Marantz 2245 - suggestions for speakers & record player

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by schadeyacres, May 28, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. schadeyacres

schadeyacres New Member Thread Starter

I'm looking to buy a vintage Marantz 2245, and of course wanna get speakers and a record player to go with it.

I live in Brooklyn so aptmt isn't huge - so thinking bookshelf speakers, perhaps new ones. Looking for suggestions for speakers (don't wanna spend more than 500) and a record player.

I haven't owned a real stereo in almost 20 years so can use advice.

Was thinking maybe one of these - The Best Bookshelf Speakers for Most Stereos »

thoughts/suggestions? Thank you! -Mike.

2. schadeyacres

PS I'm not wedded to new speakers per se, could also go used.

3. BKphoto

BKphoto JazzAllDay

speakers - ADS the 570's are easy to find...

TT...I like the Vintage Denon tables but I'm sure you can find a nice Technics 1200 somewhere...throw a denon DL 110 cart on it and let it rip...

McLover likes this.
  4. bluemooze

bluemooze Senior Member

Any turntable will work.

My 2238B sounds great with Focal speakers (706V, 826V).

stay crunchy and Mike .S. like this.
  5. SpeedMorris

SpeedMorris Forum Resident

Just peaking at eBay, it seemed that there were several nice Monitor Audio speakers available in your budget range.

6. Destroysall

Destroysall Forum Resident

Hi, Mike!

I would look into the Wharfedale Diamond 10.2 (which through Music Direct is $329+$199 for stands). The reason being is that the Marantz amp provides a generously warm sound which would help warm a relatively neutral speaker like the Wharfedale 10.2 speakers. I wouldn't recommend the ELAC B6 with the Marantz due to the ELAC's already having a colored sound.

Hope this helps!

7. Bananas&blow

Bananas&blow It's just that demon life has got me in its sway

original advents. Easily found in the $200 range. Don't be fooled by their looks, they sound terrific. Very natural and will sound better than any $500 bookshelf out there, Bass is one major reason.

The Large ADVENT Loudspeakers - Henry Kloss Vintage 1970's »

I have a pair of $1600 retail bookshelf speakers that I don't listen to much because these speakers sound better.

Advents are from the same era as the 2245.
    In fact I just bought a Marantz 2245 that is in the shop that I plan on running with them. Ask anyone who has owned these speakers, they sound terrific, natural, balanced. Easy to listen to. They aren't fussy.

McLover and Destroysall like this.
  8. JRF

JRF Forum Resident

What he said. I have a 2245 with the Advents, they sound great.

9. Bananas&blow

You bought a vintage receiver, you might as well go all the way with the vintage thing. Can get a decent vintage TT and advents in your budget and might have some money left over to buy a few lps :)

10. Bananas&blow

Let's be friends

11. jamesmaya

jamesmaya Senior Member

For my den setup I have a Marantz 2220B receiver and vintage Advent 3 bookshelf speakers. I'm very pleased with the sound.

Last edited: May 29, 2016
  12. Had the Marantz 2245 paired with the Wharfdales from Music Direct. Was quite happy b with the combination.. Using a Technics 1800 mkii table which I love because it has all the adjustments you need to get your cartridge aligned perfectly

Except for the speakers bought table and Marantz from AKers on this site

13. HiFi Guy

HiFi Guy Forum Resident

I had a Marantz 2270 with a pair of Large Advents- magical.

My brother had a Marantz 2220 with a pair of Dynaco A-25s- also awesome. The A-25 had the advantage of being a bit smaller (though they still play pretty deep.) The woofers also have a rubber surround, so they won't deteriorate over time as will the Large Advents.

If you decide to go with the Advents, plan on a reform job at some point. It's pretty easy.

14. BayouTiger

BayouTiger Forum Resident

15. BKphoto

BKphoto JazzAllDay

power hungry...

16. Erik Tracy

Erik Tracy Meet me at the Green Dragon for an ale

Agreed.

I had a different set of Infinity speakers: Quantum Jr with the EMIT tweeter. Low impedance, sealed cabinet, low efficiency. Couple that to a 40 watt Sansui receiver and you have the perfect storm for blowing tweeters at room filling volumes.

17. BayouTiger

Yeah, I guess nostalgia got the best of me! My RS1.5's which are almost the same were always powered by my beastly JVC A-X9. They were notoriously tough on amps.

18. Erik Tracy

Erik Tracy Meet me at the Green Dragon for an ale

Not saying they are 'bad'. I liked my set of Quantum Jrs - but I blew several sets of the EMITs trying to recreate a Who concert in my room.

These definitely need power behind them.

19. Mike .S.

Mike .S. Well-Known Member

I'm running a Sansui 2000a amp and had originally bought a pair of Sansui Sp2000's ( now running Focal 807v's). Excellent speakers though the bass is not as exciting as the mids. These are large though and I'd have to wager space may be at a premium.

Oddly, these speakers are tough to sell these days....

20. avanti1960

avanti1960 Forum Resident

21. schadeyacres

I should add that these would be on a table or dresser. Fairly close to the wall. Looking for bookshelf ones since live in a relatively very small aptmt. The room it's in has tall ceilings.

eusebiodiaz likes this.
  22. BayouTiger

I blew several sets of EMIT's as well, eventually they stopped sending tweeters and just sent a repair kit with new diaphragms. Later they sent me a protection kit and that ended the blown EMITS.

Erik Tracy likes this.
  23. Bananas&blow

What kind of music do you listen to? Would you prefer vintage, used or new? In my experience buying used opens up the options quite a bit and can usually increase the quality of the product you can buy, as long as you test out the speakers before you buy them.

Sounds like the Advents are not going to work for you unless you went for the bookshelf model but those are 4 ohm and you might want more than 45wpc to run them. Is there a reason you settled on the 2245 without knowing what speakers? Did you already have a specific 2245 in mind? It has a great reputation. If you haven't checked out Audio Karma yet there are some knowledgable and experienced Marantz owners who are happy to help.

24. Bananas&blow

Also if you place the speakers on a table or dresser it is highly recommended to put something between the speaker and the table or shelf to dampen vibrations. If you don't it will likely muddy up the bass. $20 sorbothene pads will do the trick cheaply. Can get them on amazon. Let us know what direction you go.

25. The Pinhead

The Pinhead KING OF BOOM AND SIZZLE IN HELL

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.