haven't listened to that album since February of 2015. I can put up with the crap on side four (if for nothing else, just to hear "Stop", which is one of only three songs with distinct piano on the whole album), but "Hey You" is completely unlistenable to me. The first three notes trigger my gag reflex, no joke. I don't understand how a song with sixteen bars of maggots feeding and buzzing became a hit single (yes, I know it's just the band members making those noises, but that's still what it's intended to be).

At the risk of being hit by @TheLazenby's bat, "The Continuing Story Of Bungalow Bill" is the only Beatles song I refuse to listen to, and because of it I just cherry pick about ten songs off the white album when I want my fix (which is rare) and put them in a playlist. This one is a lot more tolerable than "Hey You" though, and I don't dislike the white album as much as I do The Wall (although both are my least favorite by each artist).

"Shiny Happy People" has prevented me from ever listening to Out Of Time in full. I like "Losing My Religion" and "Country Feedback", but I only ever listened to the first three songs and I can't remember how "Radio Song" goes, and "Low" didn't impress me, sounds like an inferior early version of "Monty Got A Raw Deal" (unless I'm remembering it wrong).

Colin M likes this.
  21. ndoheny

ndoheny Forum Resident

Exactly. I Could never figure out how so many Beatles fans point to Abbey Road as the best Beatles album when it contains the two worst Beatles songs.

pig bodine likes this.
  22. sinfony

sinfony Forum Resident

Ignoreland on Automatic for the People always stuck out like a sore thumb, mediocre song and totally ill-fitting sound-wise compared to the rest of the album.

Shiver likes this.
  23. DTK

DTK Forum Resident

Yellow Submarine. POS!

oldsurferdude likes this.
  24. Khaki F

Khaki F Forum Resident

I'd probably still be listening to Katy Perry if she wouldn't have recorded "Peacock". I heard that and I was like, "That's it, I'm done with this...".

ralph7109 likes this.
  25. Daltronica

Daltronica Well-Known Member

"Leisure" on xtc's English settlement. Such a clanking clumsy mess.
    Also, "in and out the chakras/shaft goes to space"on Todd. Among all the goofs, show tunes, dirges and sound collages on that album, I defy anyone to come up with a more atrocious piece of so called music. I wonder how many people put on that record, took one listen of that and were put off for life.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.