The Monkees Good Times (1CD)-New 2016 album

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by yellowballoon, Feb 4, 2016.

1. BeatleStair

BeatleStair Senior Member

Oh hey, since you bought the new 50th Lp box set, have you listened to any yet? I still love it but others not so much. What did you think of the sound of the new pressings

D-rock and Mazzy like this.
  2. JerryJ

JerryJ Forum Resident

BeatleStair likes this.
  3. BeatleStair

Lol, that quote above wasn't from me. I love the Peter tracks especially "Wasn't Born to Follow" and "A Better World"

PhoffiFozz, Hutch, Gaslight and 2 others like this.
  4. Actually I just got it yesterday. Had a bunch if trades to bring it and there was one copy so no out of pocket.

havent listened yet but I love love the mono box.

But after all this, would you trust my opinion? :tiphat:

BeatleStair likes this.
  5. sandmountainslim1

sandmountainslim1 Vicar Of Fonz

Did you make that? That is very cool

D-rock, Sammy Banderas and Mazzy like this.
  6. mrbobdobalina

mrbobdobalina Forum Resident

Now that I've listened to the album four times, "Wasn't Born To Follow" is really growing on me. "Notorious Byrds Brothers" being my favorite Byrds album, I've heard their version a hundred times or more, so I think it was just down to getting used to the arrangement on "Good Times". Now I'm anticipating Peter's banjo coming in right after "Hipster"!

PhoffiFozz, marmalade, D-rock and 2 others like this.
  7. BeatleStair

Lol, your snarkiness I can handle as you obviously aren't trolling. I have no problem with a difference of opinion and I enjoy your comments on new pressings

PhoffiFozz, Frank and Mazzy like this.
  8. It's raining here today in Seattle (surprise) but will be in the 80s the rest of the week so today seems like the perfect time to explore this new stereo LP set, even the later albums which I'm unfamiliar with.

Frank and BeatleStair like this.
  9. BeatleStair

Great, listen to "Pisces" and "Birds" I think they both sound great. Love to know what you think.

PhoffiFozz and Mazzy like this.
  10. Are you sure ? :tiphat:

Frank likes this.
  11. BeatleStair

Lol, sure. I probably lean too much in the fanboy column so even if you hate them I'd be curious.

MarkTheShark and Mazzy like this.
  12. Listening to the first one now. I'll go in order.

It's Orange.

BeatleStair likes this.
  13. Glenn Christense

Glenn Christense Foremost Beatles expert... on my block

I know you mention it "could be" the best album of the decade , but I can never make any kind of balanced judgement when a release has only been out a couple of days. The newness has to go away and the release has to settle in for awhile before I'm ready to name anything the telease of the decade. That's quite a high title that a release needs some time to earn IMO.
    :D

Tristero, mrbobdobalina and Mazzy like this.
  14. BeatleStair

First one is the 1986 Rhino master so is a mix of mono and stereo. Not bad but not great. The rest are the current remasters and sound great - to me anyway. Of course Instant is missing a track but that will be taken care of by Rhino.

D-rock likes this.
  15. Mike Visco

Mike Visco Forum Resident

Although not my favorite song on the album, Partridge's contribution(s) probably got me most excited. Wish Warren Zevon was still around and a Stipe/Mills/Buck composition would have been cool too.

Christopher B and Mazzy like this.
  16. It's got an atmosphere that seems different. Quiet clean pressing but I think I prefer the one from the recent mono box better. A bit too brittle but nice. I probably should move this over to that thread before the fire reignites.

17. Mike Visco

1.....2......3.......FRANK BURNS EATS WORMS!!!!!:D

cuddlytoy and mrbobdobalina like this.
  18. Oh yeah. I think the Partrige song, although a bit lite, is a perfect fun summer song.

I can totally hear Andy singing it. I have all the Fuzzy Warble CDs and this would be a great demo addition

Mike Visco likes this.
  19. Mike Visco

Mmmmmm raisins.... "no sir....flies....."

mrbobdobalina and JerryJ like this.
  20. I will post the rest of my opinions of the rsd box in that thread. So check it out later.

BeatleStair likes this.
  21. Millington

Millington Forum Resident

Please, Mazzy. We love your one-liners & humour. Dont give them up, they are what makes this forum worth reading.

22. Well maybe in the cocktails and record threads and others but not here. You're used to it and get the intent :tiphat: Thanks anyway

Millington likes this.
  23. Drifter

Drifter AAD survivor

Speak for yourself, I can almost always hear the artifacts it leaves behind.

24. More of the Monkees Yellowish

Sounds better than the first. Nice full sound. Clean perfect silent pressing. Still a bit of a brittle edge but enjoying it.

25. Dr. Pepper

Dr. Pepper What, me worry?

I've never been a big fan of Peter's music. Love his heart, love his acting, but not so much his music...however, on Good Times I really enjoy all of his songs, I may even like his Fye Bonus track best of all. I certainly like the sentiment of the song. Thank you Peter, nicely done!

Hall Cat and mrbobdobalina like this.