Help with headphones and amp

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by Fishoutofwater, May 29, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Fishoutofwater

Fishoutofwater Forum Resident Thread Starter

I need a little help. I am thinking of getting some decent Grado phones. My questions are , 1 will my current Cyrus 8sv amp be up to the job or, 2 will i need a headphone amp and if so, 3 how do i connect the new amp into my system. I cant find anything on the net to help me. I am guessing that when using cans i will have to unplug the source from the amp and plug it into the headphone amp? Seems a bit of a drag or am i missing something. Sorry but i live in the middle of nowhere in france and there are no Hi Fi dealers here to talk to!!

Thanks

2. Ham Sandwich

Ham Sandwich Senior Member

Can you supply a link that shows the features of the Cyrus 8sv amp? I did a google search for that model and it took me right to this thread (Google is quick to index threads from SHTV). I looked on the cyrusaudio web site and didn't find that exact model (I may be looking in the wrong section of their site for that amp).

3. Linto

Linto Mayor of Simpleton

What model Grados?
    Has the Cyrus got a headphone output?

If you're getting 60/80/125s the Cyrus would be perfectly fine.
    Above that I would look at a dedicated headphone amp

Great choice btw you can't go wrong with Grados imho, I have 60s and GS1000E

4. Linto

Linto Mayor of Simpleton

5. Fishoutofwater

Hi again and thanks. I cant do "links". Computer stupid me!! However i typed "pdf cyrus vs" and found the user manual if thats any help? I am thinking of Grado RS2e if funds allow.

6. Ham Sandwich

I see that the Cyrus 8sv is an integrated amp with a headphone output and also a tape out/record loop. I don't know what the quality of the headphone output is with that amp. If the integrated headphone output turns out to be not so good you can connect a dedicated headphone amp to the tape output connections. So if necessary it will be easy to add a headphone amp.

I don't consider Grado headphones to be a good choice as a primary headphone. The Grado headphones are not what I would consider neutral. The RS series have a sound that is somewhat equivalent to adding a +3dB shelf centered at about 1800 Hz. That sort of sound makes for a more forward sounding presentation that can be more energetic for rock music but can also cause some shouty vocals and other issues. I don't consider that sort of headphone sound to be at all neutral.

I do own a Grado SR325is. I don't listen to it much. I keep it primarily to remind myself what the Grado sound is like.

The Sennheiser HD600 or HD650 are much much more neutral than any Grado (even the more expensive PS500 or PS1000). But they're also a headphone that needs a very good and powerful headphone amp to make them sound dynamic enough. Some of the HiFiMan headphones can also sound very nice. Some of the Audeze headphones can also be nice for rock music. The Fostex TH-X00 that has been offered by Massdrop is also a very nice headphone for rock, and is actually one of my preferred headphones for rock now. It's a Massdrop exclusive headphone that goes for $399 USD plus shipping (shipping is more expensive to Europe). But you have to wait for them to do a "drop" and offer it for sale. They're currently doing a drop right now that ends in two days. Here's the Massdrop link for that drop. You will likely need to register at Massdrop to see the link. I like the TH-X00 headphone a lot. It is easy to drive. Doesn't need a powerful headphone amp like the Sennheiser's do. The Fostex TH-X00 is a fun headphone for rock and also is fun and does well with classical. They're fun to listen to and also neutral. It's my favorite $400-ish USD headphone right now.

YtseJammer and Dreadnought like this.
  7. Bill

Bill Senior Member

Apples and oranges, I know, but for years, I was using the headphone output on my Sony receiver with some Sennheiser 650s and was happy with the combination. After reading comments on this board, I ordered a Schiit Valhalla 2 out of curiosity, planning to try and return it and pay the 5% restocking fee. I kept the amp, which ups the sound from very good to incredible.
    YMMV.

bluemooze likes this.
  8. Fishoutofwater

Me again. Really fancy the look and the price of the Fostex, but i cant get them in France until September 2016!!! Thanks for the heads up on the tape outputs. A pair of RCA cables would do the trick?

9. RollinHard843

RollinHard843 Forum Resident

That headphone is my current favorite. I love the LCD-2 and all but I think that Grado headphones emphasize things that I like in music the most (I'm a drummer, and I like to hear sticking and attack more than resonance). If you like brighter sounds in music, then the Grado sound would be a good fit. The RS2e may not be close to neutral, but I find their sound production to be very realistic, even compared to the Grado 225e (a very good headphone in its own right). If you like to hear the pluck of an upright bass or the sound (and pitch) of a stick hitting a drum or cymbal, then these are great headphones. Just put on Peter Gabriel's Passion, and you'll have no problem separating shaker sounds from left and right channels, finger cymbals, and steely tablas from other hand drums.

I love the LCD-2 and it's equally good at detail and maybe slightly better at imaging (because of the depth of sound), but I think the RS2e is just amazingly good for picking out sounds in music. But, you have to like a brighter sound to enjoy them :)

recklessczar and rodentdog like this.
  10. Hipper

Hipper Forum Resident

Ham Sandwich knows what he is talking about regarding headphones - check his other posts.

I also agree with his view re Grados based on my experience of only two types of their phones, both quite high end. I found them piercing and they gave me earache.

There are two key factors for your use of headphones - what they sound like and comfort. There is no way to guess this. If you can trial the headphones in your budget that would be best. Find some online dealer who is willing to do this.

11. Randy Goldberg

Randy Goldberg Forum Resident

I am no expert on headphones nowhere near someone like Ham Sandwich, but I do love my Grados. I have 4 sets. GH1 RS1i, GS1000i. and PS1000 and to me they are the best headphones on the market. All I know is I love the Grado sound. My buddy has Stax SR-009 and those are the best headphones I`ve ever heard, but I certainly prefer my PS 1000 to his Senn HD 800.

recklessczar and rodentdog like this.
  12. Ham Sandwich

My issue with Grados is that they can be a tricky headphone to have as your first and primary headphone. Their sound is colored and EQed. Their fit and comfort are also a bit challenging for some people. I view Grados as more appropriate as a second or third headphone rather than your first headphone. Your first and primary headphone should be a headphone that is closer to neutral and something that is going to be more comfortable for longer listening. My advice would be to get a headphone like the Fostex TH-X00 or a Senn HD600 or similar headphone first. Then get a Grado as a second headphone later.

The Grado sound can and does match up well with some recordings. When that happens the sound is very compelling and very good music listening. I have had Grado headphones give me goosebumps while listening when the music pairs well. However there are some recordings that won't pair so well. Parts of the music can end up shouting at you or have other uncomfortable zings that distract.

If I were shopping now for a Grado for me I'd be looking at the PS500. It has a smoother sound and not as much treble as the RS series or SR series. That's more to my liking while still keeping the good parts of the Grado sound. However, the PS500 is $100 more than the RS2, and that may be too much for the OPs budget.

13. Ham Sandwich

The current Massdrop drop for the Fostex headphones won't ship till September. That's a long time to wait if you want the headphones now. The advantage to the Massdrop method is that they are able to negotiate good prices and since they do everything in batches they are able to minimize inventory costs and pass those savings on to the people who buy.

To connect a headphone amp you'd connect a pair of RCA cables to the tape output from your Cyrus receiver and connect the other end of the RCA cables to a headphone amp.

14. chahooa

chahooa Forum Resident

I had a pair of grado for a while. I liked them best through a low powered portable headphone amp that was pretty affordable, running straight from my iphone.

15. Fishoutofwater

Thanks for all your advice. Much appreciated. I guess that once the headphone amp is connected via the tape out socket the headphone amp's volume control cancels the Cyrus volume control? Sorry for the dumb questions but i have never used a headphone amp before!!

16. Ham Sandwich

When a headphone amp is connected to a tape output from a receiver the volume knob on the receiver won't have an effect on the headphone volume. You will need to use the volume knob on the headphone amp.

If you want to experiment you could connect the tape output from your receiver to the recording input on your computer. You'll notice that the volume knob on the receiver won't affect the volume level of what the computer is recording/monitoring.

17. Fishoutofwater

Thanks. Now i understand!! Takes a while!! All i have to do now is decide which amp and which phones.

18. Bill

Bill Senior Member

And, you'll have to turn down the volume on the receiver when using the phones, or the music will also come from the system speakers. I have separates, and just keep the system amp off when using the headphones.

19. Fishoutofwater

i have a"phones" button which cancels the speakers

Bill likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.