beatles 65 apprecation thread

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Meddle, May 27, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. slane

slane Forum Resident

I'm fairly sure it's the same amount of reverb but with the Duophonic delay between channels - making it sound quite disorientating.

The reverb on the US mono master was likely mixed that way at EMI.

Meddle likes this.
  2. rxcory

rxcory proud jazz band/marching band parent

My uncle bought it for me when I was about 13. Stereo. Loved it, kept it after they consolidated the catalogue in the 80's and Beatles For Sale was only released in mono. I couldn't figure out why when the stereo sounded so fantastic.

3. Joe N

Joe N Forum Resident

I've had this album since the early 70's. Great collection of songs, but the one major problem is the bass/treble stereo separation on "I Feel Fine" and "She's A Woman". It sounds awful. I still loved the songs, but wondered why they had to sound like that. Were the standard stereo mixes that are on the "Past Masters" CD available then?

Otherwise, it's one of the better U.S. releases. It's basically half of Beatles for Sale, both sides of the "I Feel Fine" single, plus "I'll Be Back" from Hard Day's Night. Since they released the original British albums on CD, I've embraced that as the true cannon. But I still pull this record out every so often.

4. slane

slane Forum Resident

Yes, they were available. Capitol only had to ask...

Onder likes this.
  5. Joe N

Joe N Forum Resident

I'm guessing Capitol's mindset at the time was to get a hot-selling product out as soon as possible. They probably weren't thinking in terms of creating an enduring recording with quality sound for every track.

forthlin, Onder and slane like this.
  6. Todd W.

Todd W. It's a Puggle

These threads. I just listened last night in mono and stereo and was trying to figure out which Honey Don't I liked more, mono or stereo. I went with the stereo on this one.

Meddle likes this.
  7. Mainline461

Mainline461 Forum Resident

I started collecting records at 11 years old in '69. This was the second Beatles album I owned after Meet The Beatles. Looking back I feel this is an album Capitol got right. There is a certain "feel" that runs threw this entire album, especially the first side (sans maybe Rock and Roll music). Even the cover with the umbrellas kind of sets the sad, rainy day tone and certainly the opener No Reply does.

Grunherz54 and Meddle like this.
  8. sandmountainslim1

sandmountainslim1 Vicar Of Fonz

2014 when I bought an original 33 of it at a flea market. Very good album. I prefer it to Beatles For Sale.

9. slane

slane Forum Resident

Not surprising since it's just Side 1 of BFS minus the last track ;)

Onder and Meddle like this.
  10. Mainline461

Mainline461 Forum Resident

No wonder it works.

slane likes this.
  11. Bingo Bongo

Bingo Bongo Music gives me Eargasms

I didn’t know at the time that the cover versions on this Album weren’t Beatles songs, or that they were different than the UK albums. I started buying them all in the 70’s as a Teen, after I fell in love with the Red Album.

jwb1231970 likes this.
  12. DennisF

DennisF Forum Resident

I liked the LP so much that I also picked up the EP.

[​IMG]

Sick Sick Phil likes this.
  13. Sick Sick Phil

Sick Sick Phil Forum Resident

Beatles For Sale is my 3rd favorite beatles album so i really love '65. I love playing Mr. Moonlight on the way home at night. the two CP songs also kicks ass

Scooterpiety likes this.
  14. jwb1231970

jwb1231970 Ordinary Guy

Actually, the British Help appears to be random tracks thrown together with no rhyme or reason compared to the USA Rubber Soul, that's one album that definitely made more sense thematically.
    When I went back and had to buy again a vinyl collection for the Beatles I chose to have the USA versions, grew up on them.

15. Diego Lucas

Diego Lucas Forum Resident

Yes, it's a great album, easy in my top 5 American Beatles albums.

But i prefer I'll Be Back in the AHDN, it's a curious end of the album, calling the last track with the name, i think the band is breaking the fourth wall .

16. Hall Cat

Hall Cat Senior Member

Meddle likes this.
  17. Price.pittsburgh

Price.pittsburgh Forum Resident

Yeah, I was aware the original mono had reverb from EMI. If the "stereo" versions are actually duophonic then that does explain a lot. What's funnier is how Ticket to Ride on the original US Help stereo soundtrack is a duophonic from the mono single then a fold down from the duophonic on the mono album.

Bingo Bongo likes this.
  18. Meddle

Meddle Forum Resident Thread Starter

Oh lord! That must sound terrible

19. Price.pittsburgh

It does. If you get a hold of the CD from the 2006 box you can experience it

Meddle likes this.
  20. CDmp3

CDmp3 Forum Resident

I prefer Beatles VI which is more unique. This is just Beatles for Sale minus 6 songs + the latest single+ I'll Be Back

21. Price.pittsburgh

IMHO this had to be the worst EP representation of any Beatles LP. One great original but 3 average at best covers.

22. Price.pittsburgh

Of course. That's the idea, to be a similar counterpart to their latest UK release. We can say that about any US album not being original. Beatles VI isn't that original. It's just a lot of the songs from Beatles For Sale that were left of Beatles 65 that you mentioned and stuff left off the US Help from the UK Help and a few singles.

Last edited: May 29, 2016
  23. DennisF

DennisF Forum Resident

I agree now in 2016, but when I saw that EP sitting in the record shop, I had to have it. :D

Price.pittsburgh likes this.
  24. ohnothimagen

ohnothimagen "Live music is better!"

Yes:righton: I've always reckoned "You Can't Do That" should have been the closing track on the UK A Hard Day's Night. "I'll Be Back" definitely points the way forward, though.
    And yes again!:righton: The U.S. Rubber Soul is IMO the only instance where the American version trumps the British version (well, okay, maybe Meet The Beatles! as well)
    Some days I'm in a mood for Beatles For Sale, other days it's Beatles '65...if you put a gun to my head I would give '65 a slight edge over Sale just because '65 has "I Feel Fine" and "She's A Woman" (and "I'll Be Back"). IMO the best of the Beatles For Sale era is represented on Beatles '65.

Price.pittsburgh likes this.
  25. Bill

Bill Senior Member

The "random tracks" that make up side two of the British Help are the other songs recorded @during the recording sessions that produced the songs on side one that made it to the American version. Capitol just decided not to share them with US fans at the time. Read Recording the Beatles or the Lewisohn book on the sessions and you'll see. Absolutely understandable that Americans are not used to associating the British tracks on the same album, but that's the deal. Same with '65/For Sale and Rubber Soul. Really everything before the new contract in January 1967 prohibited Capitol from reshuffling the albums. That the Beatles insisted on such a provision indicates how they felt about those "random tracks."

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.