Classical "Mega" CD Box Sets

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by dajokr, Jan 28, 2012.

1. J.A.W.

J.A.W. Music Addict

Reading about all the problems with wives/girl friends and music collections and playback at home I am glad I live alone, though my last girl friend didn't have problems with all that - she loved music herself, about the only thing we had in common :)

Back to the topic ;)

Tribute likes this.
  2. scompton

scompton Forum Resident

My wife is hard of hearing and any noise bothers her. I've listened to headphones exclusively for 23 years so I'm used to it. The only issue is you are tethered to the system.

Anyway, back to the boxed sets.

While not a mega box, I'm leaning towards buying the Malcolm Arnold Conifer box from Sony. Over the past six months, I've been buying the original releases as I find them at reasonable prices and they are excellent. I have five of the 11 and I doubt I'll be able to find the remaining six at the price of the box. This is a great set for anyone thinking about checking out Arnold.

[​IMG]

3. Tribute

Tribute Senior Member

On boxsets, I suggest the series of boxsets by pianist Idil Biret.

One of my closest friends, and my favorite vocalist, has a hearing disorder where all sound is painful. She struggles to enjoy our conversations, but music is in her past now.

4. zen

zen Senior Member

This one does not tempt me. I already bought most of their recordings, and kept the discs (composers) that moved me.

5. Tribute

Tribute Senior Member

Not even at half price?

6. zen

zen Senior Member

Stop that! :D

Seriously, I like having the original discs/packaging/booklets that all come with memories...even my Beethoven box set is autographed by all 4.

Last edited: May 28, 2016
  7. Lonson

Lonson I'm in the kitchen with the Tombstone Blues

I don't remember what price point I decided was too high, but I noticed the John Williams box set from Sony is 110 on amazon and I hit "buy." I am proud I resisted this long. Now I'm done for another while.

8. Tribute

Tribute Senior Member

Good! The price on that just has not dropped as some expected. People were spoiled a few years ago when megaboxes were being given away (Yo Yo Ma, Rubinstein, etc). Now the prices stabilize close to the first offered prices. I think the Cleo Laine-John Williams disc is missing from that set.

9. Lonson

Yes, there's this note on the amazon.co.uk page for the set:

Note: The two collaborations with Cleo Laine are no longer owned by Sony and therefore not included in this set.

Not a problem for me.

10. Tribute

Tribute Senior Member

I suppose the Dankworth's (Cleo's married name) may have retained ownership. It is surprising that they were not licensed to SONY, given the very minor labels that have reissued the RCA Victor LPs, and that John Williams actually was a close personal friend. And also odd, in that the Cleo Laine-James Galway recording was included in the Galway box.

Cleo is now 89! Some may remember her taking the USA by storm in the early 1970's.
    Dame Cleo Laine: 'I do my weeping silently, by myself' »

Last edited: May 29, 2016
  11. Malamute Dad

Malamute Dad Well-Known Member

bluemooze and Ben in Colorado like this.
  12. Malamute Dad

Malamute Dad Well-Known Member

13. dajokr

dajokr Classical "Mega" Box Set Collector Thread Starter

[​IMG]

Pre-ordered at Amazon.com for a reasonable $88 USD. Release date July 15.

HDOM and PH416156 like this.
  14. dajokr

dajokr Classical "Mega" Box Set Collector Thread Starter

I have the smaller individual sets by Argerich. She is not my first choice in much of the repertoire, but I love the duo recordings.

The Beaux Arts Trio set is lovely. People tend to be binary with them - love or hate. I love. Of course, they were how I heard much of the trio repertoire first, particularly those of Beethoven, so I will always have a soft spot for them. I also like the sound of the Philips recordings.

Malamute Dad likes this.
  15. Tribute

Tribute Senior Member

My suggestion is to buy them in the order that you listed them. But if you plan to play the music when guests are over for pleasant conversation, buy the Beaux Arts first.

Malamute Dad likes this.
  16. pscreed

pscreed Upstanding Member

Hi MD -

I have the Beaux Arts Trio box. I already owned the original issue of their Haydn set (and I'm sure some other recordings by them here and there) but I could not resist the mega box. I am about 10 discs in at this point and I'm sure it is desert island material. Typical flip top box and sleeves. Very nice book. The music of course is incredible - brilliant performances. Very vivid recordings that are musical and well balanced. I highly recommend this box if you are at all interested in the repertoire it is hard to imagine these performances would be bettered.

I am a big fan of these individual artists mega boxes. I think the role of the artist is sometimes under appreciated in classical music (sounds funny to say I guess)...

Malamute Dad, J.A.W. and Tribute like this.
  17. Lije Baley

Lije Baley Forum Resident

Today is a time, first and foremost, for reflection. Memorial Day began as Grand Army of the Republic Day after the Civil War. Today, for many it means nothing more than auto racing and trips to the beach. For some, it means everything.

Returning to our regularly scheduled broadcast, the link to Import CDs, led me to another low-priced box, the Decca Great Vocal Recitals is $64.33, plus shipping.
    Various Artists Great Vocal Recitals Limited Edition, Boxed Set, 55PC on ImportCDs »

Last edited: May 30, 2016
  18. Lije Baley

Well, well. Import CDs has less than stellar reviews at reseller ratings. I'm hoping my ordering experience will be one of the good ones.

While this is off-topic, I thought I should point out the complaint history as I provided a link to the retailer.

19. jsb!

jsb! Forum Resident

I've never bought directly from them, but I have buy from their eBay storefront quite a lot & have always been happy with them.

20. Tribute

Tribute Senior Member

Thank you for the tip. I just bought it. I will say that importCDs, whether ordered from their site or through amazon marketplace, ALWAYS ships your order. But if you wish to cancel or have any other issue, customer service is poor. You will get your refund eventually, but forget about responsiveness. If they just paid a staff person to be responsive and polite, they could increase their business considerably.

21. Black Elk

Black Elk Music Lover

Here is the Customer Service number for ImportCDs: 855-258-9650. I have not ordered that much from them, but, so far, things have gone fine. If an item is listed as In Stock, you should be fine, if it is listed as Back-ordered, you may be less lucky. I put an order in last November for a few items, including one which was released on Nov. 20. This new item was to be a stocking filler for my wife for Christmas. The item kept showing as Back-ordered, despite being brand, spanking new. I contacted them once to check the status, and they could not tell me anything about when they would get the product. I said I could understand that for an old box-set, but not for a new, just released box-set. A few weeks went by and, with Christmas fast approaching, I called them again to cancel, and ordered the item elsewhere using some money off codes to get close to ImportCDs' low-price. They were fine about it. In contrast, another box-set, which showed as Back-ordered when I placed the order, they were able to ship to me within a few days.

22. Lije Baley

Both boxsets are now "backordered." I "think" they were in stock yesterday. Could we have done that? :tiphat:

23. Tribute

Tribute Senior Member

And the listed price (though on backorder) has jumped back up to $86+. Sale is over. I did get my shipping confirmation.

24. Lonson

Got the John Williams box set in yesterday. Excellent set. I'll have fun exploring this one as I only know about 10 percent of the discs beforehand. Now back to not buying box sets! ;)

Daedalus likes this.
  25. Tribute

Tribute Senior Member

Great! I don't recall....does it have any exclusives - previously unissued material?
    With Spanish Classical Guitar, that is one form of music where I would welcome more multi-artist mega boxes. There are many superbly talented players of the present and past. I'd rather the box narrow its focus (that is, no baroque lute music, no emphasis on flamenco, etc.) The performers interpret the classic Spanish guitar literature so differently, I'd love a set with many such variations, especially by guitarists not yet reissued on CD